Erik

Net Neutrality - URGENT

We the taxpayers did not build the Internet network and fiber optic connection system that the private companies use to provide service. The companies built that on their own dime, and charged back to the users.

Why do you think the government built that and gave it to the companies?

And 4G isn't exactly bad. It won't support some uses but certainly handles most individuals' needs.

All I can do is shake my head at this point.  :suicide: 

In the 1980s the National Science Foundation. [1][2] Funding continues to date to upgrade and modernize routes for use. Yes their is private involvement but not at the level of the government. (BTW this is a world wide philosophy not just specific to the USA) However, if you believe that any internet traffic isn't monitored by the government and the NSA [3] doesn't watch every bit that transitions our networks then I'd like to sell you the Washington Memorial. The infrastructure was built by design with national security and defense in mind. You don't get that without the word Federal and that means taxpayer dollars.

If you call the latency of satellite acceptable by all means buy it. [4]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Science_Foundation

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Agency

[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access

*specifically look at the part about latency and it being roughly 20 times slower than land based systems

That does not mean that the private companies didn't build their networks. They absolutely did.

The government initially established their own network and continues to build and operate government networks. But that does not translate to our taxpayer dollars bulding what the private companies have built. They built their own networks and charge their customers for it.

saying our tax dollars built what the companies use is somewhat like saying that since the KC-135 was built for the USAF, all the airlines commercial 4 engine jets were taxpayer funded. It doesn't track.

I do not dispute that satellite networks are not as fast as land based systems via cable or telephone. My point was that there absolutely is competition and alternativs are available for just about everyone.

Are signatures from all over the world relevant or only USA? I saw the petition and know what's it about but since FCC is US Agency I didn't try to sign it however, I am quite aware this will spread all over the world...

Wow barely a month later after I wrote the above I hear about this: https://www.theverge.com/2014/12/6/7345219/angela-merkel-argues-against-net-neutrality-calls-for-special-access

This is gearing up to be the battle royale of the millenium.

This changes the rules to everything and can't be allowed to happen.

This is like buying a sandwich. You paid for it and you sit down to eat it. Open it and the bread wants to charge you for carrying the bacon, the lettuce wants to charge you for keeping the bacon dry, and the tomato wants to charge you because we eat too many tomatoes.

If the USA falls to this the entire World will follow. This is where the fabric of what we have starts to unravel and soon it will be a bunch of people taking their toys and going home. Imagine Microsoft or Google going dark tomorrow because they refuse to be extorted like Netflix, or Wikipedia going dark because they can't pay their bandwidth bill. It's a fucking reality and these politicians and world leaders need to stand up against it. Imagine when consumers finally get enough of it and go back to actually going to lunch with real people and not tweeting about it. Back to the stone age people over the greed of Verizon and Comcast.

LEAVE THE INTERNET ALONE - LEAVE NET NEUTRALITY IN PLACE

• Like 4

JANUARY 7, 2015

--UPDATE--

Congress is counting on us "the general public" to be uninformed and ignorant to what's going on so they can slide this by us just like everything they do. Congress believes ruling a nation is NOT for the "common people" and we're too stupid to know what's happening or even care. This has to stop and we need to all rally behind our belief of free and unhindered access to the internet. This may well be the biggest battle of our generation and they are trying to sweep it under the rug with procedure and laws to regulate something that's not theirs so they can fill their pockets with our money. End this now.

Congress is trying to kill all our hard to keep net neutrality! We need to speak up the time is now. Every second counts.

Click here to tell Congress not to kill net neutrality.

We made this happen:

We got word that the FCC is planning THE vote on new net neutrality rules on February 23rd. This is the one we’ve been waiting for. We’ve got less than two months before the decision.

Congress wants to negate everything we did:

Just when we have victory in sight, Congress is trying to pass a shady law called “Title X” that would undermine all the amazing work we’ve done. Basically it would pre-empt the FCC’s rule and prevent us from getting real net neutrality. Instead, we’d have a weak law in Congress that leaves the door wide open for monopolies like Comcast to abuse their power.

We need to act fast to show Congress that we see through the lies. We know they’re taking huge campaign contributions from companies like Comcast and we won’t be fooled.

Your signature is needed!

Click here to sign our urgent petition to Congress demanding they drop “Title X” and keep the Internet free.

There’s such overwhelming public support for the free and open Internet it shouldn’t be hard to defeat this, but we need to move fast.

Please sign and share the petition widely.

I encourage everyone to read up on this. Don't take my word for any of this but it is happening, it is real, and it affects the entire free thinking world. We can't stand by and let these ancient thinkers who were around when Morse code was still being used and a German UBoat with an Enigma Machine was high tech tell the world how the biggest thing in the 21st century needs to be ran. Buried somewhere in your news is how they plan to win. You'll find out about it when it's too late.

Done

Done Part Deux...

JANUARY 7, 2015

--UPDATE--

Congress is counting on us "the general public" to be uninformed and ignorant to what's going on so they can slide this by us just like everything they do. Congress believes ruling a nation is NOT for the "common people" and we're too stupid to know what's happening or even care. This has to stop and we need to all rally behind our belief of free and unhindered access to the internet. This may well be the biggest battle of our generation and they are trying to sweep it under the rug with procedure and laws to regulate something that's not theirs so they can fill their pockets with our money. End this now.

Congress is trying to kill all our hard to keep net neutrality! We need to speak up the time is now. Every second counts.

Click here to tell Congress not to kill net neutrality.

We made this happen:

We got word that the FCC is planning THE vote on new net neutrality rules on February 23rd. This is the one we’ve been waiting for. We’ve got less than two months before the decision.

Congress wants to negate everything we did:

Just when we have victory in sight, Congress is trying to pass a shady law called “Title X” that would undermine all the amazing work we’ve done. Basically it would pre-empt the FCC’s rule and prevent us from getting real net neutrality. Instead, we’d have a weak law in Congress that leaves the door wide open for monopolies like Comcast to abuse their power.

We need to act fast to show Congress that we see through the lies. We know they’re taking huge campaign contributions from companies like Comcast and we won’t be fooled.

Your signature is needed!

Click here to sign our urgent petition to Congress demanding they drop “Title X” and keep the Internet free.

There’s such overwhelming public support for the free and open Internet it shouldn’t be hard to defeat this, but we need to move fast.

Please sign and share the petition widely.

I encourage everyone to read up on this. Don't take my word for any of this but it is happening, it is real, and it affects the entire free thinking world. We can't stand by and let these ancient thinkers who were around when Morse code was still being used and a German UBoat with an Enigma Machine was high tech tell the world how the biggest thing in the 21st century needs to be ran. Buried somewhere in your news is how they plan to win. You'll find out about it when it's too late.

Done

Falcon