Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Did anyone see UncleAl here recently?

I don't think you're being fair with uncle. While I might not agree with his political views, in terms of OFF forum he helped a lot of people.

Maybe he was a bit rude sometimes but after the last year temporary ban, I didn't see him being rude in OFF's forum.

He was one of the few who visited the Help section of this forum, and visited to help others.

I'll miss him. And I'll miss him a lot.

Interesting phenomena here. The "dead guy" has no faults and was a great person.

I will go out on a limb and say bye-bye and don't let the door hit you in the arse.

Obviously I didn't think much of him.

Another interesting phenomena - Have you ever noticed in reading here the number of new members/first-time posters who have come here, asked a typical "new guy" question - were then lambasted by the old fool for being dumb - and they never posted here again? I have. Wonder how much new blood we have lost.

:bye:

I am just such a new guy who got slammed by UncleAl for asking a question after saying that I had searched the databases for the answer. Got the answer from several helpful fellows, and one snotty admonition to search the databases from UncleAl. I asked his forgiveness for bothering him, thanked the others for their help, and moved on. His insight was not so unique that it will diminish my experience with this forum...

I'm trying to stay neutral, but when a new guy is attacked for saying or doing something, it's not just him who gets driven away, but who knows how many other forum visitors are looking on trying to decide to remain lurkers in the background or just disappear altogether.

When you join a new forum, it takes a while to know what you're getting in to. It's only natural for somebody to be shy, or a bit nervous at first, and getting savaged by some forum 'elder' in your first couple of posts is neither fair nor healthy.

If Uncleal wants to rant and wilfully offend people, then that's up to him, but here's not the place for it. Just behave like a grown-up. Why force others into the unpleasant job of banning you? You just spoil your day, and theirs, and all for what?

One thing I practice in my life is "to treat others as I would like to be treated myself". I teach my kids that as well and feel it is one of the most important things anyone can learn. Perhaps uncleal never bothered to think of things in that way but its a shame that someone who offered so much in the way of help could turn on someone just as quick.

Interesting phenomena here. The "dead guy" has no faults and was a great person.

Obviously you're still alive then....

I wonder if he'll be back in another guise?.. AuntieAl perhaps? :drinks:

I had a bit of fun over at the Sim-Outhouse once..I signed up as another user, calling myself 'Redneck Rampage'

I posted a couple of tame threads, before I started just posting more and More obnoxious, inflammatory posts, just for a laugh really!...I ended up with a scarily large following, before I was banned!

It's a case in point however...we should be rightly proud of the behaviour on this Forum...we are often commended in one way or another, by the moderators here....it's a pleasant 'family' of like minded loonies, and of course, like all families, there are occasional squabbles, but closed posts are rare here (and are usually caused by Sim Bashing).....unlike some forums out there (yes, you know which ones I'm talking about)...this is a great place to while away a bit of time, read interesting stuff..have a giggle, and chew the fat!....long may that be the case.

I'm sorry Uncleal is gone, as it's one less OFFer...but he has..So, we just need to move on

Thank you all for your points of view, and I know they are all mostly right, and what I also think is true.

The negative ones as the positive ones.

It made me sad to see someone banned, who has been with the OFF Forum since P2 - maybe since P1.

But you guys are also right, who say, that a grown up person should learn to behave like one.

He had his warnings surely.

A re-appearance in another guise would be impossible for him I guess, Widowmaker - that would be like

an elephant putting on thick glasses with a cardboard nose and moustache, and a blue bowler hat.

UncleAl was an original - in his bad as in his good moments.

Farewell, Unc! :salute:

A re-appearance in another guise would be impossible for him I guess, Widowmaker - that would be like

an elephant putting on thick glasses with a cardboard nose and moustache, and a blue bowler hat.

UncleAl was an original - in his bad as in his good moments.

Farewell, Unc! :salute:

You spoke too soon, Olham.

mm.jpg

As Shredward says apparently repeated warnings and re-instatements came before, and now he has been banned for some more bad posts and could not be brought in line anymore, or given anymore chances. We intervened a few times on his behalf due to his other kinder side for new flyers here. I didn't realise even his useful stickies where gone that's a blow and his replies to help people. I will ask further on that.

It is a shame that his stickies, and useful advice has gone, and I hope you are able to get it recovered for the use of new members.

