AAAAAH, found it. Any way you like, he said I think he's pretty clear as he talk clearly about exes, CAT files and dll. Man how I would love a avionics update!!

Imagen1_zps72f07cf0.jpg

yeah Stratos, that's the mail, I remember you posting it earlier

From TK's reply, perhaps we should define 'files'.

Well TK was not very clear in his statement there.

For me it sounds that we can work with lods etc. if we don´t redistribute his original files. 

Well seeing the part here "you're free to mod our games, any way you like, the only thing we ask is that you don't redistribute any of our original files" I think he authorizes ANY work on ANY of his files, exes, lods, dll, etc. But we don't have to share any of his works, I think is possible to create a way to mod his games further without redistribution. One Idea can be release patches that mod his original exes, this way we can mod SF further without redistributing any of his own files. For example, we create a avionics patch for SF2, we release the patch here BUT without the original game you cannot do nothing with it.

Well let me play a lil bit with my thoughts...

If we modify for example one ai aircraft lod we could share it here?

a sort off comunity patch as for the stock lods there nothingand mean nothing that says we cant make our onw models and replace Stock ones its just a matter off making that kind of effort

Daniel

Well there can be tools to edit models. But you can't put up the edited models for download. The tool itself can be freely shared. This is what he means I think.

However, such a tool doesn't exist yet afaik.

If, say one day, Mue's LODViewer becomes LODEditor, then that is such a tool.

As for exe hex editing and dll injecting, sounds more like dreamland to me. It is a nice thought but heh.

Anyway my 2c.

As for exe hex editing and dll injecting, sounds more like dreamland to me. It is a nice thought but heh.

some say one payware title/expansion now in development does work around certain limitations by doing exactly that, dll injections and pushes Do335

Well let me play a lil bit with my thoughts...

If we modify for example one ai aircraft lod we could share it here?

Shouldn't be possible to release a patch that modify that same LOD? This way we will not share any lod.

Well now that we have the email, that's a good start. Maybe we should be more specific in our questions to TK in what we can exactly do so there is no misinterpretation. To answer someone's question is yes to make patches like they do in Skyrim.

To answer someone's question is yes to make patches like they do in Skyrim.

And how those patches work? Can you explain please?

Just like any other patch, to fix any issues or to add content.

Just like any other patch, to fix any issues or to add content.

Then is what I have been thinking for SF2.

So many bugs to fix :

- AI not using extrnal ECM

- AI limitations for weapons use

some say one payware title/expansion now in development does work around certain limitations by doing exactly that, dll injections and pushes Do335

IIRC "Mlracing" had been doing that and posting screenies at SimHQ. It was called by many as unethical, immoral and piracy.

Now that a payware group uses it suddenly it is OK....

In light of TK's words and growing the SF community I guess one can ignore that (and myself agrees) as more content is always great. But even if the payware starts selling eventually I fail to see it generate enough effect on SF games as a whole other than making a small improvement within a niche of niche users.

The current situation as I see, you guys at CA is working towards all directions, the mods are numerous, but all scattered. As a result none generates enough community impact. In return new talent is scarce. The payware groups are just some guys that makes semi-decent stuff to take a few guys money. The users side they're mostly kids or very casual players that downloads a few mods and play for 5 minutes and then move on. All of this is too... "loose" and wouldn't go very far.

The way I see it, there needs to be a modders group which 1. has a substantial talent pool 2. is more united. Said group picks up the ball TK dropped and pushes this series further by releasing patches/mods under one name and supports the releases. I think this is the only way to make SF go further. Think BMS for Falcon4.0, TSH for Janes F18, Team Fusion for Il2Clod, AvHistory for CFS3 etc etc. Then hex editing, dlls and pushing TK to release source is on the table and will have some practical use.

I think combatace is a really nice platform and already has a stage for it. Question is will there be ppl to go for it. And for me it is the big question mark...

Excuse me for being blunt and the whole 20cents but it's an honest thought.

Edited by Do335
  • Like 1

for Skyrim the modders went 3 folde whit the patch one that fixes all the game bug that Bethesda dint even with the final patch the outer one was replacing stock body mesh armours textures etc finaly adding via script exentder and plugins more content and options.

for SF2 so if then i dont if it possible i dont know a thing about programing maybe a plugin to fix and add stuff to the DLLs maybe for the avionincs etc as for model i still best his to make new models ourselfs like the upcoming Floggers pleople would still need to buy the core content of the game but cloud fix add more stuff from here in free manner!

my two cents

IIRC "Mlracing" had been doing that and posting screenies at SimHQ. It was called by many as unethical, immoral and piracy.

