As proof of concept for creating arbitrary 3D mesh tod objects, I "converted and assembled" multiple lods (hangars that share the same texture) into a tod file.

The result:

It's time to start a new project: TOD Editor.

• Like 11

You will be my hero!!

Ditto, actually he is already an hero for all CombatACE modders, considering his valuable earlier tools. Mue, we can't thank you enough, things like this will surely keep SF alive and beautiful!  Keep up the good work!

• Like 6

Can a "Hit Box" be added to a new TOD that was converted from a .LOD? Maybe a way to make trees and other terrain objects crashable (is that a word?) obstacles. Mue I must say you have done incredible things making these programs. They are great. If you can figure a way to create, or even manipulate existing, .TOD's would be exponential for tile building. I for one thank you for your efforts. Keep up the good work.

I'm curious as to how it would work.  When placing TOD objects in the TE via the dialog window, it not only generates the TOD for the named tile, but a *name-of-tile" ini, where the locations (x/y) of the solid and alpha objects are listed. Then, writes to the data ini which to use (one, both or none)

------------------------------

"destroyable" or Collidable might be the words.

I don't think this engine is capable of doing that.. TOD objects aren't actually "there" via things like the terrain's types ini, that sets values and damage points, even collision meshe statements for buildings (hangars, warehouses, bridges, etc) that have them

but if it was.....NOW that would be somethin

• Like 1

A TOD Editor would be a great addition to SF and FE. I agree that your other tools have been a real asset to modders. Thanks for your efforts.

I'm curious as to how it would work.  When placing TOD objects in the TE via the dialog window, it not only generates the TOD for the named tile, but a *name-of-tile" ini, where the locations (x/y) of the solid and alpha objects are listed. Then, writes to the data ini which to use (one, both or none)

The game engine only needs the tod file and in the <terrain>_data.ini the texture (atlas) for solid / alpha objects must be set.

The <name of tile>.ini are only needed by the TE.

"destroyable" or Collidable might be the words.

I don't think this engine is capable of doing that.. TOD objects aren't actually "there" via things like the terrain's types ini, that sets values and damage points, even collision meshe statements for buildings (hangars, warehouses, bridges, etc) that have them

That's correct. TOD objects are non-collidable and there is nothing I can do about it

ok, now I see! thanks mue. I know that one can copy/paste a tod ini from TE to TE and it'll generate the solid and alpha objects (provided you don't exceed a certain number of them in the "desert" style TE. The WoE version, not only has a higher zoom level for placement, but allows more objects. The exact numbers escape me atm)

Another Tool We've needed for a LOOOOONG Time!  I'll take a Copy and use it for sure. Any Tool to make life easier is more than welcomed in My Book. Thanks for all Your Efforts in this Area Mue....... You're making SF2 Life much easier and more Fun.... Thanx!

PS    I can hear Stary right now......"Dude, Where You been with that!".....lol

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee
  • Like 2

Excuse my ignorance regarding TODS, but is possible to add TODS to certain locations only, or the TODS will appear on all the same tiles? I will put an example, Imagine I want to add certain buildings to a factory, I don't need them to be destroyable or targetable so they can be TODS, but will those appear only on the factory I need them or will appear on all the rest of the map on the factory tile?

They will appear on all the rest of the map with a factory tile.

Then guys when you told me to add trees troguht TOD method what was the purpose? I would have seen trees correctly placed on a runway, but in the middle of a different one as all runways share same tile. Right?

Then guys when you told me to add trees troguht TOD method what was the purpose? I would have seen trees correctly placed on a runway, but in the middle of a different one as all runways share same tile. Right?

It depends on where you are placing the TODs on how the tile is , and on how the base shape and position is.

which is WHY one uses "special" airfield only tiles that are clear where the runway will be. Just look at any of my terrains, and you'll see how it's done

which is WHY one uses "special" airfield only tiles that are clear where the runway will be. Just look at any of my terrains, and you'll see how it's done

Ok, I see it now. Clever method.

dude you did it!

Ok, so to clarify some things: the trees would STILL be best placed via TE as that allows (combined with Moffiki Autoclicker!) well over 1000 trees per tile -been there done that. In case Mue would give us editor to copypaste rotate and merge full chunks of objects, no issue there. Also we could have better trees that way.

Sadly, I am pretty sure collidable TODs -or more importantly level of detail- are beyond our possibilities without the code rewrites.

Custom 3D TODs (something I was whining about since 2008) would be excellent to populate city tiles with user made blocks of buildings -remember how I did Green Hell large "buildings" that were in fact whole cityblocks? I did so back then as I was pretty (wrongly) sure we'll have custom TODs added by The Man in Series 2 -ohh well... naive me

I wonder how the technical side is done -Mue seeing as this is my hangars there, you did so with raw Max files or LOD ones? I take some translator you developed to output vertex positions and atlas mapping was used. I also think the basic diffuse is possible but no extra opacity, specular or self illumination?

One more thing re trees on runway- this is indeed due to some runways being placed on transitional tiles -say grass to fields or grass to forests ones- where the trees spawn on runways/aprons/whathaveyou LOD meshes -the simpler way would be to move whole airbase by coulpe hundred meters -something I have yet to do for JRL's TSF2 mega terrain overhaul but lack the time due to RL work.

Kevin's airbase specific tiles are good option to a degree as these on the other hand leave a bit too much of empty extra space around bases to my own aesthetics ofc. And yes the ini files are for TEW usage only -BUT can be swapped, copypased etc to speed up the TODs development to a degree as I have done many a times

I wonder how the technical side is done -Mue seeing as this is my hangars there, you did so with raw Max files or LOD ones? I take some translator you developed to output vertex positions and atlas mapping was used. I also think the basic diffuse is possible but no extra opacity, specular or self illumination?

I used the lod files and converted them into a tod file. The tod file only contains vertex position, normals and texture coordinates. No additional material properties (opacity, specular or self illumination) can be defined in the tod file :sad:. For this test I didn't do any atlas mapping since I only used objects (your hangars) that used the same texture.

Hadn't big hopes for something more complex than diffuse so yeah understood. Atlasing is fine as it is the most elegant way to keep texture data and something I had to learn myself.

So in this example it's obviously more than one LOD object per tile which means you have sort of placement tool already made that reads LOD format (no suprise given you know the format better than anyone here) and can output it to TOD as per your placing.

Neat already even if some more user friendly tool is thing of the future Mue :clapping: