MigBuster

Those pesky Su-24s

STUTTGART, Germany (NNS) -- A United States Navy destroyer operating in international waters in the Baltic Sea experienced several close interactions by Russian aircraft April 11 and 12.

USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) encountered multiple, aggressive flight maneuvers by Russian aircraft that were performed within close proximity of the ship.

On April 11, Donald Cook was conducting deck landing drills with an allied military helicopter when two Russian SU-24 jets made numerous close-range and low altitude passes at approximately 3 p.m. local. One of the passes, which occurred while the allied helicopter was refueling on the deck of Donald Cook, was deemed unsafe by the ship's commanding officer. As a safety precaution, flight operations were suspended until the SU-24s departed the area.

...................................... http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=94170

Edited by MigBuster
  • Like 1

Nice one

I just do not understand why they do this ?

They do it to intimidate, and to judge reactions of any defence systems, I expect the SU's were filming everything......on top of that the Ruskies are crazy buggers, bless 'em.....you got to appreciate the sheer ballsyness and good flying though.

• Like 1

They do it to intimidate, and to judge reactions of any defence systems, I expect the SU's were filming everything......on top of that the Ruskies are crazy buggers, bless 'em.....you got to appreciate the sheer ballsyness and good flying though.

Reaction of defense system ?

The orders are clear usually : we shut down everything so that no electronic info can be passed

And as to intimidation the French Mirage III used to fly over the Russky at Mach 1+ and very low altitude : that was intimidation.

Here, it is just a friendly visit

Maybe the Su-24 pilot wanted to have fun ?

I stand corrected, not being au fait with Navy SOP's , as for Airforce Soviet ship buzzing, I think everyone does that, Brit French and US, so, I guess on reflection, these Russkies are just doing some of that pilot shit. speaking from a Grunts point of view, we had similar stuff in Germany in the cold war, with SOXMIS , soviet military mission , they used to watch us, but sometimes they got a little too adventurous, I seem to remember a particular Ex in Germany, when the Soxmis lads turned up, and started getting a little too close and personal, and we sent out to scorpions to see 'em off, it ended up with the 2 Scorpions, boxing the Soxmis Moskva in, one in front and one behind, with the 76mm's pointed in the window front and rear......in a non threatening way of course. The to crews were bollocked officially, but on the quiet given a pat on the back....oh how we laughed !!

I just do not understand why they do this ?

Because Pew-Pew-Putin has run out of bears to ride on and pose semi-nude.

It's all games - majorly to determine whose private parts are the longest.

Unsafe? Maybe - but given the latest series of Russia's air force's hot-recycling of airframes (they've got a pretty decent attrition-rate lately!), that might have been one of the safer missions for those Su-24 crews  :flyer:

The US sailors had fun too. Look into their faces. Like visitors on an airshow.

And by the way, what would US planes do, if a russian destroyer start sniffing less than 100 km in front of the american coast?

• Like 1

And by the way, what would US planes do, if a russian destroyer start sniffing less than 100 km in front of the american coast?

Not that way, as you said, it's just fun and possibly dangerous for the plane.

Usually, it is a low altitude high altitude high speed pass to break everybody's ears

Like the ones that go to Cuba? For 50 years?

Like the ones that go to Cuba? For 50 years?

That were no destroyers. It were cargo ships and submarines. And it were soviet, not russian. The bad guy Khrustchev, who put the missiles to Cuba, was not a bad russian, he was a bad ukrainian. The results of his stupid politics we have to cure up today (Crimea, Donezk).

Bu you are right. The behavior of the american pilots some 50 yeras ago was similar to the mock attacks of the russian pilots today. This are all young guys with big balls and the strong believe to be the best in the world. Its always the same. So no need to worry. Lean back and enjoy the show.

• Like 1

People are so sensitive these times.

That's what an F-8 on Alert Five did, when a russian trawler maneuvered to interfere with the carier's flight ops (taken from http://users.cloudnet.com/djohnson/records.htm ):

Cleanest Bomb Attack On Soviet Vessel - Med, about May 1967. 13 rolls toilet paper (unused) loaded into speed brake well (I liked that speed brake). Hard right off cat, gear up, opened boards over trawler maneuvering to force carrier to turn. No medal, but no hack either.