Nyghtfall

new A-4 Skyhawk skins, rookie asks for opinions please.

@Eole: Thanks for the recommendations! Atm I just use Photoshop for everything, but Artweaver and Xnview seem to be interesting additions. Thats an impressive project and a very interesting plane! Any pictures abvailable? :) If I can help you with anything, just say the word.

@Wrench: Yeah, seems TK wanted to force all modders to create complete new skins for everything ;) Partial templates are an interesting idea, never thought of that. I'd love to have a look at them.

As far as the color is concerned, Wrench's point about film and lighting could not be more true.

In the attached pic, 510 is in a shadow and the nose matches Nyghtfall's dark interpretation. 505 is in direct sunlight and matches the stock gray better.

Keep up the good work Nyghtfall!

post-38143-0-59951400-1413408806_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrazyhorseB34

I tested several colors, line-variations and cloudeffects now and I think the 2 versions below are much better now. v1 still looks a tad to bright in my opinion (escpecially in game), so v2 it is then.

thanks all for your input! :)

first pic is the shadow side of the plane, second is the sunny side

post-89464-0-03178000-1413550213_thumb.jpg

post-89464-0-96195200-1413550221_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Like 1

The dark is too dark for me, I still prefer Version 1, but Version 2 will be apreciatted, and after all is your work, and your choose. Enjoy!

don't forget differences in film stock as well.  These can give all sorts of changes to the print. Kodachrome or Technicolor or (whatever that is for color prints), especially when aged, change.  

I just used a base "gull grey" and 'insignia white"

I'll agree 5000%, getting correct Navy colors is a royal PITA.  ALWAYS find the base color, not do a sample (as I learned when doing the Super Hornet project) as grey is very fickle in various lighting and as such getting the right base color is paramount.

Always hard to find the right color....

But your skins look very good! :good:

Would be cool to have some highrez Agressor skins and maybe a Green-Grey Marines OA-4M.

one thing the impressiont movent tryed to do  was that color diference during day on there landscape paintings so they made series of the very same paint but always whit the colors of htat our or that day

every our every colors change in the outdoors one day´s green want the outher day´s green same after a half an hour or so

off that  does no work well here but know this helps to avoid mistakes load of talk his the right or not.

so check simmerpaintshop for rbg code for the greys they have colors chart for USAF,UNS ,etc

i find that site very usefull!

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/page-RGB-colors-USA.html

Cocas

Daniel

Hey Guys,

thanks for all your replies.

Simmers Paint Shop is an amazing site! I used your post to redo the different camos I once started without finishing them and I really like the results. In comparison with Simmers I ususally used to dark colors. Now everything looks slightly faded, just the right amount. :)

Aggressors are eyecatchers for sure, but require some more time to create. I think I will create some, but probably not within the next weeks.

About the OA-4M. Just yesterday I thought about trying to create an improved skin for the TA-4F/TA-4H-model that is available here. And although I like it, because its the only 2seat Skyhawk-model available (I think) it's got several shortcomings and I don't think, that an improved skin alone would work in the end. I recently discovered in the WoV-skins, that TK for example used shadow effects on the leading edges of wings, ailerons and so on to enhance the appeal of a curved surface. Such things are absolutely needed for it. Unfortunately I neither have 3dmax nor the knowledge how to use it, otherwise I would even try to create a new one.

post-89464-0-24192500-1413925833_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Indeed, the TA-4 has some serious LOD issues (few of which I was able to 'fiddle out in the SF2 upgrades). Unfortunately ... the creator has left the community, and we don't have the MAX files. Which would mean someone has to build a completely new aircraft.

Asia Minor skin looks righteous....

• Like 1

Lovely skins, and those camo versions especially look really kickass!

• Like 1