Sign in to follow this  
Seawolf

Poll: Which aircraft would you want added?

Of the 4 aircraft listed, which would you want the most?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Of the 4 aircraft listed, which would you want the most?

• F14D Tomcat
    • AV8B Harrier (British and USMC)
    • F15E Strike Eagle
    • Tornado GR1

Just curious what aircraft we would choose to add if LOMAC ever did an addon after release.

What? The majority of you go for the Tomcat?

I mean, yeah, I like the plane too, but I'd get bored of knocking off targets 120 miles away. I'm sorry, its A2G for me.

Ever heard of the bombcat??

Well if not, A2G in a tomcat. The cat was certified for A2G right after the Gulf War

problem solved!!

bombcat.gif

The F-14A can carry up to 14,500 pounds of bombs and rockets, although it was not originally assigned a ground-attack mission. The under-fuselage pallets which ordinarily carry Phoenix missiles can also mount bomb racks for 1000-pound Mk 83 or 2000-pound Mk 84 bombs or other free-fall weaponry. As early as 1972, a Tomcat flew with 18 Mk 82 bombs, plus a complement of missiles. VF-122 dropped the first bombs from a Fleet Tomcat on August 8, 1990. Although the F/A-18 Hornet is the primary air-to-ground aircraft of the Navy fleet squadrons, the F/A-18 is felt to lack a sufficient range/payload capacity, and the air-to-ground capable F-14 Tomcat was felt to be essential to permit a carrier-based air wing to retain its full capacity. However, there were initially some shortages of bomb racks, and it was often true that only one F-14 squadron on each carrier was equipped to carry out a secondary ground attack role, with the other squadron being TARPS-equipped. Software for a ground attack mission has now been installed on all F-14Bs and Ds, as well on some F-14As. Today, the training syllabus includes some emphasis on air-to-ground strike, although such missions would only be carried out in a relatively permissible combat environment because of the high cost of the Tomcat.

For a while, an advanced bomb-equipped F-14 Tomcat was pictured as a replacement for the General Dynamics A-12 Avenger II, cancelled in December 1990.

Initially, the Tomcat could carry only conventional "dumb" bombs, and had no precision-guided munition capability. It was not compatible with guided weapons such as the AGM-84 Harpoon, the SLAM, the AGM-65 Maverick, the Walleye, or the AGM-88 HARM. It initially could not even carry or deliver laser-guided bombs. However, the ability to deliver laser-guided bombs such as the GBU-10, GBU-12, GBU-16, and GBU-24 was added in 1994, although the Tomcat initially had to rely on other aircraft to designate the targets. The first GBU-16 laser guide bombs were dropped from a Tomcat of VF-103 on May 2, 1994. The Tomcat first dropped such bombs in anger when two F-14s of VF-41 attacked targets in Serbia with GBU-16s on September 5, 1995, with F/A-18s painting the target with AN/AAS-38A Nite Hawk laser designators.

The Tomcat lacked any type of FLIR and laser designator which would make it possible to operate at night and to deliver laser-guided bombs autonomously. The Martin-Marietta LANTIRN (Low Altitude Navigation and targeting Infra-Red for Night) pod was selected to provide this capacity for the Tomcat. The LANTIRN pod is attached to the starboard wing glove pylon. The aircraft was equipped with a GPS antenna, and the antenna was linked to a Litton GPS/IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) that was incorporated into the LANTIRN pod. This allows the pod to find targets without the need for a radar fix. The system was first tested on an F-14B drawn from VF-103 in February of 1995. The F-14B testbed first flew with LANTIRN on March 21, 1995. The first LANTIRN pod was delivered in June of 1996. The first operational cruise with LANTIRN-equipped Tomcats took place that very month.

The LANTIRN pod has its own computer, but must interface with the AN/AWG-15 via a MIL STD 1553B digital databus, so the F-14s must be retrofitted with such a databus before they are compatible with the LANTIRN. The rear cockpit of the LANTIRN-equipped Tomcats are equipped with a Programmable Tactical Information Display (PTID) which can display both radar and LANTIRN information. PTID is not actually required for the use of LANTIRN, although the quality of the image is a lot poorer when seen on the F-14's standard displays. The LANTIRN-equipped Tomcat can be steered to the target by its own onboard INS or by using input from the GPS. If the location of the target is known, the GPS can automatically point the FLIR at the target. The RIO in the rear seat designates the target by using the laser in the pod after the pilot has released the weapon. The LANTIRN can even be used in the air-to-air role, being used in much the same manner as the TCS. However, TARPS-capable F-14s cannot carry LANTIRN.

The LANTIRN does not have all-weather capability, since rain, cloud, and fog severely degrade the FLIR imagery. In order to give the F-14D a true all-weather air-to-ground capability, the radar is currently being upgraded to have air-to-ground mapping capability

Sources:

Grumman Aircraft Since 1919, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press, 1989.

Grumman F-14 Tomcat, Doug Richardson, Osprey, 1987.

F-14 Tomcat: Fleet Defender, Robert F. Dorr, World Airpower Journal, Vol 7, 1991.

Grumman F-14 Tomcat Variant Briefing, World Airpower Journal, Vol. 19, 1994.

