Sign in to follow this  
DoctorWho

Arleigh Burke class destroyer

Dude, that's awesome! Not sure about the gun animations on ground objects, but a quick perusal of the groundobject.dll should provide an answer.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I don't know how to read dll files. It just looks like gibberish to me in notepad. >_>

I'll just give the animation a try and see what happens.

The Phalanx looks great! :good:

I tried modelling one the other day, and it turned out pretty basic, I think you've caught all the details..

Thanks. There's actually a lot of different variations of this weapon mount. So it wasn't just a matter of catching the details, but choosing which details to catch. cool.gif

Here's the nearly-completed model. I'm going to try to finish it up and start skinning this week.

gallery_33721_313_3970.jpg

And here's a close-up on the VLS. Again, these are going on the Tico someday too.

gallery_33721_313_96921.jpg

I'm well underway with texturing. This will be a single 2048x2048 skin, with room for growth for the Flight IIA and other modifications.

gallery_33721_313_53272.jpg

I have to go on a business trip next week, which will take me away from my computer for a while. Therefore I'll try my hardest to get this ship released in some form before then.

I'm well underway with texturing. This will be a single 2048x2048 skin, with room for growth for the Flight IIA and other modifications.

I have to go on a business trip next week, which will take me away from my computer for a while. Therefore I'll try my hardest to get this ship released in some form before then.

Cool! Do you have the decals made up for it? The procedure for ground objects is the same as it is for aircraft. A numbers.lst file, a decal.ini file (both placed in the ship's texture folder), and decals placed by objectname/texture/D sub-folder, in the decals folder.

Cool! Do you have the decals made up for it?

You bet!

gallery_33721_313_131472.jpg

She's already shooting bad guys out of the sky, too.

gallery_33721_313_65837.jpg

In retrospect, it seems that most of the newer ships have dark grey lettering on the name plate rather than traditional white (pictured above), so I may just redo those for consistency.

With regard to the model itself, the mesh is basically done except for railings and flight deck nets... which is a sticking point for me. The ones from the original model no longer fit and would add many thousands of polygons even if I rearranged them to match the new hull. The transparency trick I did for the Bainbridge isn't an ideal solution because these ships are constantly bathed in missile smoke and tga transparencies don't look quite right in those conditions. I could just build new (polygonal) ones by hand, but that will take time. I'm open to suggestions!

is it vitally critical to the visual 'look' of the ship? If truely not, I'd leave them off, and save the polys

just my opinion

I agree with wrench, not to big of a deal

On a side note: the former commander of Cole, Commander Kirk S. Lippold, USN (Ret.) will be in town for a speech on the 14th, I look forward to meeting him.

Edited by colmack

The Arleigh Burke has been uploaded. Here are some preview pics covering the various features and last-minute improvements I made. This post is pic-heavy so sorry about the load times!

I decided to play around with the extended object creation tools in max and was able to come up with some decent railings (only for the main deck) and simple nets for the helo pad. They will only be visible on the high-detail LOD extremely close-in, which is 35k polygons. The medium and far LODs are 15k and 10k respectively.

gallery_33721_313_28608.jpg

And yes, I made provisions for helo operations on this ship.

gallery_33721_313_185718.jpg

From another angle:

gallery_33721_313_24119.jpg

I changed the color of the name plate lettering last minute.

gallery_33721_313_63828.jpg

All weapons have been thoroughly tested, including the guns...

gallery_33721_313_75465.jpg

...Standard Missiles...

gallery_33721_313_31788.jpg

...and Tomahawks.

gallery_33721_313_47581.jpg

As with my Tico, there are two different versions of the ship included: Flight I ships have SM-2, Flight II has Tomahawks.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to finish my new model for the Standard Missile, so I'm afraid we're stuck with the stock ones for a while longer.

gallery_33721_313_24337.jpg

I think the Arleigh Burke is overall my best model so far, so I hope you guys enjoy it.

Thanx!! looking forward to getting my red forces through the screen.......... NOT! :grin:

Thanks for the info, I was wondering why the Flight II's were firing their 5" guns at enemy A/C. I guess I should have read the Readme first. Go ahead Wrench and give me a :blackeye:

I've been working on an updated model with a few fixes and added detail.

gallery_33721_313_91549.jpg

gallery_33721_313_45274.jpg

It's all ready for upload... Or at least that's what I thought until the latest patch broke the task force decal assignment for this and my other modern ships. I'll release it as-is if you guys want.

And replying to dsawan's post from almost a year ago, I will do the Type 45 eventually, if trying to get things working properly in this game doesn't give me an aneurysm first... rolleyes.gif

Release it.