Jug

Attempting bringing the A-37B into SF2 Vietnam

Take 3 on the canopy. I hope it's right this time round.

render22.jpg

very very very good work!

Thx. Tidied it some more. Is there any tutorial or description anywhere for how you do the animations?

gallery_19311_694_15885.jpg

Looks pretty nice so far Centurion, any updates of this great one?

sorry, but:

f*cking hell!

I just noticed that I have most probably lost the updated model seen above because I was careless when doing backups when I bought a new laptop... OMG I feel like bashing my head in the wall. Now I only have that crappy model i started out with... omfg. I had it on backburner waiting for a suitable terrain... I cant believe my stupidity. Backing up only helps when you remember all the files, folks..

Oh well, starting from the lowpoly original means fixing some stuff that was wrong.

NOEZ!!!!! But now that you know how to make it, you can make it even better.

Between this and the F-5A, I might have to buy SF2:NA and reinstall the other games.

I didn't know you mad models for ArmA. Where you affiliated with a group?

What about your great Mig-25PD cockpit and new 3D model project? Is it safe?

Yeah those are alright, only the A-37 dragonfly was affected.. But yeah, now I can make it even better. Mainly regret losing the pylons and other details I had made.

No I never got affiliated with any Arma modding group and never really figured out the O2 modeling suite either. Nice to know that people are looking forward to this! And yeah, the new F-5A looks completely awesome!

It rises like the Phoenix bird from the ashes:

reborn1.jpg

Imma doin' it right this time! Still very early but you get the idea.

Some good late night modeling music:

• Like 1

Oh Yeah!! Centurion-1 that is a really good start! Glad you're adding polys :yeahbaby:

Yep. Moar polies = win.

Update:

reborn2.jpg

reborn3.jpg

Shell modifier is the s**t. Cutting out those canopy supports was like 2 minutes.

• Like 1

Just curious Centurion-1, What would the polycount go to with one more iteration in meshsmooth? Could be worth it?

Regards,

Sophocles

Sophocles: I don't know, it brings the total up to 42k tris, vs. 23k for just one iteration. The only area that really benefits is the intake area. You be the judge

23K tris:

http://postimage.org/image/xte3xn2sv/

42K tris:

http://postimage.org/image/qeos59gxb/

Thanks guys for the support, if it weren't for the support and interest I don't think I would have bothered to restart this!

its better to add polys localy the using over all meshsmooth

overall MeshSmooth

local meshsmooth

local mesh smooth

Centurion,

my interest in this Bird is very big.

I think it fits perfectly into the Vietnam theatre.

And maybe you could also do a T-37C.

Can´t wait to do some nice skins for the dragonfly. :blind:

Sophocles: I don't know, it brings the total up to 42k tris, vs. 23k for just one iteration. The only area that really benefits is the intake area. You be the judge

23K tris:

http://postimage.org/image/xte3xn2sv/

42K tris:

http://postimage.org/image/qeos59gxb/

Thanks guys for the support, if it weren't for the support and interest I don't think I would have bothered to restart this!

Centurion-1,

The polies themselves are not that many with the extra meshsmooth iteration; you just have to be careful that no one mesh in the model is greater that 4-5K polys.

Given that, the A-37 could benefit from the extra smoothing as is evidenced by the improvements in the air-intakes. I am however curious as to why the difference in smoothing is not so pronounced on the other parts of the plane (wings, vertical stabilizer and such). Are you using smoothing groups which may be impeding the smooth process?

You're doing a fasntastic job .. this second rendition is eons better than the original.

Regards

Hi!

Sophocles, I decided to go with the middle road, and used a selective meshsmooth as cocas suggested around the intakes. Some funny geometry there still to be straightened out but I think it does look better now. The wings are very barebones still, just cut out the gear doors otherwise still in one piece. But it's nice to see that you think it's going well, judging by your F-5 you know what you are talking about :assassin:

Soulfreak yeah there are a lot of skins that need to be done for this one, I will get in contact with you ASAP when I have the uvmapping & template done.

I got the pylons and landing gear done (as in modeled & uvmapped) though, which is nice as they are slightly tedious to do:

reborn6.jpg

reborn7.jpg

Gear doors left off on purpose :beta: