Polovski

* * PHASE 4 PREVIEW MOVIE 1 ! * *

***edit

to Widowmaker...In my experience, doing something really well always takes longer. But if one rushes, the finished product is always regretted sooner.

Indeed!... Cliffs of Dover is a case in point

Well, "Cliffs of Dover" took LONG and got STILL BAD! Tch! :no:

Going slightly OT, this thread got me thinking about the enormous design process of a flight sim, but then I thought about the trully unimaginable design process of the real war. Every aircraft, and every component which went in to building them had a designer, everything metal needed a pattern maker, an engineer to build it, someone to test it, someone to sell it. From tyres to paint, from lubricants to complete engines, everything was a product of some completely new, or recently diversified industry.

It got me thinking about whether there were any compromises. For example are the wheels you see on a Sopwith Camel the same as you have on an SE5? To what extent where parts interchangeable?

It sounds daft, but were there components used which came straight from other industries, such as pipework, guages and brass fittings, - were these borrowed improvisations from plumbing or gas industries?

People comment on how the Landrover Discovery turned around the fortunes of landrover in 1989, but the original Discovery's took full advantage of a massive stockpile of parts left over after the demise of the british car industry, the chassis and suspension was that of a Landrover obviously, but all the buttons and switches came straight from Austin Rover cars, the interior was basically a Range Rover interior, and the rear lights came from an Austin Maestro van. That's not intended to be a criticism, merely that something 'new' was built from a creative integration of existing components. I find myself wondering whether this happened with WW1 aircraft designs, and to what extent it favoured revisions of existing aircraft designs rather than completely new concepts. Essentially, what aircraft 'suffered' from being left on the drawing board to give us so many versions of an Albatross for example? Or alternatively, was the frame of an Albatross similar to the frame of a landrover in the sense it got the basics completely right and took a long time before it needed to be improved?

Edit - The Discovery wasn't unique. I once had a series 3 Landy, and when a headlight went, you had to buy a complete unit. I went into Halfords to buy one, but they told me they didn't sell and Land Rover parts. I said Ok, and started to walk away. Then I turned to ask "Do you have any headlights for a mini? - "Yes sir, here you go." Gotta love Halfords.

Edited by Flyby PC

This thread needs some new posts, I think. The movie is so great it should be watched regularly by every OFF pilot! :grin:

Maybe the friendly devs could reveal something new regarding P4? Like about the improvements being made to two-seater careers? :cool:

Yes please, I too watch the movie constantly but still want some more...

We haven't seen a single screenshot since the release of the movie!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

would be a good idea of those who watch the movie regularly to also leave some comments on youtube, and maybe also to post a link to the forum and the main site of OFF. if i search around on youtube and find this vid by chance, i would be more interested if i see many good comments and infos where to get it etc. if you know what i mean. :salute:

Yes please post comments and spread the word guys and vote for the vid etc. I'll post a few more pictures later hopefully. We are flat out trying to get things done so little time for keeping regular pics and vids sorry!

Keep at it Polovski..... we can wait two more weeks!!

gaw, do yourself a favour and watch this video - and you'll catch glimpses of the new Campaign Manager,

QuickCombat Manager and so much more. (See post No. 1 for the video).

Indulge a selfish old man,

please, no more info abt OFF2: I'm already tormented by the little I do know !

But seriously: when OFF2 hoves into view I want to be ...well...astounded, as I was when I stumbled (gods be praised) upon BHH.

Can't do that if I know too much.

"make them laugh, make them weep, make them wait".

Cheers

off now to do just that ol............thanks!!