Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

French markings question...

can anyone tell me the meaning and purpose of the underwing markings, the letters/numbers as seen on pretty much most AdA (and Vichy) figthers?

do they represent the squadron?, group? parking permit or ???? as each aircraft has an individual plane number on the tail or fuselage, what ARE these for???

TIA!

It might be the squadron tail code I'm not to sure.

I found this picture that could be a start of an explanation...

The underwings white code might be a military registration.

post-46431-0-48709000-1431593181_thumb.jpg

The tactical code of this particular aircraft is 2, and its serial number seems to be 846.

So each of this three numbers (registration under the wings, tactical code and serial number on the fuselage) should be different for each aircraft.

It should not be a squadron code.

(Edit for french readers : the picture is from a research for a particular plane, so "Le MS-406" should not be a generic way to talk about the model, but only one aircraft.)

Other examples

post-46431-0-11227300-1431594955_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cliff7600

Osprey "aircraft of the aces" no 28 shows on the color plates French planes with a serial number (3 digits) and a matricule militaire consisting of a letter and three digits different from the serial number, just like Cliff describes in the previous post.

From what I remember from a previous conversation here http://combatace.com/topic/20222-french-underwing-codes-1940/it's a military matriculation number, according to ErikGen. Unfortunately, the link given by christian59 just goes to the site main page now. Apparently, it's a French military acceptance number, but I haven't been able to find anything specific on how it was generated. Sorry.

Okay, someone please correct me if I'm mis-remembering this. The Letter code is a code letter for the French military establishment that accepted the aircraft into French service. The number following was the number in sequence that the aircraft was accepted by that facility, ie: 656 was the 656th aircraft accepted by that facility. This is part of it, at least.

Edited by Heck

well, I do know the numbers on the rudder (not just on the 406, but D.520, Hawk 75, etc) are the " manufacturer's production serial number" or into service accepetance number?

the letters, on some profiles and pictures I've seen, seem almost tied to the Group, with the letter designating Great War Aircraft? (N, S for Spa, L maybe for SAL??)

so, for example, if the number represents the 'serial' (like a post-war USAF buzz number), for GG I/7 (Spa 15) it should read

S1  23

??

this is all for just trying to make some better markings* (as no one else has), and to satisfy curiosity

* of course, that means MORE decal work, and having to make serials for the tail, with will need repainting then

edit:

heck, just checked the old link ... that main page for the site means it's closed. Sad; could have used the info there!

n.

Googling around I found matricules militaire as high as  "X" (a Potez 631) and "Y". I don't think there is a connection with either the type of plane (from either WWI or WWII) or the unit. There must be a different system but I can't figure out what. Perhaps someone who speaks French can google in that language.

Check in particular the remarks for plates 1, 2 and 25...

https://books.google.nl/books?id=eLjEOMNXP98C&lpg=PA93&ots=ybAyt8gQuL&dq=matricule%20militaire%20aeroplanes&hl=nl&pg=PA93#v=onepage&q=matricule%20militaire%20aeroplanes&f=false

Edited by claw

some ifno here

info even

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/11/stuff_eng_profile_h75.htm

this is about the curiss hawks in french AF

France adopted the manufacturer's number as the official serial number, so the aircraft of this series received Nos. 01 - 100.

also

The designation C1 was not a version number, but rather referred to configuration of the aircraft. All French fighters carried the C1 suffix, the "C" stating for Chasse (pursuit) and the 1 indicating a single-seater. However, the serial number below is most helpful for identifying the version of this particular aircraft. In this case, No. 202 reveals that this was the second production H-75A-3.

just an example from the link

Edited by russouk2004

that site was very helpful when I was doing the AdA Hawk 75s

looking at this whole thing, I think I'm just not going to worry about the under wing numbers. Make things a whole lot simpler in the long run.

I thank all of you for your knowledge and assistance!!! That's why I love this place!!