some of you know I sort of live two places 100 miles apart, and sometimes do modding stuff in both

Story is I spend first weekend of spring with my lady, in the time not occupied by the whole "living with my lady" thing I drew some gauges textures for some projects I do. Packing for the other place I saved the files to my old (must emphasise this) pendrive I found in the desk. Out of habit I save numerous copies as I progress, like gauges.psd, gauges copy.psd, gauges copy 2.psd etc.

Soo, back the other place I plug the pendrive to copy some files, my work included, just to find out that files are corrupted, together with Windows alarming me I should run checkdisk on the pendrive (at this point I was close to throw it out the window into the garden so thanks Windows...) BUT the gauges -copy2.psd turned out to be fine, so no harm done for me this time. My odd habit saved me some hours of PS work.

Moral of the story?

Backup your stuff, bad things happen

Definitely, I'll tell you another story, during all my time with PC's in life, I NEVER lost data by hardware failure I even still have fully functioning 270MB(yes that's megabytes) Caviar from my 486 with no bad sectors at all...

However last month during my monthly system check-up I noticed bad messages in the EventViewer and yes...I have bad sectors, my HDD started re-allocating them so I don't have much time.

Point of the story - sooner or later hardware will brake...so don't rely on it.

Thats what i was thinking myself--- how long a HDD lasts... I should back up my old CD disks too... but to where? another HDD?

I already lost all floppies, casettes from C-64 and also 100+ small floppies from my 486...

I dont have anything, but my data pn my laptop and a couple of books... so... Is there any really reliable storage method?

... that is not the size of a car, LOL :D

gold-plated CDs?

Todays hard drives are nowhere near as reliable as older ones, super old 80GB disks still work here, newer 500GB started to go south...

I seriously wouldn't recommend Seagate drives to anybody, WD or Hitachi are ok although there's no guarantees, speaking of which WD Black series gives 5 years warranty which makes it a leader in that respect...

Edited by Brain32

my 40 and 80 GBs from around late 2002 still work ok in my old backup system, haven't been formatted in several years, but I use those rarely

• Like 1

I just lost My Machine last week due to a Processor Fan going south. Lost the last two Years of stuff. But with a IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 Cable, I got most back and more. I had two IDE hard drives sitting around and decided to look and see what was on them. Well, I got back stuff that I thought I lost going back to 2002. Still lost the two Years though.

So Yhea, Back Up- Back Up...........Back Up!

331KillerBee

Hello,

I back up on external HDDs (Photos, scanned documentation, SF2 Mods, etc...).

My most precious elements are not on the internal HDDs.

I have two PCs in two places, each machine have its external HDD for back up.

My external HDDs are sort of back up "clones"...

Coupi.

Edited by Coupi

To save space consider Zipping your files for Archive they wont take up as much space on whatever you backup on,and you can unzipp them whenever you need them. :biggrin:

what about those internet drive services like google keep offering me?

Keep your vital stuff on as many different hdds as possible! Nothing is worse than losing hard work.

• Like 1

Since i lost all my references and a big part of my templates, i back up every 14 days on Saturday.

It goes all to an external HDD and then again on another one.

Not too mention you can be pleasntly suprised by what you find in old folders.....

• Like 1

Not too mention you can be pleasntly suprised by what you find in old folders.....

That´s right.

But the things i hope to find on old back ups (Diego´s original Argentinean A-4s),

haven´t been found by me yet... :-(

what about those internet drive services like google keep offering me?

I think that thing might just be pretty usefull...

thought so, thanks Brain