Folland Gnat F.1 cockpit

Folland Gnat F.1 cockpit

Mod description:

This is cockpit for Folland Gnat F.1 (early british*)

*note for The Scandinavian Front players: it differs very slightly from Finnish version as far as layout and labelling goes but nothing distracting

Installation:

You might want to backup Gnat.ini GNAT_COCKPIT.INI Gnat_DATA.INI files just in case.

To install extract the package (zip) to your Gnat folder, overwrite when asked.

License:

Fair use license apply. Feel free to tweak, adjust, reapint, recalibrate etc. Do not include as part of any payware.

Have fun

Stary

Brilliant as usual

Bravo!!! We much appreciate your beautiful and much needed cockpits...also helps to boost the series and keep it alive!

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Ordway as you are known in my book for pursuits of very realistic and faithful cockpits representations you might find my slight liberties I openly admit to a bit distracting but I hope it isn't anything biggish

Just downloaded this - very nice, thanks mate!

I particularly like the scuffed, well-used look, it looks very realistic.

Very nice.

I tested it on the Ajeet, but the plan eitself is highly unstable.

Thanks guys,

Ordway as you are known in my book for pursuits of very realistic and faithful cockpits representations you might find my slight liberties I openly admit to a bit distracting but I hope it isn't anything biggish

Yes, Ordway did a good job, and I still fly in his Ouragan's cockpit

both Ajeet and Gnat are very hard to keep steady flight in, soo prone to excessive rolls Jean

The first time I flew it, Ajeet my drawers because it was so unstable. :lol:

• Like 2

that was a good one Dave

both Ajeet and Gnat are very hard to keep steady flight in, soo prone to excessive rolls Jean

Yes, is this realistic ?

I don't think so

hard to say but these have been like this since I remember, too prone to that for sure

Thanks guys,

Are you kidding??!!! This is fantastic!!! All cockpits are much appreciated. You did a great job on it and weathering!  Make more and more!!! 

hard to say but these have been like this since I remember, too prone to that for sure

I agree it is hard to tell. One publication says that " the longitudinal instabilities did give rise to some concern and it had to be carefully handled." So some instability is probably warranted. http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/gnat/history.php. This would mean that the Gnat would tend to wander in pitch and be incredibly  sensitive in pitch to the slightest pitch movement or turbulence.

A flight report also stated that:"the response to ailerons was instant but the stick force is near zero. The ailerons are incredibly light and quick. It is difficult to avoid pushing or pulling on the stick because the force is so light." It sounds like the Gnat is almost a little hard to fly because it is so sensitive.   Flying Magazine October 1997.

Edited by ordway

This would mean that the Gnat would tend to wander in pitch and be incredibly  sensitive in pitch to the slightest pitch movement.

A flight report also stated that:"the response to ailerons was instant but the stick force is near zero. The ailerons are incredibly light and quick. It is difficult to avoid pushing or pulling on the stick because the force is so light." It sounds like the Gnat is almost a little hard to fly because it is so sensitive.   Flying Magazine October 1997.

One of the problems many problems that IAF pilots reported with the Gnat was trouble in maintaining pitch after landing gear was retracted. The Gnat was pretty much a Work in Progress when it entered IAF service, there were other handling issues, which lead to many fatal crashes.

As one of the IAF Gnat pilots quoted - "The Gnat was more like a spirited and young maiden and therefore, with a mind of its own. It had to be tamed and flown with a firm hand.The Gnat was a killer alright,a killer to its pilot if he does not know how to tame it and a killer to its enemy,if he did".

The Gnat is the strangest little jet I have ever seen. They had one at the Empire State Aerosciences Museum in Schenectady, NY. It might still be there. It was the only jet on site that I remember you could walk over to it and look down into the cockpit. It must have felt like being in a lawn chair with a jet engine strapped to your butt.