Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Dialling the wrong number take a new meaning

why don't they do it at a very high altitude? and try to avoid making too much noise..

unpleasant to the pilot to be making this kind of mistake, but sh*t happens..

I think they are authorised to do this in such an emergency - and Im not totally sure that flying higher solves the problem - Concorde always had this issue.

I know their authorized to do that..

don't know how higher altitude will help the problem, but it wouldn't hurt to find out I guess :blink:

If they where chasing a Helicopter, then going to high attitude would have meant a sharp dive in supersonic speeds.

The identity of the helicopter pilot is still unknown.

"Where he was flying to and what he was doing is none of our business," said Mr Tinworth.

"People are allowed to fly in the UK because we're a free country."

I like this guy.

Okay with the Supersonic side of it, the pressure from sonic booms caused by aircraft often are a few pounds per square foot. A vehicle flying at greater altitude will generate lower pressures on the ground, because the shock wave reduces in intensity as it spreads out away from the vehicle, but the sonic booms are less affected by vehicle speed.

As to the Euro's checking out the chopper easiest way is to intercept at low-level and then slow down when you get near him. Also the RAF have to request Authorisation to go supersonic overland.

Also a Gazelle can carry quiet a bit of stuff that goes bang... so better getting to it quick than taking your time...

When the shuttle would decelerate overhead here the boom was hardly damaging. It would at worst rattle a plate or two. Now at the landing site, where the orbiter finally went subsonic and was at its lowest altitude, it could be rather jarring especially if you were outdoors. However, totally average cars and trucks had no problems with broken/cracked windows or anything like that. I forget exactly what altitude it would be at when it dropped below Mach 1, but I believe it was ~40,000 ft or so. Lower altitudes would certainly enhance the effect, of course, and it's possible that a cumulative effect (if say planes caused booms many times a day over a given area) could cause damage, to say nothing of waking anyone who's sleeping, day or night (forget keeping babies asleep for naps!).

That said, I know in an emergency it should be allowed.