Sign in to follow this  
xclusiv8

A.I and night operations

Does the A.I get any penalties during night time flying? For example for me it is harder to see during night time operations and i have to rely more on my instruments. Dog fighting during night time operations is really hard as well since it is so much easier to loose the target in the darkness.

Thanx

A.I does it job at night operations just like morning operations

i use 'F4' key from inside the cockpit at night so this way i don't lose my targets in the dogfight

good luck

however, the AI only flies a limited amount of aircraft listed as night ops capable

The AI can see at night as good as on day.

The AI can see at night as good as on day.

Yes agree there - might be why TK used to leave the lights on the AI jets so you could see them. :no:

lol yea.

Back when I played DOS Su-27 Flaker 1.0 from 1995, I could only dogfight at night against the Su-24s, without turning up my monitor brightness knob (remember those, they worked so fast and easy). Only the Su-24s had bright red/green wingtip lights that could be seen from long distance. Well, that, and Su-24s were easy meat for Flakers anyways.

It's a know fact that the AI cheats. Plane and simple. Not only can they see in the dark like a cat with NVDs, they probably have the ears of a bat, and use echo-location

If only the AI visual blind arcs worked we could tweak them along with opponent visible distance to create "night" versions of any airplane. Streak says the arcs don't work, and possibly never have (I think I gather that from his poastings...!!!). A quick test I did on every Patch level since SF 1.0 makes me think the visual arcs never worked. Maybe its different in SF-2 but I ran back to SF-1 after a few days of un-modifiable 62km horizon distance.

Hopefully, my quick tests were WRONG. Anybody ever use the arcs successfully?

For interfering with AI night vision, something I've philosophized about is using the Line Of Sight feature of the game's flak puff clouds but replace the cloud tga's with clear invisible tga's and vary their altitude levels. I know the flak puff clouds can be made to appear at varying altitudes within a defined altitude range (instead of a single altitude cumulus base). Anyways, if that could work to blind AI pilots from seeing other aircraft in an on/off fashion then that could be a way to simulate night light levels on the AI. I never tested exactly what happens when AI aircraft lose LOS to its opponent since I quickly eliminated these clouds from my game. Using them as invisible "clouds" to simulate night combat would interest me though.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor