Hauksbee

Albatros windscreen question...

What's the hole for in the Albatros windscreen? It seems I knew, once upon a day, but it's completely slipped away.

ALBATROS WINDSCREEN.jpg

To aim the gun through the glass in case of staining...

Indeed - a minor hit on the engine could cause oil sputtering, and you cannot

wipe that off; you will cause a blurry smear film, which allows no good aiming.

As any ROF pilot knows so well!

As any ROF pilot knows so well!

Not me :biggrin: -  I find I'm generally looking over the top of the (smaller? Higher stock eyepoint?) RoF Albatros windshield - D.III OAW illustrated, prior to narrowly missing departing Tripehound wings 'n things on a recent PWCG campaign outing...

2017_5_13__13_31_26.jpg

...though I'd forgotten the same sim's D.V version was a lot bigger, been a while...

2013_7_7__12_20_4.jpg

That "wings-coming-off" thing is totally overdone in RoF.

Agreed! By how much is hard to say, though. I just spent a few minutes in a 2nd hand bookshop browsing 'Letters of a Flying Officer' published in 1928 and of the three or four combat accounts I speed-read. one had an Albatros (sorry!) whose left upper wing folded back and sheared off after an attack.

What is WILDLY overdone in RoF is the common disappearance, generally from battle damage, of the complete set of Albatros interplane bracing wires, often on both sides simultaneously, which affects both the V-strutted versions. From this...

2017_5_25__20_49_54.jpg

...to this...

2013_7_7__12_16_37.jpg

- in a heartbeat. Kind of counter-immersive, even if it is a visible warning to go easy (you'll have noticed the R.E.8 about to...you guessed, shed a wing).

+1

Don't tell them that. Nobody over there likes to have stuff like that brought up.   And to their point, 777 has zero plans to do anything about it anyway, so why bother.

Don't tell them that. Nobody over there likes to have stuff like that brought up.   And to their point, 777 has zero plans to do anything about it anyway, so why bother.

Is it possible to access the Damage Model Folder, as we do in WOFF and change things?

Is it possible to access the Damage Model Folder, as we do in WOFF and change things?

It is not.  777 is still using a modified variant of the Digital Nature engine to produce it's WWII sims, so they have no interest in opening the source code to things like Damage Models, Flight Models or the 'Split S to the ground and then circle slowly' AI.   That sim is caught between a rock and a hard place.  Plenty of folks would like to improve it but can't and those that can improve it don't even bother paying attention to the official RoF forums anymore, let alone the sim itself.     Classic Scylla and Charybdis.  

Even the carreer mode is closed. Still think if they open this for an dedicated modders it could even be better then Woff own campaign mode.

At one point in time we opened a dialogue as well, given the amount of modders hanging around, and what we thought was a perfect fit like pepperoni and cheese turned out more like peanut butter and Brussels sprouts. 

Nothing ... I extended an offer and discovered that open source development or modding wasn't something of interest at the time.

Later, there was some modding done. Human beings, Erik - unpredictable we often are (except for the dead-certain ones, like when you call "free beer for all!" from an open pub door). :drinks:

Nothing ... I extended an offer and discovered that open source development or modding wasn't something of interest at the time.

I think WoFF is a perfect sample on what modders can achieve to a game, starting from some additional CFS3 WW1 planes to Woff UE. Same we see in IL2-1946, Clod-TF or what happen to RB3d.

Even the carreer mode is closed. Still think if they open this for an dedicated modders it could even be better then Woff own campaign mode.

The PWCG single player campaign mod Is very good but I think Pat has said he's happy with where it is right now, so no publicly announced planned changes for the future at this time.  That doesn't mean he wont ever touch it again.  

Its a big world and anything can happen, but given that the last WWI flight sim Kickstarter of Red Baron crashed and burned (for good reason) and both of the remaining WWI flight sim dev teams have now switched their focus to WWII flight sims, it seems unlikely anyone is going to do anything significant with WWI for awhile (in terms of historically accurate flight sims).  The interest and money just doesn't seem to be there.   Yes, Battlefield 1 is WWI themed and has planes but I doubt anyone in their right mind would call it an historically accurate flight sim.    My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the next significant update to a WWI flight sim will be if OBD ports the improvements for WOTR back to WOFF UE.    Of course there was great hope for that happening with 777 studios porting their WWII stuff back into RoF and that never happened.   I have no doubt that OBD has the PASSION to do that, but there still needs to be money to make it happen.  One can only hope.

I'm guessing when it comes to single player, historically accurate WWI flight sims, some version of WOFF UE will probably hold the crown for a very long time and RoF will hold the crown for WWI MP.    I just haven't heard of anything else being developed.  Has anyone else?

Edited by Hellshade

The PWCG single player campaign mod is very good...

Hellshade, can you guide me to the latest or best version of it, incl. GUI ?

I liked to make small missions to fly with friends, but somehow lost touch with Pat's development.

Hellshade, can you guide me to the latest or best version of it, incl. GUI ?

I liked to make small missions to fly with friends, but somehow lost touch with Pat's development.

What you need should all be right here sir.  I believe the GUI is now included.

http://www.pwcampaignmanager.com/pwcg/web/PWCGRoF.php

http://www.pwcampaignmanager.com/pwcg/web/PWCGRoF.php

Edited by Hellshade

Thanks a lot, Hellshade!

I guess you accidently double-posted the link - or is there a difference between the two?

How is life by the Gulf of Mexico?

Thanks a lot, Hellshade!

I guess you accidently double-posted the link - or is there a difference between the two?

How is life by the Gulf of Mexico?

I don't know why it double posted it.  Every time I copied and pasted the link, it double posted it.  Very strange.

Life is very good here by the Gulf of Mexico.  I have gotten involved in a very fun Dungeons and Dragons table top campaign.  We have lots of miniatures and a Dungeon Master with a wonderful sense of creativity.  Even my girlfriend plays and enjoys it!

I have also been using JJJs Roll Mod 2.0 which works for most early and 1917 aircraft.  Have you tried it yet on a test pilot?  It is truly a wonderful experience. 

I have also been using JJJs Roll Mod 2.0 which works for most early and 1917 aircraft.  Have you tried it yet on a test pilot?

To be honest, I haven't touched WOFF since a long time.

Haven't even bought me the "Ultimate Edition" yet, Hellshade.

I was busy sailing in the Caribbean Sea, in NAVAL ACTION, an ALPHA version of an age-of-sail game.

I hope one day the urge for WW1 flying will return to me.

What does the "roll mod" do? Does it improve the roll rate or behavior of the aircraft?

To be honest, I haven't touched WOFF since a long time.

Haven't even bought me the "Ultimate Edition" yet, Hellshade.

I was busy sailing in the Caribbean Sea, in NAVAL ACTION, an ALPHA version of an age-of-sail game.

I hope one day the urge for WW1 flying will return to me.

What does the "roll mod" do? Does it improve the roll rate or behavior of the aircraft?

Hard to believe you have not been in an Alb since a long time!  The Ultimate Edition is quite a treat, too.

Anyway, the mod adds roll effect to the flight model during heavy turbulent weather conditions.   During no and light conditions its not noticeable.  Medium it shows a little and heavy it is more pronounced.    You can see an example in this N17 video as we are circling up to altitude on a rough day,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sT9wJqNugs