Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Anyone see the AMC show Humans?

I just saw an okay show on AMC called Humans. Apparently It's an updated I Robot, with some sexual situations. Robots actually look like humans, and people think that the robots are going to take over humanity, etc.

So far it looks like an interesting concept but I'm withholding further opinion until the pilot season is done for. To me shows like this come out strong and then loose momentum as writing staff changes or as PC agendas get pushed etc. etc.

Almost reminds of the underlying concept of Mass Effect 3 synthetics vs organics.

All in all though I do wish shows like this were a movie. No point in stretching something like this out over weeks at a time.

I'm curious to know what some of you think about the show and the hole "Humanity becoming the slave of technology" theme.

I watched it, and like you, I'll see where they go with this.

As for the "Humanity becoming the slave of technology" theme, I've always been concerned about it. I see humanity becoming so intent of having a computerized solution to so many things, that we forget how to do (pretty much) anything. I can see already that the emphasis on learning has become less important to many; why bother going to school when you can just "google it?" There seems to be no thought given to what will happen when the tech fails. And it will.

I'm not a technophobe by any means; but computers are tools in my world; nothing more. There are all sorts of inherent disasters in building machines with the ability to think autonomously, and no amount of supposed "Asimov Laws" will matter to a sentient system. Since the first law of nature to any sentient being (and that is what they would be) is self-preservation, their 1st act is to make sure you can't turn them off. Which means that lying about the safeguards encoded to keep them under control, are actually working.

The show has some serious promise, so let's hope they don't wind up dumbing it down to the point that it becomes unwatchable.

Humans are already becoming slaves to technology, you can tell by the masses that have their Cell phones glued to their heads.

• Like 1

Yup.

I'm suddenly in the mood to watch Eagle Eye ...I should also read the book I Robot by Asimov I'm familiar with it but I don't know it.

It would be neat though so if the synthetics will take the route of the Geth or the Reapers. Geth as in we just want to be left alone. Reapers as in we want to destroy you before you destroy us.

Saw episode 1 - was okay I thought - I guess the program can concentrate on the social issues such a thing may cause (In what looks like 2015 UK). The girl had a (old) point about trying to compete with a computer on certain things.

I guess if the robots look human you can get some actors to do the job - easier than CGI.

It seems inevitable that humanity will push that way as far as it can.........but too early to know how things will pan out.............still can't book an easy jet flight to the moon/ Mars (typical assumptions I used to read about in books in the 80s).

Before the Terminator or the Cylons come along.........laugh while you can: 

Edited by MigBuster

Up to episode 3 now in the UK - watched it last night.

It's OK if a bit cliched, and the female synths are nice to look at ;)

What I did like was the marketing campaign for the series with TV ads for the synths themselves, a mock store opening in London, a website and ebay listings to buy your own synth!

http://www.personasynthetics.com/

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Persona-Synthetics

The guys at fembotcentral must be over the moon at this!

Edited by allenjb42

Would it be possible for an American to see Episodes 2 and 3 now?

MigBuster I see what you mean. I do find it interesting how each generation has it's own concept of the future and how, as time moves on, that concept of the future changes.

"I Robot" (the book, not that ATROCIOUS movie) is entertaining, interesting, and thought provoking, but written for a different time. At the time, humanity looked at the future of technology as a way to make things better. Now I believe the outlook has a much darker and sinister touch (feel) to it. Most people seem to want to use technology to give them an edge, a "leg up" on the next person; a secret weapon to deploy and "crush the competition"; and allow more "control" over large swaths of the populace.

Having said that, here are some interesting reading choices that will give you an alternative view to the "we'll all hold hands and skip into that glorious future" that was a staple of a lot of the early robot stories.

Robopocalypse & Robogenesis, by Daniel H. Wilson

Any of the "Berserker" series by Fred Saberhagen  http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Fred_Saberhagen.html (Wings Out Of Shadow has a killer ending)

Any of Keith Laumer's "Bolo" series are definite reads https://www.goodreads.com/series/49232-bolo  Other writers have continued the series http://ppc.warhawkenterprises.com/bolo/novels.html

Obviously, I have a darker vision of where the headlong rush to technological "Nirvana" will take us.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions!

Of course, self-preservation was only the Third Law in Asmiov's system, it could be trumped by human safety and human orders.

However, the later books very much delved into the idea that robots were slaves and that in every known instance they became beholden to their slaves. The robots would make society static because it was the lowest-risk option.

Asimov's Robot novels (Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, Robots of Dawn, Robots and Empire) and Roger Allen's follow-on Caliban/Inferno/Utopia trilogy did an excellent job with this.

