Sign in to follow this  
liamp51

Vietnam FPSs

oh, I just found another one -familiar with the Conflict series?

Conflict:Vietnam, but I don't much like it (I like the Conflict series as whole, Global Operations was the best, Denied Ops lost it but was fun shooter)

I thought the gap from H&D1 to H&D2 was long (anyone get the expansion for 2? Sabre Squad? great stuff), but H&D2 is now what, 6+ years old?

They made Mafia 2, which offers some hope, but I fear H&D3 might just be CoD:WaW2 from a different developer...

I'm not so fan of those Stalingrad sniper->jump to Iwo Jima->jump to Berlin campaigns...

BTW, was there any FPS based on Korea?:blink:

could try Armed Assault 2 VTE but I think its still WIP. You could get the OFP VTE as well but its older. However, i like it due to the fact you can play both sides and use the mission bilder to make your own missions and campaigns. they are free just have to buy the OFP 1 or Armed assault 2 discs.

http://tactical.nekromantix.com/vte/

Edited by dsawan

Yeah I remember VTE for OFP, also there was that Unsung mod, I think there was (or is in the works?) Arma/Arma2 version

Unsung Mod is in ArmA 2 as well. I think it included a couple single missions.

As far as I know there has never been a Korean War FPS.

Doing a really good Vietnam war game is one of my plans after I get a company up and going and finishing my initial educational "game". I have bits and pieces of the story imagined and written for the vietnam game.

A big thing I want as part of the game are your actions affecting the outcome, not of the war obviously, but your personal story. The thing is, I want the choices to be more "natural" than most games that give you choices. Games like Mass Effect or bioshock throw storyline and moral/ethical choices at players, except its always very easy to choose, you're given dialogue choices and its usually pretty clear what is good/bad, in whose favor and how you can double cross everyone.

What I want to do is take away the obvious choices and decision point from the player. Rarely in a stressful situation do you get a moment where you can stop and choose like that, an action you may not have even given any thought to could have a large impact latter on without the player knowing it. That, and to really throw the whole good/bad dichotemy out the window, so the player doing what is normally being the "good" character in a game might have a really nasty consequence and doing what's "wrong" might have lead to a better outcome.

Maybe I'll do a Korean War game before that to hone the team and technology for a really good war game before tackling Vietnam.

I've heard rumors about possible Korea DLC for Battlefield 3 at EA forums... just like the 'Nam for BC2 :dntknw:

there were few budget titles I own set in Vietnam, "Line of Sight:Vietnam", and "Elite Warriors:Vietnam" -the latter more squad oriented, kinda reminded me of ancient Lost Patrol (Amiga 500 times!) or Sabre Team.

Both used modified "Deadly Dozen 2" engine, to my own suprise I DID have had fun times playing these :blink:

Elite Warriors Vietnam was never finished. I was a beta tester for it and we were still testing a gold build when it was released. then came a mad dash to fix it then the team was thanked and the game was left on it's own.

Shame as it wasn't that bad... I missed the weapons in first person view

there is Red orchestra 2 mod of Vietnam in the works also. Do a search for it and it looks good from pics I've seen.