does sombody know what year exactly the USAF F-4E´s changed from the old center tank to the F-15 type HPC center tank ????

i can not find any specific date but i found some pictures from 1978 showing F-4E´s with HPC center tank , the german air force F-4F changed in 1980 from the old to the HPC center tank

Edited by ravenclaw_007

Maybe this will help:

http://s362974870.on...howtopic=254217

no exact date

the estimations reached from early 80´s to 85´s

maybe the transfer to fit the tank to all in service F-4E´s took some time.

From an F-4 Pilot:

"We had them at Ramstein starting from around 1985"

Edited by dast24

Thanks , in this case the F-4E_78 will be made with the old center tank :scratch:

I thought it coincided with the entry into service of the F-4G.

The F-15A entered service in 1976, the tank was apparently developed with the F-15 in mind, so it probably entered service together with the F-15, therefore it makes sense to me to consider a starting date between 1976 and 1978.

I thought it coincided with the entry into service of the F-4G.

yap , that is correct an i have pictures from 1978 showing F-4E´s with that tank but i can not verify that this pictures are reale taken in 1978 so i´m looking for somebody who realy knows

and i find it a bit funny that the german air force dit start to use the tank in 1980 but the USAF in 1983 to 1985

but for now the F-4E_78 still uses the old tank antil i get the proof that in 1978 realy some of this F-4E´s did fly with the HPC tank

yap , that is correct an i have pictures from 1978 showing F-4E´s with that tank but i can not verify that this pictures are reale taken in 1978 so i´m looking for somebody who realy knows

Could you link or upload these photos?

I also think that the HPC tank was first used on the F-4G. I also remember reading somewhere that initially they were retained for the weasels only.

The earliest picture I could find showing an F-4E with an HPC tank was taken in '84. I also found pix depicting Ramstein-based Phantoms still with the old tank taken sometime in '85.

The earliest pictures I could find showing Luftwaffe F-4Fs and RF-4Es with HPC tanks were taken in '83.

(Of course it is possible that the tank was introduced earlier, but for me the best proof is dated photos.)