Grumman F-14 Tomcat Variant Briefing, Part 2, World Airpower Journal, Vol. 20, 1994.

The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

Encyclopedia of World Military Aircraft, Volume 1, David Donald and Jon Lake, AirTime, 1994.

The World's Great Interceptor Aircraft, Gallery Books, 1989.

Feline Claws--The Nine Lives of the F-14, David Baker, Air International, Vol 49, No 5, p. 285 (1995).

25 Years of the Tomcat, Rene J. Francillon, Air Fan International, March 1996

Grumman F-14 Tomcat, Edited by Jon Lake, AIRtime Publishing USA, 1998.

http://store6.yimg.com/I/militarybest_1721_151471196

OK the F-14 is still one of my favorite planes but in reality the F-18 Super Hornet should be added to that list. It is one of the most advanced planes in the United States. The poor F-14 is going to be retired and sent on permanet vacation in Arizona.

TM

Do you know it takes 3 F/A-18 E to do the same job as 1 tomcat??

The cats service life will be extended again as it is still a more cost effective choice as well, and these days price is king.

.....in fact out of that plane list the only one that can give the F-18 Super Hornet competition is the F-15 Strike Eagle and even still I think The Hornet could take it. The Harrier is a sitting duck and has zero dogfighting ability. If the Harrier even takes one missile hit the pilot would most for sure die because of the location of the engines.

TM

Sorry not trying to rub anyone wrong here I'm just thinking from a dogfighting stand point with guns only. :D

TM

The Cat can simultaniously engage 6 targets, at different airspeeds and altitudes due to the phoenix having its own radar, while the hornet can fire only 2 sparrows at a time against targets which are close together. Unlike the phoenix, the sparrow requires the hornet to continue flying toward the target using its radar, thus making it vulnerable to a return missile shot

RGR that FastEagle like I said in the earlier post I too love the F-14 but I did not state what I know about the F-14. Yes the F-14 is a one man army and has a very effective rdr and weapons system. And can out run the F-18 too. I was just mainly focusing on the dogfighting stand point when we all get throne into the sortie and we're like less than 2miles from each other from the get go. I am not trying to have a battle of the witts with ya bud :lol: Besides, you have me out gunned for I believe you are an actual F-14 pilot yourself. That sir is the highest honor when it comes to us playing these flightsims....wishing we could actually fly them. The F-14 is a true work horse of the Navy and that is why its still being used today.

TM

Guest JEAGER332

you honestly think anyother jet can outturn a Harrior?

a good Harrior pilot can set it to hover and pivot turn and keep any target in its sights

Hahaha, this sim? LO-MAC? As much as I agree with you, are you sure you're not talking about SF? Seems like an A-6 would better choice there. Of course, I'd love to see an A-6 just about anywhere.

OK, yeah, the F-14 does have a limited A2G role. But it is definately not my first choice when it comes to performing any type of strike or CAS mission. I mean, its like a scaled down F-111.

I wanna see the Harrier because:

A. VTOL

B. Hasn't been done realistically in a sim before.

C. Not too fancy that you need a manual ala Falcon 4.0 to run.

D. Dogfighting takes on an entirely different aspect than in purely non-vectoring aircraft.

E. A single mission in the Harrier can combine mulitiple sorties, mulitiple refuel and rearmings. Imagine, starting from a carrier, performing another sortie from a forward landing strip, and then ultimately landing on a reinforced highway, and taxing between trees to a hidden turn-around.

F. Much as I have little desire o join the Marine Corps, they deserve a sim at long last.

Just my opinions but,

Lomac is screaming for an F16. Yes, the F16 has probably been flight simmed to death, but I find it odd that UBI would publish countless pictures of a non-flyable aircraft with out seriously considering the game followers constant cries for this as a flyable. With the versatility of this aircraft and the countless NATO aligned countries that use it, I would expect to see it in the upgrade.

Besides that, I think that the next aircraft we may see is the addition of the F14. Many people have stated that there are no 2 seaters in this game and that this is something that Ubi-soft may definately be working to correct in a future add-on. The F14 fills that role graciously.

Keep in mind that there are many screaming for the Tornado as well as the Harrier and Rafael. Of these three, I think the Tornado would win in an add-on for its simplier producability.

I'm gonna be happy flying just about anything this sim creates.

<C>

P.S. Make The F4 Phantom Flyable as well....

P.S.   Make The F4 Phantom Flyable as well....

They shoulda done that from the get go. I'm kinda supprised that they didn't, being the F-4 still flies with some European countries to this day, and it's just a cool plane that should be there in the game to fly

What ever plane(s) they do add, or hopefully add, I just hope they dont do the Forgotten Battles thing. I'd rather see an X-pack than a whole new game.