In light of TK's words and growing the SF community I guess one can ignore that (and myself agrees) as more content is always great. But even if the payware starts selling eventually I fail to see it generate enough effect on SF games as a whole other than making a small improvement within a niche of niche users.

The current situation as I see, you guys at CA is working towards all directions, the mods are numerous, but all scattered. As a result none generates enough community impact. In return new talent is scarce. The payware groups are just some guys that makes semi-decent stuff to take a few guys money. The users side they're mostly kids or very casual players that downloads a few mods and play for 5 minutes and then move on. All of this is too... "loose" and wouldn't go very far.

The way I see it, there needs to be a modders group which 1. has a substantial talent pool 2. is more united. Said group picks up the ball TK dropped and pushes this series further by releasing patches/mods under one name and supports the releases. I think this is the only way to make SF go further. Think BMS for Falcon4.0, TSH for Janes F18, Team Fusion for Il2Clod, AvHistory for CFS3 etc etc. Then hex editing, dlls and pushing TK to release source is on the table and will have some practical use.

I think combatace is a really nice platform and already has a stage for it. Question is will there be ppl to go for it. And for me it is the big question mark...

Excuse me for being blunt and the whole 20cents but it's an honest thought.

if a group like his was  fromed you cloud count on my limited talents even if im not the more realible more modder around

• Like 1

The current situation as I see, you guys at CA is working towards all directions, the mods are numerous, but all scattered. As a result none generates enough community impact. In return new talent is scarce.

I can say that when I first found Combatace, what immediately drew me toward the downloads section was the full campaigns, such as Operation Desert Storm and Operation Darius. For two reasons:

1- The campaigns normally include lots of planes and missions tailored to them, so there is variety in play. And if you can be bothered with learning some file editing, you can add whatever planes the campaign doesn´t include. So these whole campaign packages are a fairly user-friendly way to get into the modding scene, a comfortable stepping stone toward more content.

2- Because they are put up as a whole package, you can normally expect everything within to work as it should, which is the main worry of anyone that´s already been working with mods for some time.

Despite the huge file sizes, I find campaigns simply the best, most straightforward way to get modding content for the game. I can´t speak for every single other player out there, but since it was mentioned that the content is so fragmented... perhaps putting together campaign packages would help create some community impact.

Also, more choppers, please!

Edited by Saavedra

Mlracing (he's not active in SF modding anymore) was able trough hex editing I think (kacking the exe for sure) to improve the avionics, here is his last mail with me.

And here the link to the videos, you can still check them.

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMzIwNzI4MDA0/v.swf
http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMjQ4NDA1NTI0/v.swf

Image1_zpsfe565982.jpg

Post 1982 planes will improve a lot with such a mod. And If we add A-A refueling, kaboom!

DO335 there is modders group. The Mod Mafia has been around for years. What you are seeing is individual projects. An example of the Mod Mafia at work is NATO Fighters, Desert Storm Mod to name a few. 

It would be no problem to get the Mod Mafia together and work towards making a patch for this game as we are most of us are here everyday. That's the easy part. The hard part is we need people with the know how and tools to do it. 

Despite the huge file sizes, I find campaigns simply the best, most straightforward way to get modding content for the game. I can´t speak for every single other player out there, but since it was mentioned that the content is so fragmented... perhaps putting together campaign packages would help create some community impact.

Also, more choppers, please!

They already create community impact. The download numbers speak for themselves. We already put together campaign packages so I am not sure what you mean here. 

I meant making more campaigns.

Ah ok, I'm tracking now. More are coming. We have quite a bit already too. 

Dave I obviously have no knowledge of CA's inner modders circle. When ppl think Strike Fighters, they relate to thirdwire and TK. There needs to be a time, when ppl think Strike Fighters, Mod Mafia is the name. I guess basically am saying modders unite. (Or at least go towards that as I know reality and humans are more complicated...)

Edited by Do335

Dave I obviously have no knowledge of CA's inner modders circle. When ppl think Strike Fighters, they relate to thirdwire and TK. There needs to be a time, when ppl think Strike Fighters, Mod Mafia is the name. I guess basically am saying modders unite. (Or at least go towards that as I know reality and humans are more complicated...)

Actually you are not that far of, when it comes to SF series people think CombatAce. We created it for the modders and the fans. So in a way we are united. 

• Like 2

look, I never understood back then the attacks on mlracing here, OK I did and it was because he was apparently from China -and that was shortly after Insky Group ban from here IIRC so the tension was high. I allways been seeing back then we are too harsh on the guy as I KNEW already day will come we'll need guys like him around.

As for the payware project I know the leader of this project has formal permission from TK to do so, simple.