Another interesting phenomena - Have you ever noticed in reading here the number of new members/first-time posters who have come here, asked a typical "new guy" question - were then lambasted by the old fool for being dumb - and they never posted here again? I have. Wonder how much new blood we have lost.

I agree with this quote completely, when I first got interested in OFF and had requested a P2 DVD from Nio, I posted a couple of thoughts about the aircraft in the simouthouse forum and got a thoroughly scathing reply from uncleal. Fortunately a couple of the other forum members quickly lept to my defence and persuaded me by their kindness to put uncleal's comments aside and to continue with my participation.

However it left me with a distrust of uncleal, and although he was helpful on other occassions he never helped without being scathing and leaving you feeling like something unpleasant he had stepped on. That is why you will have seen some of my newer correspondence with him on this forum be quite biting towards him.

I have to say that he is the only member of the forum that I have ever had a problem with and I have enjoyed every bit of correspondence I had with the rest of you. I have particularly found your answers to my computer problems very helpful. I have also enjoyed the information about the "first war in the air" that you have shared with me.

I am sure uncleal is lurking on this forum, and if so all I can say to him is we have had our differences, but at the end of the day, as someone who is physically handicapped myself I can only wish you well with your health both mental and physical.

As Shredward says "we will remember you"

Edited by Rugbyfan1972

Hey folks, just wanted to chime in here to let people know what's going on.

Unfortunately, uncleal was banned. The method we used is a 'one click' program that flags the culprit as a spammer. The effect is that every post ever made by that individual is deleted as well. Some of those posts may be recoverable.

However, he was given absolutely every opportunity to not have this happen.

Posts and threads were removed, edited. He was warned, multiple times in public and in private by several folks. There is an area called 'The Arena' on our website where we specifically allow controversial topics to be discussed (see here: http://combatace.com/topic/57713-political-discussions/ for more details). This area was created in large part for uncleal to play in. He was put on moderated status for a while as a 'you're quickly running out of rope' warning. Many posts were controversial and a few were borderline racist.

In short, he was banned because he refused to respect the website. This forum is like a private party...you can play as long as you play by the rules. We'll let small stuff slide on a case by case basis. But if you're consistently obnoxious about not staying within the guidelines, you're not long for this website. Uncleal was actually given far more leeway than most members would get because he has contributed a significant amount to the OFF community. However, if you get to the point where you are pissing off the owner of the website (probably the most tolerant of all the admins and moderators), you're screwing up by the numbers.

We understand that uncleal has had a rough time in the real world these last several years, which has shaped his outlook on life and online.

It's not an excuse. We have members here who've had to deal with homelessness, clinical depression, addiction, debilitating cognitive or physical challenges, cancer and other illnesses. They don't use that as an excuse to behave badly here.

Anyway, that's the full story of what has happened to uncleal.

FC

Thanks FC least it clears up why the posts went a missing... Though I think we all know what had happened with Uncleal being like he was...

Nobody is blaming the forum administration. Probably not even uncleal.

I believe that you've done what you've to do.

But thanks for the official explanation.

Thanks for the explanation. It's a shame Uncleal never learned his lesson. Maybe he just couldn't control himself, I don't know.

As I said - I had missed the posts, which were the final straws.

I understand your decision, and I guess you were even more patient with him

than many others would have been.

Thank you for taking the time to explain, Fast Cargo.

Thanks for posting that FC. Unlceal does know that he messed up, think he just could not stop himself. As you say most people here will have had plenty of the worst life can throw at us to deal with and still have to get on. Main thing is we are all here as guests so should act accordingly.

Ah jeese. I think I may have helped trigger this..:blink:

I resurrected an old thread in one of the other OFF subforums and chided uncleal about his rather gruff 'welcome' of a woman who was a first time user of OFF who was having some technical problems.

He returned a post in response to mine in that thread, about how he was going to leave this forum.

Sorry guys, I may have had a hand in this, if I had known...

Lewie, Uncleal's problems are definitely not your fault. He just went too far too many times.

Yeah, Lewie, don't blame yourself in this.

I'm sure UncleAl doesn't blame you, either.

Yeah, Lewie, don't blame yourself in this.

I'm sure UncleAl doesn't blame you, either.

Knowing UncleAl...........you can bet your ass he does.......:grin:

Folks, uncleal has no one to blame but himself.

No one here precipitated his departure...he did it to himself and it was a long time coming.

FC