I did vote for the Tornado, i'd rather see the IDS up there though.

cheers,

Jay

Jeager do some research buddy, "Hover" is not a tactic used by the Harrier. LOL The AV8B only has enough water onboard to cool the engine for 90 seconds while in a hover. You are very vulnerable in a hover just as Helos are. Jet engines use ram/bleed air through ducts between the outter casing and engine turbine for cooling air, when the Harrier is in a Hover the amount of ram/bleed air is reduced while engine temps are very high due to the amount of thrust being produced and with no forward movement the engine runs very hot. You may ask "well other jets dont use water to cool when they are stationary" well because they are at idle on the ground. Your talking about a jet engine running at 90% in a stationary position. The British have used thrust vectoring in Harriers during air combat, check out info on the fackland war. The thing about the Harrier is they have to get in close to be effective in a fight. They dont have the speed or avionics to fight a BVR fight.

a good Harrior pilot can set it to hover and pivot turn and keep any target in its sights

Damn Seawolf, you beat me to it...LOL

And no matter the enemy the Cat wins the BVR engagement amy day of the week and twice on sunday

Guest Ranger332

DONT THINK SHES TALKING BUT USING IT ALL THE TIME THINK PPL LOL BUT IN AND EMERGENCY YES YOU COULD KEEP YOU ENEMY IN YOUR SIGHTS AND HELOS ART ALL THAT DEFENCELESS MENY NOW CARRY STINGERS AND A FEW HAVE SHOT DOWN "FAST MOVERS"

THE FALKLENS WAR BRIT HELOS GOT A JET AS THEY TOOK OFF

The Apache has been equipped with air-to-air missiles (Stinger, AIM-9 Sidewinder, Mistral and Sidearm) and 2.75in rockets. Thales Air Defence (formerly Shorts Missile Systemshttp://www.army-technology.com/projects/apache/

Harrier arms

ARMAMENT:

Two underfuselage packs, mounting on port side a five-barrel 25 mm cannon based on General Electric GAU-12/U, and 300-round container on starboard side, in AV-8B; or (RAF) two 25 mm Royal Ordnance Factories cannon with 100 rds/gun (derived from 30 mm Aden); delivery of Aden 25 still awaited, early 1994. Single 454 kg (1000 lb) stores mount on fuselage centreline, between gun packs. Three stores stations under each wing on AV-8B, stressed for loads of up to 907 kg (2000 lb) inboard, 454 kg (1000 lb) on intermediate stations, and 286 kg (630 lb) outboard. Four inner wing stations are wet, permitting carriage of auxiliary fuel tanks; reduced manoeuvring limits apply when tanks mounted on intermediate stations. RAF aircraft and new production Harrier II Plus have additional underwing station, for Sidewinder air-to-air missile, ahead of each outrigger wheel fairing. Typical weapons include two or four AIM-9L Sidewinder, Magic or AGM-65E Maverick missiles, or up to six Sidewinders; up to sixteen 540 lb free-fall or retarded general purpose bombs, 12 BL 755 or similar cluster bombs, 1000 lb free-fall or retarded bombs, 10 Paveway laser-guided bombs, eight fire bombs, 10 Matra 155 rocket pods (each with eighteen 68 mm SNEB rockets), or (in addition to underfuselage gun packs) two underwing gun pods.so as you see they do mount "winders" on this craft mostly for defence but it can kill and the guns are no joke eather.

Id reather have a skyraider but thats me

my choice here was Tornado GR1

Guest Ranger332

ANYONE REMBER THIS??????????

Washington Man Sues Pepsi for Harrier Jet

A disappointed TV viewer sued Pepsico for failure to provide the Harrier jet he thought he had won in the soft drink company's "Pepsi Stuff" ad campaign. The TV commercials in the campaign featured various apparel and leisure items that could be obtained in exchange for Pepsi Points. Pepsi Points were obtained through purchasing Pepsi products, or, if you read the fine print, could be purchased for ten cents each. The close of one commercial showed a teenager arriving at school in a Harrier Jet with a Pepsi logo on it and offered the jet for 7,000,000 Pepsi Points. Leonard accumulated 15 actual Pepsi Points and submitted them with a check for $700,008.50 to purchase the balance of Pepsi Points he needed for the Harrier Jet (and $10.00 for shipping and handling as per the contest rules). But, he received no Harrier Jet. He resubmitted his Pepsi Stuff order twice more. Still no jet. Leonard now has turned to the courts to redress the damages he will continue to suffer until his jet is delivered. His suits alleges specific performance, breach of contract, fraud, deceptive and unfair trade practices, and, finally, misleading advertising against the Purchase, N.Y. soft drink company. Pepsi reportedly filed a suit in New York to block Leonard's suit on the grounds that it is frivolous.

6. Pepsi Points can be acquired in two ways. One method is

to purchase specifically marked packages of PEPSI

products from vendors throughout the country who sell

PEPSI products. The second method is to purchase points

directly from PEPSI, via an order form, for 10 cents per

point. There is no limit to the amount of points one is

allowed to purchase.

harrier6.jpg

harrier7.jpg

harrier1.jpg

harrierbox.jpg

Actually it was the kid in the commercial who sued pepsi, I read about that in "Air and Space" I was roflol before I even had evwer used roflol :wink:

Guest Ranger332

nope his dad sued that was from the actual docket

Guest Ranger332

got $800,000

send it to me Ill see what I can get you lol :shock:

Dude, I certainly don't have it. I've been working to get one the legal route though... tryin to get into the AF and Naval Academies.