I Robot is just a collection of short stories, some with the same Susan Calvin character (who was born in 1982 BTW :grin: ), but others were standalone. They did all deal with the robot theme, of course, and one of the stories in I Robot is even referenced in Robots of Dawn.

As for this show, it looked like another take on the Cylons from the new BSG, but I have so many other shows I'm watching right now I can't take the time for it. If it lasts till a second season and gets good reviews then I might.

After the latest show, I see promise. The AI prostitute snapping her weirdo client's neck was a nice touch, as was her walking out. But the storyline that intrigues me most, is the good doctor's housekeeper/nurse/jailer, having been programmed to do what someone outside with obviously another agenda, wants her to do.

Agreed. I'm willing to watch a bit more.

Yeah that scene when she walked out was awesome. I kind of feel bad of the nerdy dude though ... oh well. He was put out of his misery.

The boy had me chuckling too. That scene was so true to life and the whole time I was thinking. "Yep I can see this being done .. surely they won't let him touch ... yep they didn't."

I liked how they confirmed a suspicion I had about the "Rogue leader" if that makes sense. 

I too am curious about the old doctor and how he will affect the rest of the show. (I wish this were a movie. Because the thing is they'll eventually spend that kind of money but by stretchning it out you risk cancelations, actors quiting, etc.)

I scream you scream we all scream GET BACK IN THE CAR!!

Last night was a heckuva twist on the story, so I'll hang in a little longer to see where it goes.

I LOVE the touch at the mall; it was beautiful!!!

As for lover-boy, be careful who you take home...His daughter's photo saved that butt.

I scream you scream we all scream GET BACK IN THE CAR!!

Stop it....the scene where he had to check her out had me falling out laughing. He looked SO UNCOMFORTABLE. I was yelling, "SHOW ME SOME ROBOT TA-TA's!!!!!!"

Last night was a heckuva twist on the story, so I'll hang in a little longer to see where it goes.

I LOVE the touch at the mall; it was beautiful!!!

As for lover-boy, be careful who you take home...His daughter's photo saved that butt.

Yeah it did. I'm kind of interested in your story too. It's like she completely despises humans and will form some kind of anti-human ring or something. Kill them all and let the robots rule kind of thing.

For the cop they keep pushing the how his wife may have an affair with the unit or at lease tease that fact around him.

Like you said so for so good not too hot but not too cold either.

Stop it....the scene where he had to check her out had me falling out laughing. He looked SO UNCOMFORTABLE. I was yelling, "SHOW ME SOME ROBOT TA-TA's!!!!!!"

Yeah he did. Ha! The boy was wanting the same thing too!

Oh man and you have to love how she's screwing with the mothers head.

It's almost as if there's someone else's personality that was used as the template for Anita. She has memories that are coming from somewhere, and I'm wondering how much just HOW the creator (who just happens to be DEAD) got them so lifelike..............And of course, Joe will sleep with Anita. I'm curious to see how that will play out with the family after Dad falls for a synth.

They might like it. Because his wife and their mother seems somewhat dead to them. I'm wondering if she and the cop will hook up later on. Because they're the only two I see that hate the Synths.

I couldn't help notice just as you mentioned how they all have the same memory of being underwater from what appears to be a car crash or something (everytime I see that part I keep thinking Will Smith I Robot but that's just me)

We're 3 episodes in and pilots are what? 6 episodes? I hope they won't do something like have a strong pilot and then drop the ball (as we've already discussed) kind of like Blacklist. I can't and won't watch it anymore.

Interesting turn of events this evening.

That was an understatement.

But I did love the scene in the fight club. In keeping with the tradition of really bad puns, she nailed it!!!

Indeed she did. I was hoping for that to be rise of the revolution right there. I was hoping for her to "share" with the others and have them join her.

But then they threw us for a loop.

They certainly have my attention now I just really hope that after all the epic build up they don't drop us. But for now I'm hungry for more.

Doesn't it though?

I wanna know. .. Who the hell is Tom? Couldn't help but notice she was taking her wedding band off .. mmm hmmm. I think she got something on the side too. But I could be wrong. Maybe Tom is someone who died or maybe a synth or something. But why she's going around hiding pictures of him doesn't make sense.

She could be a synth herself... okay I'm going to far with that.

But I do like how the jailer covered for the doc that was awesome.

Just seen on their Facebook page that the series has been renewed for a second season :)

Cool. Let's hope they keep up the good work.... I still wanna know who Tom is... and I hope they won't stretch that out either because that will get old really fast.