Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

Old school video games...

5th Fleet looks interesting.

Need Dos Box obviously

ppfffftt

Just rip out the Windows drive, and stick in an old hard drive with DOS on it. Post-post-modern systems still boot into MS-DOS. Best game out there is *still* Master Of Orion 1 from 1993.

Every new box I build, I first test it with an old 125MB hard drive with DOS 6.22. It always works...until now. Yesterday I slapped up a new Sandy Bridge and AMI BIOS gives this drive 0 MB although the drive works fine in the recent Athalons I built (AWARD BIOS), but a Samsung 1.2Gb drive with DOS works great in this new SB box. There was a wall about 400MB that they had to cross for addressing hard drive space (its memory after all, magnetic) and I suspect that compatibility with something as old as 125MB has something to do it.

lol I got 16GB RAM and 1.2GB hard drive Hahaha. Will load a Window and current stuff soon enough though. :good:

5th Fleet looks interesting.

ppfffftt

Just rip out the Windows drive, and stick in an old hard drive with DOS on it. Post-post-modern systems still boot into MS-DOS. Best game out there is *still* Master Of Orion 1 from 1993.

Every new box I build, I first test it with an old 125MB hard drive with DOS 6.22. It always works...until now. Yesterday I slapped up a new Sandy Bridge and AMI BIOS gives this drive 0 MB although the drive works fine in the recent Athalons I built (AWARD BIOS), but a Samsung 1.2Gb drive with DOS works great in this new SB box. There was a wall about 400MB that they had to cross for addressing hard drive space (its memory after all, magnetic) and I suspect that compatibility with something as old as 125MB has something to do it.

lol I got 16GB RAM and 1.2GB hard drive Hahaha. Will load a Window and current stuff soon enough though. :good:

I was keeping it simple... I work with Lawyers...

I am a sucker for Dosbox (also on Android!!!) and for ScummVM so I can play

Maniac Mansion (1 and 2) and the Monkey Island games.

Man, do I love retro!

I have:

-A DOS emu (Dosbox and ScummVM).

-A C64 emu (WinVice)

-An Amiga emu (WinUAE)

-A NES emu (Nestopia)

-An arcade collection under MAME.

With a total of about 250 GB of 'abandonware' and ROMs.

Sheesh, where do I find the time to play SF2 or an FPS??!!

Start::

I was keeping it simple... I work with Lawyers...

Yea, I didn't think about that. :salute:

Mues::

Sheesh, where do I find the time to play SF2 or an FPS??!!

Its hard to beat some of the old stuff. Something went wrong in game development over the decades.

Some time ago, I found a site that made editors or something, so you could mod Master Of Orion 1, change map setups, add races maybe I don't recall. Don't know where it is now.

1942 Pacific Air War.....god, I LOVED that game!

Recently took delivery of an Acer Aspire One D255 netbook from my work - not impressed at the spec, Intel atom 1.66GHz, 1GB DDR 3 memroy, a 10.1" screen and a low-grade Intel integrated chip. All on Win7 Starter Edition 32-bit. Was thinking the office had a cunning plan to make me actually do some work :blink:

But, hey, a bit of fiddling and I find it runs the following rather well, more or less out of the box:-

DI Apache Longbow (D3D renderer)

F-22 Total Air War 2.0

EF2000 v2.0 (Win 95 install)

Janes Fighters Anthology (use script to disable explorer, runs like a champ)

Comanche 4 (good for playing with mouse and keyboard on the train)

Those old low-res sims actually look and play pretty well on a 1024x600 10.1" screen.

Thank goodness, I was worried I might have to do some work :grin:

Plus, got Starcraft, Diablo II, Half Life, AvP (original 1999 release), Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, Battlezone 1.5 and GTA3 for light entertainment.

Hail the netbook for retro gaming :drinks:

Edited by Baltika

I prefer dosbox over native dos for most games given it's a bit of a pain doing all the old dox memory dances as well as joystick and sound card support. With the rigs these days most dosbox based games run just fine.

I still love F-15 Strike Eagle II (yes, I said II (two, 2, dos)) and F-117 Stealth Fighter from Microprose.

Age of Rifles still can't be beat.

I recently got Star Trek The Next Generation - A Final Unity installed under dosbox. Looks danged good for as old as it is.

I run Win98 under a VM just so I can play the Great Battles Series from iMagic. (The game's got a weird glitch under XP and higher where the right mouse click commands don't work..)

And then I found Good Old Games. OMG......www.gog.com

Sim Farm. WOOOHOOOO!!!! I remember playing that game when I was 7.

I would love to play Strike Commander again

Is it safe to use this site? When wanting to play games in the browser it asks to install an application.

Yep, some of the old stuff never goes out of style...I have a WinXP partition just so I can play BattleZone and Jane's F-15. Everything else I've been able to get to work in Win7 x64 with DOSBox/Glidewrapper/GOG games.

Love GOG games by the way...awesome company!

FC