Olham

Anyone flying the AIRCO DH-2 ?

Olham, since I had done that video in a QC I knew there was only the three EA so I was not needing to worry about others popping into the party unexpected. Normally I would have been checking my six a lot had it been a campaign mission.

Hauksbee, outstanding work Sir. Thanks for posting those pics.

BB, I wish I would have had an acceptable IP so that I could have joined you folks in multiplayer when it was still around.

Sid, you can set up a blip switch of sorts by programming a button on your JS to toggle between '2' (20% throttle) and '0' (100% throttle). Not quite the same as cycling the ignition on and off but it still works rather well.

Is anyone flying the AIRCO DH-2 ? Or have you ever tried a campaign in this aircraft?

I tried it out, and will do another campaign with it in OFF II.

I like this video - at 0:48 you can see the pilot moving through all control surfaces. Enjoy!

Nice vid Olham! It's great to see these historical craft in the air for posterity, whether repro or original!

Thanks muchly!

Olham, since I had done that video in a QC I knew there was only the three EA so I was not needing to worry about others popping into the party unexpected. Normally I would have been checking my six a lot had it been a campaign mission.

Hauksbee, outstanding work Sir. Thanks for posting those pics.

BB, I wish I would have had an acceptable IP so that I could have joined you folks in multiplayer when it was still around.

Sid, you can set up a blip switch of sorts by programming a button on your JS to toggle between '2' (20% throttle) and '0' (100% throttle). Not quite the same as cycling the ignition on and off but it still works rather well.

Thanks, Lou,

I'll give it a go :salute: .

...but von Richthofen was flying a D.II, and it was not red at all. It was factory style, with only a white ring band round the nose.

Right you are. I knew there was one more thing I was overlooking. You have to remember that I was very young and inexperienced when I made those planes...'way back before I started hanging out with you lot.

Edited by Hauksbee

Why a blip-switch? In the cockpit of the DH-2 seems to be a real throttle at the left?

Or what is it? It moves fore and back, when I push my throttle slider???

Hauksbee, it wasn't meant as a nasty critic - just putting facts right. Did you build these planes? They are not from a sim?

Edited by Olham

Olham, most of the DH-2s had the Gnome Monosoupaupe engine which had neither carburetor nor throttle. Speed was controlled by turning the ignition on and off quickly, or blipping. Thus, the need of the 'blip' switch on the control column. And, if you are attempting to get as close as possible to the RL experience you need to come up with something similar for the OFF DH-2 rather than using the conventional throttle lever.

Yeah, I know what blipping is, but my question was: what is that throttle-lever-like handle in OFF's DH-2, when the craft had no throttle?

I believe there was a mixture control on the left front. Is that what you are seeing?

The lever on the left side of the DH-2 cockpit in OFF is not quite right Olham, as far as I know. The only DH-2 I ever had the pleasure of seeing had a mixture control knob on the far left side of the dash, (good call Lanzfeld). Turning counterclockwise leaned the mixture, while turning it clockwise would richen it. That control knob, along with the blip switch, was all the pilot had to control engine speed. Good fun in a dog fight.

Blip switches for rotary engines is something I'd love to see in OFF2. The current system we have in P3 is not at all realistic.

Thank you for the info, Lou.

I think you had described somewhere, how a blip-switch could be simulated in OFF?

Unfortunately I forgot where.

@Olham

Here is the CA forum article about simulating the "blip" switch.

http://combatace.com/topic/61340-blip-switch/page__p__462205__hl__blip__fromsearch__1#entry462205

Bletchley does a good job explaining the operation of the Blip Switch action in a rotary engine like the DH-2.

Of course, we all know that CFSIII does not have a keyboard control key or key combination for simulating the blip action. But I think that if one had a joystick with a button mapping utility, one could work out the details on a single joystick button using a "Key Press/Release" macro. A 'Key Press' would tranlate to 'Throttle at 10% (key 1)' amd 'Key Release' would translate to 'Thottle at Full (key 0)'. This approximates the Blip Switch action because the Sound Routines of OFF play an 'engine being blip' audio track at 10% throttle.

I personally think that mapping 'Magneto decrease (Shft+M)' and 'Magneto increase (Crtl+M)' to a single button macro with key press repeating when pressed might work better as an approximate Blip Action.

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

Hauksbee, it wasn't meant as a nasty critic - just putting facts right. Did you build these planes? They are not from a sim?

Olham. I never, even for a moment, thought you were making a nasty crack. I know you better than that. And your critique was right on the money. The planes are not a screenie from another sim. I built them in Animation Master. About the time when P3 was released, I was renewing my love of WWI aircraft. I had built the two above, A Fokker D.VIII, and a Hansa-Brandenburg W-12.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Hauksbee

Ah, yes, now I remember - I have seen the Hansa-Brandenburg back then - great job! :good: