Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

BE 2c and BE 2e upgraded

A few weeks ago Mike Dora contacted me about a problem with the gunner in the RAF BE 2c. I looked into it and discovered some problems with the LODs and with model node names in the FM. I made some corrections, he did some testing and we worked out a solution. (His discussion about Aim Offset Parameters was related to that.)

Since I was making changes anyway, Ii improved the skins a little and incorporated the hit box corrections that Nicholas Bell provided some time ago.

Last night I uploaded new versions of the RAF BE 2c and 2e. The new versions have a much improved gunner, better skins and correct hit box coordinates. I replaced the old versions rather than make a new upload, so they're buried in the downloads section:

• Like 10

Thank you for the improvements on both of these models, Stephen1918.  As several of the multi-engine models that I normally fly or fly against don't currently have the benefit of your "new and improved" gunner, how difficult would it be to retrofit these?  Is this a simple "copy and paste" of the data.ini's GUNNER_STATION and FLEXIBLE_GUN modules or are the required line/parameter changes more complicated and extensive?     

• Like 1

Should be easy enough to retrofit this if you wish gents. The relevant entries under [Gunner] in your data inis to tweak are:

PitchAngleRate

MaxPitch

MinPitch

DefaultPitchAngle

YawAngleRate

MaxYaw

MinYaw

DefaultYawAngle

For the rifle-armed observers that I'm fitting onto some of the early types (for a ver. 8.9 FM update), I've found that it's good enough simply to tweak the max and min pitch values, for realistic clearance for shots (to account for top wings, limitations of observer movement, etc.).

Also, don't forget to set your GunnerAimOffset value under the [AIData] section either to 0.07 or 0.08, as per this thread/post:

http://combatace.com/topic/90596-gunneraimoffset-ai-parameter/?p=732495

Haven't bothered with testing the new offset values for the rifle-armed observers since they seem too accurate as is, often holing your fuel tank if you come up very close behind  :biggrin: , but the new offsets should help with machine-gun armed observer accuracy.

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 2

Tweaking with the GunnerFireChance= under the AI section is also good.

• Like 3

For historical realism (and to keep the game challenging) you probably don't want to make the gunner too accurate.

Changing the the Pitch and Yaw values will affect how the gunner moves. If you have a guy whose feet are poking through the fuselage sometimes, then change the min and max numbers (these are measured in degrees) Changing the angle rate will determine how fast the gunner moves. He'll be able to track an enemy plane better if he moves faster, but this can get unrealistic because the guns were moved by muscle power alone and probably couldn't rotate very fast. 

Changing the Aim Offset and Gun Fire Chance will affect how accurate the gunner is. I don't know how much you want to distort the game, but the gun data ini has settings for accuracy, most guns seem to be set to 70, but some are lower.

• Like 3

Thanks for the update Steve, much appreciated!   :good: 

Best regards :bye:

vonOben

• Like 1