The Turkey's plenty agile, just don't go into a dogfight with the Buffalo slung underneath! Obviously, if you want more of an edge, use the GE powered birds. There is one thing to always remember, as you get more modern with your aircraft/campaigns, the OPFOR weapons are going to better match your own, so if you get in too close, expect to see some face-shooter heaters or active missiles coming your way!

I don´t fly the F-14 a lot, indeed, my favs would be USN Phantoms, but i give a chance to the replacement from time to time. Last time, coming home with another Tomcat after a succesful intercept of cruise missile bombers, we met 4 Floggers and engaged them as we only expended the Phoenixes. I don´t know what did i do wrong, but i stalled and crashed. I stall, spin and anything on slatless phantoms without any trouble, however, i couldn´t recover the stall on the Tomcat. I felt as stupid as Tom Cruise. All this happened with stock TW models.

Strange, considering the Tomcat's flat spin mode wasn't irrecoverable, but the Phantom's could be. Usually if I spin the Turkey, it's rudder opposite spin, stick back and it spits out after a few revolutions. Never lost one to a spin in the virtual world. If I had to guess, you probably got below 50KIAS in a turn somehow and the bird "auto departed" like the TW models are wont to do. Real world you could do hands off stick (incipient phase), or manual sweep the wings past 58 deg, then counter spin using rudder and the plane would recover from loss of lift combined with shifted aft c of g. The NATOPS procedures were kind of...egh...at least as described by pilots who used the former procedures to recover their birds.

EDIT: There has been an occasion when it was stick forward, usually after the nose began to dip, but I've only spun the bird about 5 times.

Edited by Caesar

Usually throttling to idle helped that as well for me, and maybe some rudder input before nosing down though.

maybe the point was "stick back", as for phantoms i put the stick forward, that was the main difference between what i did and what you said. In fact, it felt like it couldn't pitch down, it was the opposite i'm used to see ingame

Actually, that's a critical step I didn't list up there, Eric: idle throttles. Every time I was in a spin, the first thing I did was idle the throttles! Second step, lift the flaps if down, because you're trying to kill the lift that's holding the bird in the spin. Since in-game you can't shift the wings back, it goes to the more classical spin recovery efforts compared to the less orthodox but more effective ones you could use in reality. Rudder opposite spin, stick back. There have been occasions where throwing in some spoiler or even forward stick has helped "kick it out" as the spin slows and the nose drops (think I've done that on one or two occasions), but be careful when you execute because if it is too early, you can exacerbate the spin.

On the original subject, I've been enjoying your videos, ZL!

Guys, again, the past few posts have been amazing! And I got a good laugh at "Stupid as Tom Cruise" hahahaha, ouch much.

Thanks for the advice and the links to the manuals. Hopefully soon I will have some disposable income due to tax returns, and I'll likely pick those up. Also the posts on stall and spin recovery, are really informative, and I'll be giving them some practice runs. Thanks again everyone, and thanks for all the video views! :smile:

Watched Chapter 5 yesterday.

Clearly the best so far.

Had to laugh at some of your comments, e.g * OMG Hes SHOOTING at ME !!!* or the *YES!!!!* after gunning the mig which came as a burst after some stressed low volume bla blub :skull:

One method to get easier kills is to look after your wingmen. When they have trapped a mig at their 6 then the mig is predictable for a short time .. as are you too then... always check 6 ...

The Turkey's plenty agile, just don't go into a dogfight with the Buffalo slung underneath! Obviously, if you want more of an edge, use the GE powered birds. There is one thing to always remember, as you get more modern with your aircraft/campaigns, the OPFOR weapons are going to better match your own, so if you get in too close, expect to see some face-shooter heaters or active missiles coming your way!

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that the turkey aint agile. i mean it's not the most agile. Like i said it's responsive but just doesn't dart around like an F-16 or a rafale. Personally, i love how the F-14 handles it's confidence inspiring as you know you wont be botching it by giving too much of a bad input. the "flap method" you thought me also worked wonders, allowing me to curl inside a lot of unsuspecting targets when going BVR gets too boring. (i don't know i'm just so lucky with the AIM-54)

As for the Tomcat flatspin/stalling.... That only happens once in a blue moon. basically you must really want it to stall to get it out of control and recovery is a zinch.

Zomb. Where's the next vid?

Hey you got a link to your videos Hero?

But yeah... but flaps is an entirely different issue when you have auto flaps (like I'm used to) but as soon as your jet stops moving, also wiggle it a bit (nothing serious a good left/right will do) and then apply power, and note your altitude will drop about one, two thousand feet (or more depending on your ability to think it through). Then again I don't deal with stall that much as I have to fly on Normal, or I'd be fighting the jet more than actually flying it (assymetric loads).

Hey you got a link to your videos Hero?

But yeah... but flaps is an entirely different issue when you have auto flaps (like I'm used to) but as soon as your jet stops moving, also wiggle it a bit (nothing serious a good left/right will do) and then apply power, and note your altitude will drop about one, two thousand feet (or more depending on your ability to think it through). Then again I don't deal with stall that much as I have to fly on Normal, or I'd be fighting the jet more than actually flying it (assymetric loads).

Normal FM on asymmetric load is fair enough in the Hornet as the plane computer deals with it in RL(i think).

Guys, thanks for the continued interest in my Let's Plays! Makes my day!!!

@Crusader: Sorry and R.I.P. to all the head phone users. lol I'm still figuring out the audio levels in game and in FRAPs and for my own speaking voice as well. Thanks for watching!

