Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Graphics card crashed my PC. Lost a .TFD

So my graphics card, an Nvidia GTX460, crashed last week. Don't know why but I think it kept over heating. Been hot in my house for a few weeks now. Anyway that's not the part that's making me want to throw up. The part that is making me want to throw up is the only files that are missing after my PC crashed is my Verdun.HFD and Verdun.TFD !!! Yes the ones I've been working on for the last couple of years for my custom Verdun terrain!  Nothing else is missing, that I've noticed anyway. Out of all the files on my PC these are the only two affected by the great crash of 2016. And the kicker is the System Restore wont let me go back before the crash. For those of you that know about terrain building you know why I want to throw up. If you all saw the tile work I did on my Verdun terrain and Height field alterations you would want to throw up too. How the hell were those two files the only ones deleted because of a bad graphics card?????

998 TargetAera's and 213 Tiles. Bye bye. Holly Cow!

Sorry to hear you lost so much work.

I don't know why graphics problems cause lost files but I lost tons of my .bmp Strike Fighters texture files a couple years back because of graphics problems.  They were the only files affected.

You might want to try the free Piriform recovery program, RECUVA from the makers of CCLEANER.  It's a bit difficult to navigate but it's saved some of my lost files in the past.

http://www.piriform.com/

Good luck.

is this in the in-game terrain folder, or the terrain editor's Verdun folder, or both?? 

If the game one is gone, there is a (slight) possibility they still exist within your terrain editor. Hopefully, you were using the 3W TE, and not any of the other tools, that don't save backups

I've absou-frakking-lutely KNOW what that feels like, if any does, it's me!!

sad news Quack :sad:

friend old GF560 Ti few months ago on the other system due to dust accumulation

As for the terrain files, that is peculiar... but having backups would help alot

Sorry to hear that, Quack.  Hope you can recover all your lost work.

Tried Recuva. So far the only .TFD and .HFD files it found were unrecoverable.

Awesome

Edited by quack74

Recuva has a deepscan option. Try that. Moreover, it would be helpful if since after the crash you did not do any major file transfers to the drive or move data around on the drive, such as in the case of defragmentation, which tends to overwrite free space, previously occupied with deleted files, with new files, so as to compact the data; the terminal step after defragmentation; anyways if either of the two - file transfer/defragmentation was not performed then perhaps there is hope. Also try restoring deleted files to separate (external drive) and not on the same drive from which you lost your data. I really do hope you manage to recover some if not all of your data