i was trying to send a 24MB zipped file in PM to get some other eyes on a project of mine. however it says i can only upload 5 MB and the file is too big. whats going on? i have uploaded way bigger files in the past via PM so i'm abit curious as to why and when the change.

• Like 1

Go to your profile and look in "My Settings", then select "Manage Attachments". That should show you how much space you have for attachments and how it is allocated.

might have to clear out some attachments, like KJakker said

no thats not the prob i have 45 mb limit in attachments, only using 5.1. when i use full editor to send a PM and try to upload the file, it states that maximum file size is 5 MB. my file is 24 MB. i figure this is a site issue or membership issue.

who ever gets this fixed gets on my mail list for trial run on Euro1 Hercs!

just tried it again. same 5 MB limit with advanced and basic uploaders.

Edited by daddyairplanes

It's not how much you have stored in your attachment space.

It's how much you can attach per post which is a hard setting you have no control over.

Subscription members have no limit, Elite members like yourself have a 5MB file limit per post. So if you fell off of a subscription plan this would account for why it has changed. It is part of the perks of a subscription membership. The basis of all this has to do with how we manage disk space. It is nothing personal it's a factor of scaling. For example if all member types used their maximum amount of storage it equals some insane number 4.9TB. Based on averages per account type if all members used their average amount of allotted storage it equals less than our total disk space so we don't end up in a bad situation, aka disk limit reached. (Very very bad in conditions where MYSQL needs to write but can't so it causes the DB to become corrupt and fail possibly a fatal error) You have to plan for those types of conditions to do otherwise could cause bigger issues that would have you guys asking, "is this guy an idiot?"

I'm open to suggestions but at the same time I have to consider the entire use not just the single use which granted is not a big deal. Is the file private or what's the usage? Maybe there's something else I can figure out for you. For example Modders have a private warehouse they can put files in the download section, that could be used to transfer large files, it's semi-private and you could remove the file after it's been moved. The download section as an example uses it's own disk space, that's why the limits are different there in case you were curious. Yes, it's a complicated mouse trap we've built but I'm proud of it cause it works pretty damn good. :)

Let me know.

ok. not happy but i understand. wanting to get a subscription, but hard when uncle same yanks 98% of yer tax refund back to settle a debt. and i dont think i'm prolific enough to be considered a full on modder. will try to get the beta to some folks in another way. Thanks alot Erik.

Fixed. Enjoy the new digs. Don't get me started on the other issues.