@Saisran: I can't be sure, I've got a really off the wall work week (the pitfalls of working retail and driving a cab) but I should have them up soon!

@EricJ: Sure do! Thanks for the interest in my videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/Leephoto44/videos?view=1&flow=grid

That's the link to my Playlists, I also have some other uploads, but the Strike Fighters 2 playlist seems most active and obviously more relevant, lol

Normal FM on asymmetric load is fair enough in the Hornet as the plane computer deals with it in RL(i think).

I think so, as it adapts for the 5-wet configuration, Id have to take a peek in the NATOPs and doublecheck. I know the FSX one you have to really trim to get it right though.

And thanks for the link both! :smile:

Edited by EricJ

Even in the Super Hornet the Mig-19s aren't very good, one I can deal with but you really have to watch it with two.. I've gotten shot down quite a few times by the UFOs (Mig-19s)

I just watched Ch.5, good job. In hindsight, you should probably have taken more guys along. The game allows you to take as many as you want really as long as you have planes and pilots. Especially when using inferior hardware (Hunter without afterburner or IRMs vs MiG-17s and 19s) I try to tip the odds in my favour by bringing a lot of guys. Sometimes, all of them. :blink:

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Centurion! I'll keep that in mind too. I didn't really expect to see that many MiGs, and I was also being a cheapskate...The more guys I bring up with me the more I pay. However that's kind of a mute point, because the fuel and droptanks are free...hmm. Noted. The roster is gonna get a lot of flight hours now, unless I have to buy bombs, lol.

Yeah, well the cost of replacing one plane is 10-30K so a few bombs are inexpensive in comparison :biggrin: You can just buy bombs or rockets for one flight then have the other flights as support to slug it out with the migs. More planes mean better mutual support. Also, when selecting wingmen pay attention to the SKL column, ie. skill. If I'm correct it's the most important factor in defining the overall abilites of your wingnuts.. err.. wingmen.

I can clear merc mission easily. I fly the best jet available against the oldest fleet of migs.

:airplane: :airplane: :airplane:

Mig-17 and Mig-19s doesn't stand a chance against an AIM-54. :bomb::boxing::jk:

@Centurion: Makes perfect sense, and you can't really argue with that point. Bombs are a hell of a lot cheaper than a whole new plane. I was watching skill a bit, but I was more concerned about condition too, as I figured a guy falling asleep in the cockpit might be easy cannon fodder, but skills would make a lot of sense too. Thanks for the advice again.

@Saisran: LOL, why not right? I mean, if you got it, use it. Mercs are merciless. :D

What time is it?

Oh yeah, double post time! My last reply has been up to long to edit and attach this as an addendum....

Anyways, here's my issue: I have installed a MiG-19 Mod as I may be doing a mercenary mode as the OpFor...Crazy, huh? Okay, should be fairly standard. The file I chose had everything included in it and fairly straight forward instructions: drop everything into the proper mod folders as they are presented. Super simple. Not the case. Now I have a pilot with his legs sticking out of the bottom of the jet. While humorous, it's proven quite frustrating to fix. File is paulopanz's MiG-19 with field mod, and included in it was the FakePilot folder.

Anyone have any help they can offer me? I followed directions exactly and I keep getting this:

post-82695-0-10177900-1359574483_thumb.jpg

Triple Post because I rock!!!

I figured out my own issue guys, I'm sorry. To make matter worse, I didn't follow the instructions like I thought I did....and I have the edit button available on my last post, but apparently "I do not have permission to edit this topic"

Maybe an admin finally locked me for all my posts...hope not, but issue is solved.

Apparently after several beers and lack of sleep, one should not get the brilliant idea to mod their game. I went back through and instead of placing the included pilot folders into the objects>pilots folder filepath, I placed mine literally into the Strike Fighter 2 Pilots folder. So for anyone else who may ever have that trouble, there ya go.

Drugs are bad, stay in school kids. :blind:

post-82695-0-98759400-1359576459_thumb.jpg

Kudos

Thanks Saisran. I'm having a new problem when I try to start a new merc campaign on the side of the warsaw pact forces using the campaign customizer. It allows me to set everything just as I like but when I attempt to start the campaign by clicking accept, the game hangs up and wont go forward. However, the MIG plays and flies fine in single mission mode. Is there something I need to change in order to use the MIG in campaign mode?

Thanks in advance guys!

--Lee

not sure, coz you didn't change anything on the actual campaign itself. but you could try deleting any existing campaigns. i usually have this problem after some campaign Ini edit, effect mods or adding new weapons or objects. Other may give you a better advice thou.

not sure, coz you didn't change anything on the actual campaign itself. but you could try deleting any existing campaigns. i usually have this problem after some campaign Ini edit, effect mods or adding new weapons or objects. Other may give you a better advice thou.

Yeah, after I installed the MiG 19 correctly, I did a reboot of my machine, and chose a red thunder campaign with a new pilot, and used the campaign customizer to set up on the side of the warsaw pact forces, in mercenary mode. Once I click accept, the game just freezes still. So no dice on a reboot after install, and I have a new pilot on a new campaign. I haven't edited anything, and what is strange is that the MiG 19 mod works just fine in single mission tests I've done.

I appreciate your help though, Saisran, I was really hoping you were right and a clean everything would work, but I'm beginning to wonder if I need to add something to the aircraft's ini or maybe the campaign's ini itself to be able to use the custom plane.