Hello, all! yes, I agree, this place is more "comfortable." I missed my avatar and the BOC, our images in the signature, and all that "eye candy." They had some pretty nice smilies, though. Hmmm, I already have plenty of fora to watch, but I guess I'll have to keep up with both of these for a while... But gee, how can I keep up a hefty bar tab at both sites?! I'll be three sheets to the wind all day, every day! :yikes:

Cheers, men! :drinks:

Tom

Hello, all! yes, I agree, this place is more "comfortable." I missed my avatar and the BOC, our images in the signature, and all that "eye candy." They had some pretty nice smilies, though. Hmmm, I already have plenty of fora to watch, but I guess I'll have to keep up with both of these for a while... But gee, how can I keep up a hefty bar tab at both sites?! I'll be three sheets to the wind all day, every day! :yikes:

Cheers, men! :drinks:

Tom

I have to echo Tom's sentiments here. I've gotten quite used to posting here for OFF - and yeah, without the avatars and sigpics, it felt a bit strange to see... Olham without his trademark pilot photo or Widow without his... Widowness :lol:

But, I have to say... it's really quite funny how we get "used" to things that feel like "home." It's a website. It's a server housing a bunch of code that spools up hyperlink requests when we click on it from our four corners of the world. And so is SimHQ - it's just a different flavor of HTML and yet... we grow attached, we feel an emotional connection with it, and a sense of loss when it stops working.

Human beings are funny, fickle creatures, aren't we?

As far as doing split duty - I used to visit four or five forums as week back in the late 90s. There was Delphi for Red Baron 3D discussion... but that only covered SWWISA and the Western Front Patch. Then there was OvS' Hell's Angels forum on his site (which was taken down multiple times by Turkish hackers of all things... damn kids). Then I visited SimHQ for all things European Air War. And, lastly, was Frugal's long-defunct board for everything related to my sad attempts to learn Falcon 4.0.

Talk about a lot of leg work! :heat:

Ultimately, however, it's the people. While I love the EAW community and guys like Col. Gibbon and Moggy and Mr. Jelly, I bonded with the RB3D people so much more. Don't know why - like I said, we're fickle. But I'd like to think I clicked with people like Pol and Otto and guys like Shredward and Capt. Royce. And that group was built on with people here that I consider genuine friends - guys like Olham and Widow and Creaghorn. Believe me when I say that when I get some funding to do research in Germany, I'll be looking some of you up (if I'm in the right part of Germany, of course).

Anyway... just some ramblings from yours truly.

. As fine as simhq is, i prefer this interface and layout.

Amen!

Ah... back to being me... Avatars, graphics in my sig and no poncey 'zh' endings! :grin:

You guys are more than welcome to stay. I enjoy having you all here. I totally understand Pol's position on this. I fully support what the OFF team does and wish them continues success. If you guys move over to SimHQ too I understand and zero hard feelings at all.

That won't happen, Dave.

Most of us will just jump from forum to forum, but will never left CA.

It feels home. And that's always hard to leave. :good:

Ditto to the words of my Portugese friend! :drinks:

And besides, you guys have all the good booze!!!!!!

:drinks:

Oh yes, indeed. Von Paulus could serve you some very excellent port, I guess.

Let me invite you to a virtual Andechser Klosterbräu - a very tasty Bavarian beer.

I don't much visit the other parts of CombatAce 'cept the FE downloads, so I don't know how things go elsewhere but I have to say that the administration of the OFF fora here was top notch... no personality clashes or ego stroking, even when some of us got a bit heated... but we are a well-behaved bunch, of course.. There was the UncleAl incident granted. but he's now welcomed back so... whilst I'll visit the other place I'm here by preference.

I don't much visit the other parts of CombatAce 'cept the FE downloads, so I don't know how things go elsewhere but I have to say that the administration of the OFF fora here was top notch... no personality clashes or ego stroking, even when some of us got a bit heated... but we are a well-behaved bunch, of course.. There was the UncleAl incident granted. but he's now welcomed back so... whilst I'll visit the other place I'm here by preference.

Well said, Dej! I second your sentiments regarding the spirit of the OFF community. It's a good bunch and we all seem to play well together. And really, at the end of the day, it's the community that keeps a game going, isn't it? I'm convinced that, had Red Baron II/3D not had guys like OvS, Beery, Pat Wilson, Shred, Flybert, RebRens, Kess... gads, the list goes on and on... it would have been a mediocre flight sim with a great dynamic engine that would have collected a lot of dust after a while. But, my goodness me, would you look at it? Even over on the now ancient Delphi boards, where I found my first flight sim community, there is still the occasional post and we're what, about fourteen years out from Red Baron's release? I'd like to find a Call of Duty or a Battlefield game that has had that kind of longevity.

OFF has the same thing going for it - largely because so many of the ingredients come from the lineage of Red Baron 3D. And the community that has formed around it, both in the OBD team and here on the boards, I have to believe, keeps the development of OFF going strong. If I was Pol or Winder and I was up coding late, I'd like to think the occasional "keep going! You're doing great work!" posts from the community has to give them a small shot in the arm.

Like I said, a community makes the game. I've seen other boards for other games - both airborne and not - where the community soured, support for a game started to dry up, the waters were quickly poisoned, and it all kind of just, well, fell apart. But when a community gets it right - like the Red Baron 3D, European Air War, and Over Flanders Fields boys, it makes all the difference in the world. Why else would all of us, with our incredibly busy lives, take the time out to post.

It matters. I'm happy to be with this group and I'm proud of OBD for making such a wonderful simulation for the rest of us mere mortals to enjoy. :drinks:

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Wing HQ may have moved down the road, but this is still the Mess, and where I will be spending most of my time when not flying Over Flanders Fields

(actually, when I'm not writing bloody datafiles for WOFF)

Cheers,

shredward

... this is still the Mess, and where I will be spending most of my time when not flying Over Flanders Fields

(actually, when I'm not writing bloody datafiles for WOFF)

Cheers,

shredward

Now that is great to know, Shredder! Come over to the mess, let me buy you a drink.

We have Port, Ale or Brandy - make a choice. I'll have both. :grin:

I had to take up masturbation again, to get me through the dark, lonely hours!

At least it's sex with someone you really care about.