Sign in to follow this  
Olham

One of these Moments for which I love OFF

If you fly OFF without "Labels" and "TAC", you may realise any second, how beautifully the AI can often operate.

We were flying in rainy grey weather, and I strained my eyes and neck so much, to make sure I can lead a flight

and bring the boys back home.

Then I turn round for the hundredst time - and almost freeze!

A Nieuport is coming down on us at full speed, almost close enough to fire at us!

Damn, what a cold shock!

I hit "Pause" and took this outside view screenshot.

The guy was not alone - more of them appeared, and boy - did they beat us up!

Three cheers to RexHannover!

I agree Olham. You have to love OFF for just this kind of white knuckle experience. Nice screenie, BTW.

Nice screenie indeed, Olham. Highly portentous (in two of the three senses of the word).

I do wish one's flight would close up more though. Even the close setting seems too widely-spaced. Bit more formation variation wouldn't hurt, either. Wonder if that's changed in OFF2.

This was formation spacing set to "normal" - I must not have it too tight.

I recommend (and do so) to always press "R" (Return) every 10 seconds.

That keeps them with me - I am never really flying a straight line.

The use of wingmen commands really works great in OFF.

When I want them to attack, I press "A" repeatedly; and if I want my six covered, I press "H" twice after "A".

That makes my direct wingman follow me.

He would actually regard any craft near mine as a threat, and so he would fire at my target too,

if I am close. But I don't mind. I am beyond the crave to make tons of victories.

They will anyway still be enough - if I survive.

I remember on I had in a snowstorm that reminded me a lot of that picture. I started out with 5 Nieuports and got home with one and myself. Albies out of the snow. Never saw them until they shot. I remember circling around in a "clearing" between cloudbanks trying to find everyone. Instead, two found me. I killed one and ran for home with my wing man. The screenies were lost during my last HD crash.

Oh lord, don't say that Dej !

I have enough mid-airs as it is :ohmy: .

Probably preaching to the converted here, but if anybody

is using the tac etc, please give naked OFF a try. More

than rudder pedals, more maybe than TiR, it completely

transforms the sim imho.

I used to think, when I used aids such as labels, that it was

because I have dodgy minces and just couldn't see the wily

hun. But when I really started looking and learnt to see I

found that I could just make them out. If you are embarking

on a naked OFF career for the first time just remember that

keeping a constant lookout is key.

Tbh I do flash lables up now and again, not to spot enemies

but to find out where the hell everyone went :yes:.

Caveat: I am not suggesting that OFF be flown in he nude,

that is a prospect too horrible to contemplate :yikes:.

Great screenshot. I almost cant see the enemy myself! Tense. I love it.

, that it was because I have dodgy minces...

"Dodgey", I get; but what are "minces"?

"Dodgey", I get; but what are "minces"?

Minces = mince pies = eyes

Cock-er-nee rhyming slang.

I understand Cockney rhyming slang, but I hesitate to speak it again in these halls. Last time I gave it a go I was accused of watching "Mary Poppins" too many times as a youth. Too true of course, but still ... made me go all red in the bloomin' boat, it did.

I LOVE Cockney rhyming slang - although you must do it Biblically. As the apostle Paul states, when speaking in another tongue among the brethren, interpretation must be provided!

I'm going to graduate to this sooner or later. But, here or on another forum, someone mentioned a setting that governs the distance at which you can see the enemy. I've often thought that I could see them IRL quite a bit further out than they appear, and have thought that maybe my graphics aren't set up that well. But I've been really busy lately and it's all i can do to get stick time, much less tinker around under the hood.

Best,

Tom

I LOVE Cockney rhyming slang - although you must do it Biblically. As the apostle Paul states, when speaking in another tongue among the brethren, interpretation must be provided!

I'm going to graduate to this sooner or later. But, here or on another forum, someone mentioned a setting that governs the distance at which you can see the enemy. I've often thought that I could see them IRL quite a bit further out than they appear, and have thought that maybe my graphics aren't set up that well. But I've been really busy lately and it's all i can do to get stick time, much less tinker around under the hood.

Best,

Tom

Even at high resolutions the pixel count can't match real life. Consequently, unless the objects are quite large, a computer screen doesn't trigger the few thin layers of brain cells that are organized around the tasks of detecting movement or differences in object/ground relationships. Requires a lot of training to condition yourself to detect EA without a TAC.

BirdDog, against the sky you can see them over a distance of ca. 2 miles - if you are not distracted by looking at the TAC. :grin:

(Against the ground, that is a completely different story).

Since I am flying that way, I usually see them, before they see me. But I admit, that flying on the German side, my own

Flak puffs are damn good guides or warnings - for the Entente pilots crossing the lines, it was much harder.

But the real aces also missed tons of aircraft, I'm sure.

Arthur Gould Lee even described an attack, which his leader began.

All others followed; he saw the tracers of his lead; then they pulled up and out again - and he had not seen any E/A!

Only back at base he heard, they had been Pfalz scouts.

Seems that's how it was.

Sorry, guys,

yeah, "dodgy minces"= lousy eyesight.

My old dad was a cockney, and I lived,

for a time (18 years), in the leafy

boroughs of Leyton and Ilford, in the

olden days. Sometimes I do lapse.

Mary Poppins...ye gods :lol:

BTW you can also use the zoom keys [ ] in a notch or two to simulate looking hard at an area of sky.

Just a silly bloody 'Yank' here, but is "wheels up", the same as "tits up"?

Capturetttt.PNG

Edited by Hauksbee

@ Hauksbee:

Well, in the modern airline industry, Air Traffic Control will gibve a pilot a "wheels up" time when they delay the aircraft at it's origin. So I just back-imagined it to a WWI briefing room, with the Captain ordering a patrol out with a "wheels up" time at , say 8:00AM, or perhaps ending with, "All,right men, wheels up in half an hour!" as they head out the door.

And of course me, being the Barmy (and grossly incompetent) airman that I am, end up with "wheels up" in a slightly different sense.

Best,

Tom