if you're playing MP,

you can force the game to start up without mods in the Options.ini

so you can force the game to disable mods when you launch the MP exe.

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=FALSE

Edited by SkateZilla

same engine, different title IMO, with no mods for common server and selected ones for others, see no issues there. File check at server level, sealed key-check mods to use BIS style. Works in Arma series

Like I said before, forget putting MP into the SF2 titles we have now.

The only way I could see it work is if TK put it in ROF-style with a "mods on/off" checkbox. However, in ROF there's a launcher. SF2 doesn't have that, and if you have mods it loads them all on startup before you get to the options screen.

So at this point, with all the SF2 titles, TK has a hangar FULL of flyables from the 60s and 70s with a trickle of earlier and later planes. Sell one "SF2 Online" sim for $50 with say 2/3 of those planes but no modding ability (should be easy for him to code it NOT to look for files in those folders), then put the rest out as DLC (the less popular ones maybe, or perhaps extra variants).

Think about it, though. People would pay $50 to get to fly MP with F14, F15, and F16, plus older planes like the F-4 and A-4.

You know, I think I'll just post this over there so TK can see it and maybe give him a firmer idea of what I mean.

or disable the mods from being loaded and lock the Options.INI away in a CAT.

somehow I think TK doesn't understand fully the amount his "niche" has grown these days... It's time to say to TK "hey Mister, we're no longer in 2002, things HAVE changed!"

Ok name me three simulators, 3rd party ventures aside that have modeled together: Hunter, Skyhawk, Canberra, Phantom set against Fresco, Fagot, Beagle, Badger

You say..? Didn't heard you, speak louder

The problem is of course to explain to the new generation, that Fagot is not a swear word and a Phantom has the stealth capacity of a rhino in a bathtub. Now, mowing down people with AC-130 is less niche and matches the current TK-fun idea.

hmm, the developers of those modules can easily kill the joy by going over the top realism way, I aint holding my breath yet

Or never finish it.

One thing that worries me about DCS stuff is that complexity can be utterly de-motivational, even for payware stuff. The more complex all that is you need to have a bigger team work much longer and harder etc.

Freeware stuff will probably deliver little to none what-so-ever (if that possibility is even planned for DCS) payware stuff will be a long development with possible drop-outs...and afterall it's payware...for every single plane...a bit too much if you ask me.

TW games allow a single enthusiast shelling out a quality mod in very reasonable time and without too much difficulties, team up with a buddy or two and it's even easier, judging by what I've heard about DCS stuff, there's no way in the world you can do that...

However, TW again unnecessarily complicates some stuff with tedious methods, lack of support(for modders) and overall a simplicity that is somewhat and in some cases quite limiting...

I admit that when I am up for serious flying, turning all the knobs and such, I start up my DCS Modules. That is actually a rare occurrence, if you compare to how often I just turn on TSF or SF2: NA to fly a short mission or four.

There is a time and place for checklists and pressing six buttons to arm the guns.

While I too follow DCS World with interest, I doubt it will rival SF2 in my book in regards to flying hours.

Or never finish it.

One thing that worries me about DCS stuff is that complexity can be utterly de-motivational, even for payware stuff. The more complex all that is you need to have a bigger team work much longer and harder etc.

Freeware stuff will probably deliver little to none what-so-ever (if that possibility is even planned for DCS) payware stuff will be a long development with possible drop-outs...and afterall it's payware...for every single plane...a bit too much if you ask me.

This is one of those things that really can go one way or the other. One can look at the MSFS aircraft library (both freeware and payware) to see the full range, with complexity and fidelity closely approaching actual aircraft. The SSW (now defunct) Airbus A310 aircraft for MSFS 2002/2004 was so accurate in terms of avionics and aircraft systems that I purchased it to help me practice my procedures on the real aircraft. Yet, MSFS has a very large freeware aircraft library available too.

DCS has great potential...the developer has been around a while and has already put out good product. Other parties have committed to producing for DCS. The DCS series already has a large (relatively speaking) following. They have an engine that does air combat simulation.

To me, DCS has been the only thing out there with the potential to have several of the advantages of the TW series of sims, but with the additional fidelity and multiplayer aspects that folks have been wanting. Nothing else out there is close in my opinion...everything else is tech demos, videos, or too small, too slow development, too many promises with very little to show for it.

The toughest part will be getting enough numbers to hit that 'critical mass', where enough people play that developers or modders will want to jump in more, which then attracts more people, etc. etc.

FC

Ok name me three simulators, 3rd party ventures aside that have modeled together: Hunter, Skyhawk, Canberra, Phantom set against Fresco, Fagot, Beagle, Badger

You say..? Didn't heard you, speak louder

Well, I think that's why TKs sims succeed...because he does those subjects no one else does. But it also means you'll never be huge because there aren't that many followers of the older stuff (who even knows what a British Lightning is...).

TK certainly isn't infallible. But, in deference, he has been in the air combat flight simulation industry...watched it grow in its heyday with things like EAW, Longbow, etc. And then have an insiders view as the industry collapsed almost overnight.

We all can certainly give advice as to what works and what doesn't in the industry. But how many of us make a living at it?

FC

All of the Major DCS 3rd Party Module Creating Studios had to Agree to a Contract for developing the Module.

which is..?

which is..?

The number of rivets must exceed 80% of the real aircraft :good:

• Like 1

But it also means you'll never be huge because there aren't that many followers of the older stuff (who even knows what a British Lightning is...).

Pah - call yourself an aviation enthusiast :lol:

yeah, surely, all those who invest in DCS titles have no idea of 60s planes :lol:

really?