Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

We mourn the loss of an old friend

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: - Knowing when to come in out of the rain; - Why the early bird gets the worm; ... - Life isn't always fair; - And maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies, don't spend more than you can earn and adults, not children, are in charge. His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion. Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility, and his son, Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame and I'm A Victim Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

I got supended for drinking beer after lunch.

Cool story Sarge.

See what I did there.

:salute:

............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:good:

:this: RIP my friend :this:

About the woman and hot coffee. I thought the same way, but some poasters at Market Ticker forum brought some evidence that the coffee was far too hot, boiling hot I think. Basically, think safety first. Sometimes, simple accidents do happen. If it was your grandmom... However, the settlement did seem high, but then, it did bring attention to the issue of customers handling boiling hot water.

What I really hate are the deep fat fryers. First, that deep fry food is bad for you, but we know all that and life goes on. Worse, you occasionally hear about some teenager in these deep fryer fast food places getting burned from accidental large spills and later dying from it. I submit that, a professional viewpoint toward safety and health requires the elimination of deep fat fryers from all restaurants. I love french fries but baked only. Anyways the best FAST foods are locally owned Polish / Italian / Etc... delis with no deep fat fryers, and I know a hella great tiny Taco trailer that uses fresh ingredients at a surf shop -- light "tropical" kinda style not heavy Mexican.

You don't need fat fryers to make high quality fast food made with fresh ingredients. :drinks: What you do need, absolutely require, is local ownership and up front self-motivation on the level of the individual soul to make top end product. ie...avoid the giant deep fat chains that dissolve teenagers in T > 212F oil.

----

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies, don't spend more than you can earn...

That one. Yea one of my faves. But a debt based currency, that derives its value as bank credit given and debt owed, requires that traditional "common sense" be rejected by society. Common sense requires a common money, or common currency, free from artificial control by banker-corruptable politicos -- legal tender laws -- but that's another thread.