Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

China goes to Sea...

Mako's dead on the money. I really don't understand where this strong vein some Americans (basing this one the Seppos I work with and the sentiment here at CA) have of wanting to 'punch-on' with China is coming from. Is it a holdover from the Cold War? I mean, I would have figured Pakistan would have arguably deserved the US's ire considering their involvement with Bin Laden and their duplicitous relations in regards to Afghanistan and Al Qaeda. China has hardly done anything to the US other than rival it in several fields.

China's going to be much more concerned about Taiwan, the Spratley Islands (Vietnam) and the Senkaku Islands (Japan) than confrontation with the US. Especially with all that PRC funded US debt. If there was a confrontation and the US decided to cut any debt/interest payments, the Chinese economy would crash inside of 48 hours. Money is the name of the game and countries going to war is bad for business.

They got the idea about having a carrier late and it never paid off for them.

Whataya mean? The Navy wanted carriers since the late forties, but Stalin didn't care for them. The Navy wasn't a powerful faction in Russian politics and the design bureaus were discouraged from developing in that direction which is why Soviet ship-borne aviation didn't receive much attention until the late sixties/early seventies.

Edited by ZmelliFahrdz

When I say "idea" I mean "got off their asses and built one." Talk is just talk, it means little.

As for why some seem so willing to start a fight with China, I think it has 2 aspects. One, it's the "America first" mentality taken to the extreme that we must STAY the biggest military force. They can accept China being physically larger with more people and land, but not that there's a country out there (other than Russia w/its nukes) that we can't say jump and get a "how high?" response. Two, it's the communist thing. If China was a big happy democracy like India, you'd see a lot less gnashing of teeth. After all, while India isn't an ally, it's also not a rival. We have some overlapping interests, some competing ones, but no one would ever imagine us fighting each other...perhaps it's the British colonial connection? :grin:

The idea that a communist country could ever surpass the US in economic and/or military strength after just a few decades is galling to them.

Hopefully, no one that feels that way will be in any position of real power or influence for the forseeable future.

But China hasn't been communist other than in name since late 90's. If anything they're more fascist in the proper sense of the term given their embrace of corporate capitalism.

• Like 1

Its is the first step of China in the field of carrier operations. Its a difficult job. A very difficult job. It will need years to train the pilots, the ground crews and the ship crews. It will be timeconsuming, very expensive and it will cost lives. And then is the question, wheter the chinese can compare with the skills of the US carrier fleets. The more than a half century long experiences of the US boys the chinese cant copy.

I remember reading a US Admiral's quote in a magazine article back in the 80s when the Soviets were training their first carrier squadron. It was something along the lines of" We have decades of experience under our belt and still crash on occasion. They'll be routinely wiping out for quite a while until they get the hang of it".

Guest rscsjsuso5

Just my two cents on the topic -

In fact China indeed needs many years of training on the Varyag but thanks to Brazil , Brazil has given China some/initial training of aircraft carrier operations . China has also created a makeshift platform for training . China has also been rapidly buidling the J-15 for the Varyag. To the Russia and Ukraine thanks for the Varyag. To Brazil thanks for the training . China has the planes and initial training but with more training on an actual carrier it will take many years. It will take very long time for the Varyag to be 100 percent , we only have a carrier that can go to sea and have basic radar equipment , it will take many years to install the high tech portion with the aid and studying from Brazil and Russia.

---

Some useful links-

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OFVadkPVuO8J:www.jamestown.org/single/%3Fno_cache%3D1%26tx_ttnews%255Btt_news%255D%3D35116+brazil+train+china+aircraft+carrier&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

http://www.freerepub...509/replies?c=1

http://cnair.top81.c...ghter/J-15h.jpg

http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-defence/119424-china-starts-its-home-made-aircraft-carrier-construction.html

Edited by rscsjsuso5

brings back memories