Dave

Why You Should Check Out Flaming Cliffs 2 (and the entire DCS series for that matter)

exactly my thought! Right now they aren't even projected per definition, just float there Jane's USNF style

ironically I loved Janes USNF/MF/ATF/NAto/ATF Gold/Nato Gold/USNF'97/Fighters Anthology

• Like 1

same here but we're not in 1997 anymore

Falcon3.0 was a pain in the but to get running, lol, i dont know how many hours i put into sequencing the bootdisk and drivers to get enough memory for everything.

Yea, and then you had to tweak even more if you wanted the hidef models when the Hornet add-on came out....

FC

Hehe

But after the other related (sort of) topic, I'm putting my money into FSX this time. SF2 is always good since I can customize more but DCS... just not on my radar or preference.

I have a question about DCS of late:

I know that with FC2, I couldn't create a multiplayer mission with both players in the same flight. In order to make a co-op mission multiplayer, I had to make a separate flight of the same aircraft, plug in separate waypoints, et al, which also meant that not only was it a serious pain to convert SP missions to co-op, but in order for it to work you really needed the exact amount of players (since the AI being in a different flight wouldn't follow your lead or orders).

Has this been fixed with newer versions of the mission editor?

AFAIK, no. DCS carries over the same MP style as LOMAC from what I've seen.

There are two types of MP missions sims use. One you have planes that are flyable by players, and every plane not taken is instead flown by AI. Il-2, SFP1, Falcon, and many others did that. The other merely defines the max number and types of planes to be used, but if only 2 people fly there are only 2 planes but if 10 fly there are 10 planes. AI planes are defined separately. The latter is LOMAC/DCS. My problem with that type is the missions won't scale well. If it's just right for 2-3 players, 6 can win in too fast. If it's good for 6 people, 2 could be overwhelmed in minutes.

I think ROF does both. Coop missions are the first way, and dogfight are the LOMAC way.

That was a big hang up with me for the FC2 mission editor. How freakin' hard is it to have multiplayer aircrat assigned to the same flight? ADF and TAW were doing that back in the mid '90s; the only thing I had to do to make a single player ADF mission multiplayer compatible was to add a player number to an aircraft ID, which was a simple text edit.

Also one of the reasons I love Falcon for multiplayer; you can just hop into a campaign or TE without any drama, and without unbalancing everything.