Sign in to follow this  
Lt. James Cater

Looking For Inexpensive Reliable Laptop

I'm just beginning my search so i figured i'd ask here too.

I'm at Grand Canyon North Rim for the next few months and then it's off to either Zion or Big Bend National park until next June. One thing about being in these places is communications is rather sketchy (My cell phone doesn't even work here)and sometimes the boredom can be staggering, hence the heavy drinking that is rather common amongst employees. Anyways, we have WIFI here and considering the crap state of the community computers here i figured i better do like many others and get a laptop to keep up with things and while away the times without drowning in a tidal wave of beer.

Might as well do a lot of poker as well as doing some kind of blog.

Any suggestions to something cheap and reliable? I've owned a number of computers but this will be my first ever laptop so i'm sorta flying blind on this.

I'm partial to HP/Compaq my self and if your not looking top end they are fairly inexpensive esp. Presario. but they still allow you to work the game fairly well(with exception of NA possibly, got my new one just before it came out) how fancy do you want it is the big first question? and are you looking to buy in a store or online?

wife's acer was good til kids spilled Coke on it.... SquareTrade did fix it on warranty but my knuckleheaded self for got to make a recovery disk. whole OS gone with the hard drive. getting a recovery disc from Acer but still kinda sore about it.

Must admit I love Dell have them at work and as the IT Manager they make my life easier... depends what you want to do with it as well... and my laptop at home is an older model Dell...

Basically it's for general websurfing activities. But maybe sometime soon i should hope to get back flying again in WOV Gold and WOE as well as doing Rome:Total War. My current gaming rig is a 6 year old E-machines T-3120 that has served well but obviously it can't handle some of the newer stuff around.

My main thing is doing a lot of online poker as i intend to enter two events at next years World Series Of Poker and i need to be in top form for those.

I will reccomend a Toshiba laptop over anything else. I have owned Toshiba, Dell, and HP laptops and I have found Toshiba to always be the most efficient and reliable notebook computers. My current Laptop is a Toshiba A665-S6067, it works great and is very fast but it's 2 years old now and there are far better models now available. Anyway make your choice based on your own preferences, and go play with several brands before buying.

Hope this helped

Edited by warthog64

wife's acer was good til kids spilled Coke on it.... SquareTrade did fix it on warranty but my knuckleheaded self for got to make a recovery disk. whole OS gone with the hard drive. getting a recovery disc from Acer but still kinda sore about it.

Funny, I had this exact same sequence of events happen to me three years ago.

Why did his kids spill Coke on your laptop? :dntknw: