Sign in to follow this  
Spiff

KAW Corsairs-PROP Question

did I cover his unit in my skin set?? :biggrin:

no idea is bad. keep throwing them out. the major problem is, after Bpao passed, we lost a LOT of the max files. and an equal number

were uncompleted (like the Spit mk.1, the spit mk 9, the su-24 Fubar's been showing)

if we had those, we'd be Golden. I'm sure I could find a 'volenteer' to fix the things! We've had them since 2004

I wish I knew what unit he was with.  (Unfortunately he passed away a week ago.)  He never really seemed very interested in talking about his time flying in the navy, until recently.  I was hoping to get to talk to him about it more, but I didn't get the chance.  I know he flew TMB's, Corsairs, and Skyraiders in Korea.  I asked him what his squadron was a while ago and I thought he said VS-1, but I was never able to find any info on it.  He then went on to fly helicopters in Vietnam.

If I want to try to make the "prop-seat", do just make a transparent disk in GMAX?  (never done any sort of modeling for flight sims before.  just used Solidworks for work).

Does that actually give you a more transparent prop at high RPMs or does it just hide/remove the prop completely (at high RPMs)?

First option. Worth to try.

First option. Worth to try.

OK.  I'll check it out later.

In the meantime, I came up with another (very much more complicated and time consuming) plan.

Y4VGAo7.jpg

I turned the AU-1 into an F4U-4B via .ini edits, then renamed the F4U-4B skins appropriately and copied them over.  There are some parts of the skin that don't match up (wheels, wheel wells, struts, etc..), but I think I have a plan correct that by making a template in gimp using the AU-1 skins that I can just place on top of all the F4U-4B skins.

I also was able to hide the 20mm cannons with the hide component trick, which means the AU-1 could be bashed into an F4U-4 as well.

Of course, all of that is unnecessary if Wilche's entry really fixes the prop.  I just forgot to try that last night, and ended up working on the above strategy instead.

Edited by malibu43

you do know that I have the templates, around here someplace....Ant was kind enough to locate them.

Now, I have re-locate them!

removing the cannons and using the existing -4 data ini shouldn't be an issue, as they're all the same size (the aircraft)

looking at the AU-1 and -5NL OUT files shows exactly what I was saying before about the prop blades

Again, the stepped formatting isn't showing (parent and child components), but you'll get the idea

Engine (232 polys, 696 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
     Cylinder01 (34 polys, 102 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
     Cylinder02 (36 polys, 108 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
     Propeller (264 polys, 792 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
      Blade01 (250 polys, 750 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
       Blade04 (250 polys, 750 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
       Blade02 (250 polys, 750 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
       Blade03 (250 polys, 750 verts) 'enginetail-Mat'
      Cone (232 polys, 696 verts) 'enginetail-metal'
      PropellerB (4 polys, 12 verts) 'hélice-15%'
      PropellerC (4 polys, 12 verts)

you can see the 4 blades called out, and the PropellerC, missing from the -4/-4B

I checked the skins from the AU-1 and the -4s and they're mapped identically; there's no major differences I can find. The only one that's different is the F4U5_enginetail, where there's a real tiny section that is mosly likely the radome

The only other major problem are the varying antenna on the AU -- the spine masts are completely different from the -4 series (see below). The lower antenna are for the radar altimeter and such; the upper masts are the standard radio, and for special air-to-ground radios.

Again, easily removable (via trial and error to find which mesh).

Now, it's just a matter of finding the time to sit down and really experiment with it

I checked the skins from the AU-1 and the -4s and they're mapped identically; there's no major differences I can find. The only one that's different is the F4U5_enginetail, where there's a real tiny section that is mosly likely the radome

There actually are a few minor differences.  If you compare, for example AU1_Leftwing.jpg with F4U4_leftwing.jpg, you'll see that the wheels are actually in a different spot.

However, I already made the masks in gimp so that you can layer all the "extra bits" (wheels, air intakes, etc...) from the AU-1 over the top of the of the F4U4 files, leaving just the main parts (wings, tail, fuse, etc...) showing the F4U4 paint.

edit - example.  Just layer this (created from AU1_leftwing.jpg) over the top of F4U4_leftwing.jpg in gimp and export as a new AU1_leftwing.jpg.  Bam!  You've got the F4U-4 skin with all the wheels and stuff from the AU-1.

OyqZSG9.png

I'll also have to figure out the right place to paint on the .50 cal guns for the F4U-4 since they aren't modelled.

Edited by malibu43

you know, I'd like to declare here and now that I'm a fuking idiot.

we're forgetting the -7. It has the cannon, the single mast and working props

you just let me worry about the guns. I've done this LOTS of time

Edited by Wrench

you know, I'd like to declare here and now that I'm a fuking idiot.

we're forgetting the -7. It has the cannon, the single mast and working props

you just let me worry about the guns. I've done this LOTS of time

Gotcha.  So do you still need anything from me?  If the -7 skins are mapped the same as the AU-1, I can still use my gimp masks to convert the -4 skins over.

edit - LOL.  "gimp masks".  Maybe I should call them stencils or something...

Edited by malibu43

not really. there are some differences. The -7, what I'm using just needs new right/left wing bmp/jpgs generated the enginetail and fues maps are the same. (it also has the extra masts, that I'd removed before

Unfortunately, EVERYONE of my skins will need those 2 new maps, and repositioning of the modex or insignias on the cowling (nose mesh). The good thing is, they're only off by 0.20

There's also a significant amount of data and loadout ini work, as "things be moved" on the 7 (some axis are different and so forth)

so, give me a week or so as I have to rebuild them all, and I'll issue ver.2 for ALL the TMF -4/-4B Corsairs. Like I said before, the main radio mast will NOT be correct for -4, but it'll be good enough

Edited by Wrench

not really. there are some differences. The -7, what I'm using just needs new right/left wing bmp/jpgs generated the enginetail and fues maps are the same. (it also has the extra masts, that I'd removed before

Unfortunately, EVERYONE of my skins will need those 2 new maps, and repositioning of the modex or insignias on the cowling (nose mesh). The good thing is, they're only off by 0.20

There's also a significant amount of data and loadout ini work, as "things be moved" on the 7 (some axis are different and so forth)

so, give me a week or so as I have to rebuild them all, and I'll issue ver.2 for ALL the TMF -4/-4B Corsairs. Like I said before, the main radio mast will NOT be correct for -4, but it'll be good enough

With the GIMP templates I've made, it will literally take me about 30 min to swap the -4/4B skins to the AU-1/F4U-7 mapping.  I'll send you the updated leftwing and rightwing .jpgs later today.

Wrench, just sent you a PM with the leftwing and rightwing jpgs converted for the F4U-7.

thank you, but I have Sundowner's original -7 templates. I'll give you're a look see, as I like to see how other folks do things.(bit a voyeur, doncha know!)

Gents, the F4U-7 has 5 underwing stores and the F4U-4B 4. Please, if you guys test my mod above the whole problem is solved.

Gents, the F4U-7 has 5 underwing stores and the F4U-4B 4. Please, if you guys test my mod above the whole problem is solved.

You know what? I forgot to try it again last night.  I'll try to remember tonight!

this is the prop with wilches "fix" (below)

compare it the image in the screenshots thread.

you know what, we can live with 10 rockets, instead of 8. OTH, I can set the loadout ini to only have 8, but then there's the 2 extra outer pylons just sitting there (as those are all one mesh...again, back to the issue of needing the MAX files to have them seperated into individuals)

this is the prop with wilches "fix" (below)

compare it the image in the screenshots thread.

you know what, we can live with 10 rockets, instead of 8. OTH, I can set the loadout ini to only have 8, but then there's the 2 extra outer pylons just sitting there (as those are all one mesh...again, back to the issue of needing the MAX files to have them seperated into individuals)

Well, I believe that I took the parameters from another file... My bad! Anyway, there goes the correct ones:

SpinnerNodeName=Propeller

StaticPropNodeName=blades

SlowPropNodeName=PropellerB

//FastPropNodeName=PropellerC

ReversePropOrientation=True

SlowPropRPM=1000

FastPropRPM=2700

MaxPropRPM=3060

IdlePropRPM=1000

Perhaps you may have to change the "PropDisc.TGA" file to make a more blurish one. This is what I done.

Well, I believe that I took the parameters from another file... My bad! Anyway, there goes the correct ones:

SpinnerNodeName=Propeller

StaticPropNodeName=blades

SlowPropNodeName=PropellerB

//FastPropNodeName=PropellerC

ReversePropOrientation=True

SlowPropRPM=1000

FastPropRPM=2700

MaxPropRPM=3060

IdlePropRPM=1000

Perhaps you may have to change the "PropDisc.TGA" file to make a more blurish one. This is what I done.

I'll give it a try later.

don't bother testing it ... it doesn't fucking work!! Look as the shots below, using his data. it's not just the prop statements, it the way the nodes/meshes are set up.

you know what, I'm going to go ahead with what I've got, that WORKS, even with the minor glitch with the extra rocket racks.

People that don't like it, can go back to the original, or live with what been done within the limitations of  NOT having the source MAX file to correct the various issues. I went through this same thing with the -1s and the FAA versions. I had Russo generating 3 or 4 different LODs to fix the rails.

This is it, this is how its going to be. End of lecture

Wrench, replace the "PropDisc.TGA" for another, the P-51D´s for example.

dude, I've already spent an ENTIRE day on fixing this, redoing all the skins using the other lod. Now, you want me throw that all out?

GFY

pics  1 without wilches fix and

others are with it and propdisc.tga from another a\c...

f4u-4b and f4u-4

must have the tga in skin and a\c folder seems it been split in max between folders.

post-1981-0-27882400-1403213330_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-10151800-1403213335_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-94942800-1403213350_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-71759500-1403213357_thumb.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

that's all well and good, Russ. But...I've already put 36 hours continuous (except for sleeping last night) into fixing this

so, here's the choices:

1) prop fix, correct wing pylons, all other issues remain (non folding wings, parking issues on the boat, etc)

2) different LOD, prop fixed, incorrect/extra pylons, no parking issues - wings fold properly, parked on the boat correctly, etc.

I know what I'm doing.

Pylon question ? When the wings fold do the rocket stay on the pylons? That is move with them.

yes indeed! on the -1D, -7, -5.

also on these (-4s) using the -7 lod, too

• Like 1

1) prop fix, correct wing pylons, all other issues remain (non folding wings, parking issues on the boat, etc)

2) different LOD, prop fixed, incorrect/extra pylons, no parking issues - wings fold properly, parked on the boat correctly, etc.

Nothing wrong with having both choices out there so folks can choose between folding wings or correct number of pylons.   :good: