Dave

Why You Should Check Out Flaming Cliffs 2 (and the entire DCS series for that matter)

yeah... right now everyone is OMG!DCS MODS YA ALL! we will see

what is still my biggest concern is lack of other suitable theaters and campaigns, surely Nevada looks good but to play what? Red Dawn 2012? :smile:

Some Korea or say Taiwan action on the other hand...

I agree with the theaters problem, but I will prefer to have a multi role fighter first.

Are any of the mods going to be freeware?

funna as I now realised in SF2 I fly multirole the least... want some bombings? Fly A-4 or Thuds, want to shoot Migs down? Put myself into P-51 ( :smile: ) or any jet fighter

Are any of the mods going to be freeware?

Depends on your definition of "mods". If you mean "flyable a/c", then I would guess NO. I think because ED gives some help to all these modules they charge the modder somehow, making "free" into "the modder pays ED to let others have a free plane" and that won't fly!

If you mean things like zzzspace's sound replacement (which is out already), or perhaps 3D model replacements for some of the AI-only planes or ground units, sure. Lots of that was already made for FC/FC2 and can be brought over with ease.

So things like Stary has done, things like sky, terrain, and effects, along with sprucing up any of the other visuals in-game, I'm sure could still be free. New units I believe will have to be pay. I just hope that the whole "everyone sees every plane released and can fly with or against them as AI, but you have to buy to fly" sticks. I don't want to have to buy a P-51 to see it flying against a convoy or anything.

OK this is my list of reasons why not right now(but maybe later):

1. I can't run it half-decently, even if I could it would be at a level of detail where stock SF2 would look epic.

1a. I had LOMAC on CD(yes that's CD) as soon as it was available in my country(I got to play it few years later because of #1.)

2. In reflection to 1a, it's still the same 6-plane over same freakin terrain, no actually it's 1 plane as I hear and....

3. 50$ for a decent add-on??! No way, atleast not now...

So in reflection as I previously stated, sure I'm glad it's here, I'll be happy if it goes on for a long time but I don't see myself joining that bandwagon anytime soon.

9. Also the DCS P-51D...yep it doesn't fit anywhere in the time frame of the DCS series, however its is freakin beautiful. It is so much fun to fly or even go after Mi-24's in. Or go train busting....not sure why it was made by ED etc but I got it and its worth it.

Something along the lines of Eagle Dynamics is owned by "The Fighter Collection" which owns a P-51, and wanted to develop an in house simulator for their P-51 to demonstrate the DCS Engine’s capabilities to military clients.

And Figured Why not sell it to consumers.

More random planes will prolly be added depending on which countries purchase the DCS platform license from Eagle Dynamics.

BTW, Forgot to mention Multi-Player

I know DCS makes excellent an sim, but I like the 50ies' and 60ies' jets so I fly SF. Aircraft from the 80ies, 90ies or worse are not my cup of tea. If DCS ever featured a Starfighter...

Image from FighterCombatSimulations:http://www.facebook....ghterCombatSims

post-182-0-94383100-1346083573_thumb.jpg

Eagle Dynamics has purchased F-18C.com, and so far its one of the planes that at least 4 of the "Signed" studios wanted to do but havent.

Even the Virtual Blue Angels said they are restricted from putting their module out.

Eagle Dynamics is also showing off extremely detailed F-16 Renders... so...

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

We already have a DCS sub-forum so I'm not too sure why this post has been placed here.

I'm open-minded about DCS and at some time I will give it a go but for the moment the planeset is of almost no interest to me.

First of all, because I can. So its not for you to even question that. Second, I was making a suggestion for anyone in the SF world who might of been wanting something different to do. So the logical place to post this would be.....hmm I don't know.....THE SF FORUM......... Finally I am not saying anyone sim is better than the other. I am saying this again, I posted this in case some people have not considered it. That is my point. The only ones who would turn this into a my sim is better than your sim is...the reading impaired. Sheesh.

I was thinking more along the lines that Dave gets 10 cents from ED for everyone he brings over!! :biggrin:

Shoot, if they were paying ME that much, maybe I'd switch too!!! (can sure use the money!!! )

I was under the impression that dave's the boss and he can post in whatever forum he wanted, lol.

anyone getting into Dave's way... sheesh :wink:

I see no problem with this beeing posted here, specially as Dave started with the features 99% of the core SF/SF2 community here cry for since almost day one:

"While SF2 has the advantage of the ease of modding and the vast number of planes, the FC2/DCS series currently has things what we always wanted in SF2 and more.

1. Drag chutes

2. A2A refueling

3. Great terrain

4. Ejection sequence"

sorry quotations doesn't work for me tight now

Depends on your definition of "mods". If you mean "flyable a/c", then I would guess NO. I think because ED gives some help to all these modules they charge the modder somehow, making "free" into "the modder pays ED to let others have a free plane" and that won't fly!

If you mean things like zzzspace's sound replacement (which is out already), or perhaps 3D model replacements for some of the AI-only planes or ground units, sure. Lots of that was already made for FC/FC2 and can be brought over with ease.

