Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Softer Labels & smaller TAC now in the Download section

For all who want softer Label colours and a smaller TAC screen, I have uploaded my version

of the "ViewUI.xml" for you. If you want to return to the default one, you only need to delete it,

and change the "Master Copy of ViewUI.xml" into "ViewUI.xml".

The file has to be placed here (in VISTA or Win 7):

(your computer name) > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

Perhaps a Windows XP user can add here, where the file path is there?

Thank you Olham - I've been wanting to add this. good.gif

Thanks Olham.

I've been trying to use both these features as little as possible. There are times, however, like in blinding snow during the present time period, when I need a little extra help! I like the idea of these subtler versions.

Thanks for this Olham; I tried the 23:13 FOV setting you recommended (Workshop would not accept the more zoomed-in 21:12) and even in the external view, this has zoomed in the view, to the extent that aircraft are definitely more visible when further away, which is great. Have also grabbed your softer labels viewui.xml for use when needs be, tho I have edited the yellow target bracket to 'off' (0) - I use padlock but prefer no bracket - and I increased the virtual cockpit view rotation (panning) rate from 0.9 to 1.5 for a quicker 'check six' when using panning rather than snap views (it's a nuisance you have to break padlock to snap or pan your view; in RoF I like the way you can look around then snap straight back to padlock).

I may be imagining things but increasing the ground fire accuracy in Worhshop from easy (=low accuracy?) to normal (=more accurate?) seems to have reduced the previously very wild spread of Archie bursts, thus further helping ID targets. I had applied the lower setting to tone down ground MG fire, after one shot my lovely OFF Bristol F2b out from under me on my second campaign mission. But it seems that reduced Archie accuracy too. With Archie more accurate, and your 'more zoomed in' FOV settings, air combat in OFF is gonna be a whole lot less frustrating. Now all I really need is for P4 (or a P3 mod) to fix the 'lightweight AI', and hopefully the poor flight formation-keeping, too. Thanks again!

Anything for the sake of joyfull OFF-flying, LIMA - cheers! :drinks:

I have been using Olhams little mod for a long period of time and am totally happy with it. Personally I can't do without the labels because, I am wearing such strong glasses any stronger they will be bloody binoculars, and they may be a tad klunky.

Very nice addition !

This merry band of flyers in the off forums has to be the best community ive experienced in all my gaming days! :drinks:

Personally I can't do without the labels because, I am wearing such strong glasses any stronger they will be bloody binoculars...

Hihihi - the benefits of getting old, eyh?

Thank you all.

I've loaded this mod and really like the effect. Could you change the size of the HUDs, and colour of the text, from this file?

I still use the compass, because the BE2 doesn't have one, and wondered if it could be made smaller. I also just have the throttle setting peeping into the bottom corner of the screen.

Neither of them are that obtrusive, but is it possible to alter them if you wanted to?

I may be imagining things but increasing the ground fire accuracy in Worhshop from easy (=low accuracy?) to normal (=more accurate?) seems to have reduced the previously very wild spread of Archie bursts, thus further helping ID targets. I had applied the lower setting to tone down ground MG fire, after one shot my lovely OFF Bristol F2b out from under me on my second campaign mission. But it seems that reduced Archie accuracy too. With Archie more accurate, and your 'more zoomed in' FOV settings, air combat in OFF is gonna be a whole lot less frustrating. Now all I really need is for P4 (or a P3 mod) to fix the 'lightweight AI', and hopefully the poor flight formation-keeping, too. Thanks again!

At easy level, the Archie isn't very useful with pointing out targets. But especially for early war careers, I use it. AA fire wasn't the great killer during WW1. You should think about that bank robbery for getting the money for TrackIR. Makes the life of a virtual pilot a lot easier. :grin:

Olham, I've said it many times before, but these TAC and label improvements are great. :drinks:

Edited by Hasse Wind

Could you change the size of the HUDs, and colour of the text, from this file?

I don't know; must check it again. But you know that you can switch the gauges and the blue text off

by pressing F5 (I think it was?)

Also note, that you can switch off each gauge seperately.

You need to press Ctrl. + Shift plus the numbers 1 - 4.

So, if you press Ctrl. + Shift + 1 repeatedly, you should be switching through the gauges,

until it disappears completely. Now you would want to keep the Compass;

but then do it with the numbers 2, 3 and 4, to get rid of the other gauges.

Thank you, HW!

Hellshade, I had added a picture in the upload, but for some reason it doesn't appear.

Just backup your ViewUI.xml and try it out.

Edited by Olham

For some reason I can't find the path to this (hidden?) folder to place the file. Any suggestions?\

Edit: I think I'm figuring it out. :good:

Edited by Shiloh

Wayfarer, I tried but couldn't really find the size to change for the gauges.

Hellshade and all - here are two screenshots of the Labels.

I see you beat me to it Olham but here's another screenie anyhow showing the TAC as well. Nice job with this - I will surely use it. Those bright red and blue names were starting to drive me crazy especially in the thick dogfights of 1918.

shot090411104735.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

For those of you who might prefer white TAC blobs for all aircraft and white/opaque labels in flight (makes them difficult to see), try Von Baur's fabulous modded version of ViewUI.XML

Here:

ViewUI.xml

Edited by themightysrc