quack74

First Persuit Group N28's project

Ok, finally getting started on the Nieuport 28's. I'm going to do my best to make a complete set of skins for all known '28's of the 27th, 94th, 95th, and 147th Aero Squadrons in early to mid 1918. There is two ways I could do this. One would be to create a whole bunch of seperate skins for each squadron. Or two, create 1 skin for each group and use decals to create each pilot or ace skin within that group like I did with the sopwith triplanes of Naval10. BTW, do you guys prefer having one skin folder that uses decals as apposed to a whole bunch of skin folders. I like the decals because you can see all the different color schemes at randomn when flying and you can select which profiles you want in your squadron or flight.

Let me know what you guys think. Decals or Skin folders. Either way it's going to be a lot of Photoshop work. Going to be very hard to get all the artwork that some have on the cowling ( stripes, teeth, zig-zags etc etc) Just need to finish up the base skin first. Lots of small details need attention. Here are some pics of the 4 groups:

post-33545-0-14744900-1356964521_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-20549000-1356964523_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-74648900-1356964524_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-23497500-1356964526_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-87655900-1356964527_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-16372300-1356964529_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-81156100-1356964530_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-27648200-1356964532_thumb.jpg

my personal preference is the decals. I like the way that the game will have many different looking skins flying AI with decals with individual skins the computer is stuck with one skin for the whole squadron.I will take anything your offering as your skins are simply works of art.

Your skins are a work of art !!! :air_kiss: , but I think the decals are the way to go too.

Fixed national markings look MUCH better on FE planes, especially at low viewing angles. There is no need for decals for the roundels or tail flashes on the Nieu.28 as they only served operationally with the USAS, I believe, and I don't think it's desirable to cater for 'what-if', non-historical service histories. Unit or individual markings are a different matter.

Looking forward to these, either way!

I think you're right about decals, Quack. Lots of variations in these squadrons lend themselves to decals. Do you have a liberty poster for the wings? I may still have one laying around somewhere on my hard drive, but it may be on my laptop that fried...

It was on that laptop. Sorry. But you can find them on the net.

Fight or buy bonds. Third Liberty Loan

Edited by Heck

Hey Quack, Any progress on these Nieuport 28 skins? Vontobler

• Like 1

I had to take a break from them. Trying to get the decals to work on the cowl mesh was driving me nuts. I had to make a lot of number decals too. Lots of different colors and fonts. I will get back to work on them. I would like to finish them too.

Looking forward to them, Quack. I know it's probably considered strange, but this is one of my favorite planes to fly.

Still looking forward to these. Good to see the colours on the fin/rudder in the right order on an Nie.28 at last! Always liked this bird since building the little Revel 1/72 version when it was released in the 1960s.

Thanks Quack, I really appreciate your hard work on FE2, you and several others have made this a great game, keep up the great work and look forward to any new files you release. VonTobler

OHHHHH.....YEAA.....!!!!!! VERY VERY NICE, CANT WAIT TO DOWNLOAD THIS ONE, THANKS QUACK..

Those are beautiful, Quack. Your attention to the small details makes your skins perfect. Looking forward to these, since I love flying the 28. Thanks for your hard work.

Gorgeous! Looking forward to these!!!

Great stuff, Quack!

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

• Like 1

I just need to make the numbers for each of the four squadrons. I'm trying to find a Font that's close enough for each one. In reality each squadron painted many different styles of numbers on individual planes so it will be hard to make them all. It would be a lot of numbers to do one at a time. So I will try to make a decent generic number font for each one instead just to get it done faster. The numbers will look like the ones in the pictures above. Also I will be making flight colored cowls that will appear in flight order eg: Red "A", White "B", and Blue "C" flights. And wheel hubs to match. I've been trying to get flight patterns on the cowl panels like those of the 95th Aero. But there is so much distortion wrapping around each mesh that it's just not looking too good. I tried painting them on and using decals. But still too hard. So it might be awhile before you see any custom nose paint jobs. Solid colors of red, white, and blue will have to do for now anyway. BTW anyone know where I can find a free Racing type number font like those of the USAS Aero Squads?

it looks like a completely different model. the skin just brings this old bird back to life.

• Like 1

147th Aero Squadron using decals for flight colors. They show up in groups of 5. Red "A" flight, White "B" flight, and Blue "C" flight. post-33545-0-67798500-1369062146_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-43695600-1369062148_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-70799300-1369062149_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-55521800-1369062150_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-96153700-1369062151_thumb.jpg

Edited by quack74
  • Like 2

Sooooooo very nice, hope to see these soon, great work again Quack, VonTobler

Getting there. Need to number all the decals and touch up a few of them in the process. And I'm still trying to fudge with the cowl decals of the 95th Aero. From the sides they look great but distort like crazy at the top and bottom. Will take awhile for those.post-33545-0-05522300-1369152111_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-45510800-1369152112_thumb.jpg See what I meanpost-33545-0-99136600-1369152250_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-00582300-1369152252_thumb.jpg

Edited by quack74

Thanks for all your hard work, Quack. I hope you can find a work around for that one mesh issue. But even if you can't these skins take a great model to a whole new level. Great stuff.

Edited by Heck