Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

What would you do if you found $42,000

Hand it in of course.............................

Donations of more than $110,000 (£67,000) have poured in from across the US for a Boston homeless man who returned a lost bag with $42,000 in it.

Glen James alerted police after he found the backpack containing cash and traveller's cheques last weekend, and the bag's owner was then tracked down.

A complete stranger later started an online fund for Mr James after reading media reports about his honesty.

The man, Ethan Whittington, now plans to meet Mr James to give him the money.

Mr Whittington, who lives in Midlothian, Virginia, said he was so overwhelmed by Mr James' honesty that he decided to start the fund.

"The fact that he's in the situation he is, being homeless, it blew my mind that he would do this,'' Mr Whittington was quoted as saying by the Associated Press.

He said his idea of starting donations on a crowdfunding website for Mr James "caught on like wildfire ever since".

"It's brought me a lot of hope. This isn't only about rewarding a great guy. I think it's a statement to everyone in America.

"If we come together and work toward one thing and work together, then we can make it happen."

Meanwhile, Mr James, a former Boston courthouse employee, said that he would not have kept "even a penny" of the money he had found in the backpack - even if he were desperate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24170670

Edited by MigBuster
  • Like 1

I can with complete honesty say that if I where homeless, I doubt very much I would have returned the money.

I am glad his honesty paid off in this case!

There are places, I don't know if that corner of Boston is one of them, where when you find $42,000 in a bag, there's a big chance the cash belongs to very bad guys with very bad temper. So it's better to hand over the sum to the police and keep on feeling your fingers cold, rather than have the sum snatched from your stiff hands with severed fingers...

Vengeur got a point but damn nice to hear about this story and the outcome!

never been in this kind of situation but if so I hope I would act the same way and return the money.

Why I'd hand it to one of those honest gentlemen belonging to one of those fine investment firms on Wall Street since I know there's nothing that could possibly go wrong !

Edited by Atreides