Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Halberstadt D.V

Edward included some parked aircraft in his Flanders terrain. They included destroyed versions and could be targeted. I started to make some generic planes under repair (with parts missing) but I got distracted by other things. I'll have to see if I can remember where I put them...

Geezer, great job on the skins, by the way, I'm looking forward to the flying the Halberstadt.

I forgot all about those parked models from the Flanders terrain. Duh. I think they were mostly mid to late war models right? I am using the "crashed" models for the crashed aircraft effect for FE2. I should have remembered the parked models. Good call Stephen1918. Just a couple of early crashed models would do then.

Been upgrading the Halberstadt D5 model.  Should get it off to Ojcar soon-ish, for tweaking Bordafarm's old FM.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Yes, this is great news. It's a superb model, and the plane is an wonderful addition to the game. Thanks for all the work.

Edited by extremeone

Thanks, it will be great!

Perhaps, in order to fly this wonderful plane, I would go over to the enemy - perfer the crosses on the wing! :-))

Two more progress shots, plus a really large 1930s hangar for Spanish civil war and Battle of Britain.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

Cockpit is nearly finished - still needs a windshield.

• Like 3

Had a couple of glasses of wine, and decided to make a new pilot figure right out of those horrible old Hollywood movies.

The "Evil Hun."  :biggrin:

Didn't I see him in "Wings", or was it "The Dawn Patrol" (the original version)????

super figure, Geezer!!

Didn't I see him in "Wings", or was it "The Dawn Patrol" (the original version)????

super figure, Geezer!!

Thanks - it was The Dawn Patrol.  I forgot the Castrol stains.  :blackeye:

Edited by Geezer

BTW, David Niven wasn't just another pretty Hollywood face.  When Britain declared war in 1939, Niven chucked his movie career, returned to England, and was re-commisioned in the Highland Light Infantry.  He later transferred to the Royal Commandos in time for the Normandy invasion.

Got the old test version of six months ago dusted off and working ingame to establish a baseline.

• Like 2

Got the new version working ingame.  Lots of problems to fix, but at least it flies and fights!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Slowly fixing problems.  Our fearless Halberstadt pilot is having an "Oh S**t!" kind of day.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

The Halberstadt is looking really good! I'm looking forward to flying this one!

The Halberstadt is looking really good! I'm looking forward to flying this one!

Thanks.  Got the cockpit done, though the bracing wires need tweaking.  Still got a few more things to do, such as LODs, but it should be ready for Ojcar pretty soon.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

The radically curved lower wing trailing edge seems counter-intuitive, but is accurate.  Shots below show the curved trailing edge was typical of Halberstadt designs.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

I believe the curvature was called washout. If I remember what I read correctly, the Germans used it to counter tip stalling.

Such curvature of the lower wing was distinguished not only Halberstadt designs.

Look at LVG Roland D.IIa, for example:

Edited by Crowford

Two more Rolands, who got in trouble. Visible characteristic curve of the lower wing.

I'm sorry. I made a mistake and did not have time to edit it.

Of course, Roland is the brainchild of the company LFG (Luftfahrzeug Gesellschaft), not LVG! Yes, this topic is not about Roland, but once I started talking about it, I should be precise. :)

The so-called "curvature" of which we speak, is simply the aerodynamic fairing, made in order to encure a smooth transition from the lower wing to the fuselage. (When created Albatrosses, their constructors are not bothered by this, although the streamlined they paid a lot of attention.)

Edited by Crowford

I'm sorry. I made a mistake and did not have time to edit it.

Of course, Roland is the brainchild of the company LFG (Luftfahrzeug Gesellschaft), not LVG! Yes, this topic is not about Roland, but once I started talking about it, I should be precise. :)

The so-called "curvature" of which we speak, is simply the aerodynamic fairing, made in order to encure a smooth transition from the lower wing to the fuselage. (When created Albatrosses, their constructors are not bothered by this, although the streamlined they paid a lot of attention.)

Yes, the lower wing root was a major source of aerodynamic drag that few constructors cared about in WW1.  In the early 1930s, constructors had to make smooth transitions to reduce drag.

• Like 1

Got the test version off to Ojcar and Steve today.  Hangar and loading screens below, based on viper63a's templates.

• Like 1

More test shots.  I keep experimenting with game lighting - the stock light settings are too dark and murky for bright sunshine.  If you like the look of high summer shown below, drop the attached ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM file into your FLIGHT folder.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1