So things like Stary has done, things like sky, terrain, and effects, along with sprucing up any of the other visuals in-game, I'm sure could still be free. New units I believe will have to be pay. I just hope that the whole "everyone sees every plane released and can fly with or against them as AI, but you have to buy to fly" sticks. I don't want to have to buy a P-51 to see it flying against a convoy or anything.

Only ED Approved Modules will be official, everything else will be small mods, in order to get EDs Approval you have to provide Proof of Concept for the Module, and from there they will help with some stuff, but the development of the 3d model, textures, pits, systems, and Flight Model is on the studios shoulders. ED will help you, A Lil.

You dont have to pay $50 for a plane your not gonna fly, I dont fly the KA-50 or the P-51D, but they show up nicely in MP Sessions with people that do.

(maybe thats one of the disconnect issues in DCSW, someone doesnt have all the modules downloaded?)

And that is all I was saying. I too would like to have an older plane set in the DCS series. One thing DCS will never do is have the plane set we all did here. The terrain in DCS is done to death. I do like Nevada for the Red Flag and training scenarios you can make with it and it will be different. Something other than that damn Black Sea area...... I'm not getting any money for telling people about the series. I figured since we all like flight sims this would be a good thing to bring up. No matter where I posted it.

You can develop SF2 Level Modules pretty easily,

You’d need to adjust the 3d Model's Textures and adjust teh Cockpit,

Export them both to EDM,

Learn the .LAU Configuration File Structure. (Similar to Learning the DATA INI structure for SF2, which I did on my own when the WM Version of SFP1 came out.)

Create the LAU Files for External Model, and Flight Model,

Create the LAU Files for the Cockpit and Systems (Electric, Fuel, Engines, Radar, etc etc).

The benefit is that the Eagle Dynamics Plugins for 3ds max have a Model Viewer, that renders the model in a window using the DCSW GFX Engine, so its easy to make changes without having to save, export, close to see how it will look in the game.

You can develop SF2 Level Modules pretty easily,

You’d need to adjust the 3d Model's Textures and adjust teh Cockpit,

Export them both to EDM,

Learn the .LAU Configuration File Structure. (Similar to Learning the DATA INI structure for SF2, which I did on my own when the WM Version of SFP1 came out.)

Create the LAU Files for External Model, and Flight Model,

Create the LAU Files for the Cockpit and Systems (Electric, Fuel, Engines, Radar, etc etc).

The benefit is that the Eagle Dynamics Plugins for 3ds max have a Model Viewer, that renders the model in a window using the DCSW GFX Engine, so its easy to make changes without having to save, export, close to see how it will look in the game.

well , im learning visual studio 2010 just to see inside the avionics.dll of SF2!

i've figured the whole thing out, Dave's been replaced with evil Dave....

on second thought good Dave still likes his firepower...........

Dave, wondering if is already possible in DCS to create a FREE Mod plane that is at least at SF2 level. Thats it.

- no AFM

- no Falcon4/A10C level avionics

With some enhancements like A-G radar, drag chutes and AA refuelling.

BTW have anyone noticed we can have proper FM/avioncs choppers in DCS?

• Like 1

First of all, because I can. So its not for you to even question that. Second, I was making a suggestion for anyone in the SF world who might of been wanting something different to do.

Oh, so it was a public service announcement. Thank you very much.

Oh, so it was a public service announcement. Thank you very much.

you know, one never should anger Dave :smile:

the govt. wouldn't put out a message like that for public consumption due to fear of panic in the streets. Besides CNN would break the story before the EBS!

Modules Currently In Beta:

P-51D

MIG-21bis

Modules in Development

Beczl:

MIG-21bis, MIG-23MF (possible SU-22)

Iris Simulations:

F-14D, F22A, T-38, F-15E (Originally stated F-14 would be done first, but i think his MicroJet test bed will be done first)

CoreTex Designs:

F-18E

VEAO:

Bae hawk and EuroFighter

RAZBAM:

AV-8B, with plans for A-6, A7, A-4, F-4 variants and a bunch of others over a time period. (Had a list somewhere)

Skunkworks

F-104G

PeyVolt:

Mirage F-1, (Possible F-18C Spanish Airforce?)

VTAI (Doesn’t Have Contract w/ DCS)

F-16C (doubt it will be DCS Quality, the shape of the model isn’t even correct, also See Eagle Dynamics)

Eagle Dynamics:

DCS Neveda, Once done and released, 3rd Parties will be allowed to generate terrains.

Possible Modules from Eagle Dynamics in development

DCS F-18C (Been Rumored for a while, plus with Eagle Dynamics Assets acquisitions)

DCS F-16x (Eagle Dynamics just built an extremely detailed F-16 Model and was showing off renders, for use in a future module?).

Any idea which of those other than ED's will get the "DCS" branding? I know MiG-21 is supposed to and F-22 is NOT, but beyond that I'm not certain.