Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Erik

      2022 Support Drive   09/01/2022

      Our support drive for 2022 has kicked off. You can find out more about it here: Please Donate or Subscribe

Recommended Posts


The DCS F/A-18C Hornet has impressed me enough that I have considered ditching my quasi-F-4 home cockpit for a decent Hornet pit suitable for both VR and conventional monitor/TrackIR flying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that freakin centerline tank was there, it must stall while maneuvering like this

he really hates it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That dirty roll at the start ... went from good to bad to ugly ... but nice recovery. Great video (reminds me of me flying the Huey...freaking transitions)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cosmoseed said:

that freakin centerline tank was there, it must stall while maneuvering like this

he really hates it

 

I normally fly the F-15 with two gas bags at all times, so use to the eagle's power and Pratt & Whitney getting me out of trouble. I know the hornet can also exceed 1:1 in certain regimes, but I guess I lucked out on that occasion.

 

9 hours ago, Skyviper said:

That dirty roll at the start ... went from good to bad to ugly ... but nice recovery. Great video (reminds me of me flying the Huey...freaking transitions)

This module's controls are far more responsive than I was expecting, I was trying to avoid pancaking myself on the ground :-D .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first modern fighter jet I have flown that performs better the slower you go. The Hornet has such a low max g limit that you have to get under 300 kias to do well against a the DCS AI MiG-21bis. It is like walking a tightrope... I either have too much energy and have to chop the throttle or have bled too much and have to go afterburner and unload to recover. But when you find that sweet spot with the speed, throttle, and AoA at optimum position, she pitches/turns like no other supersonic jet I have ever flown in a PC simulator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 11:05 PM, streakeagle said:

This is the first modern fighter jet I have flown that performs better the slower you go. The Hornet has such a low max g limit that you have to get under 300 kias to do well against a the DCS AI MiG-21bis. It is like walking a tightrope... I either have too much energy and have to chop the throttle or have bled too much and have to go afterburner and unload to recover. But when you find that sweet spot with the speed, throttle, and AoA at optimum position, she pitches/turns like no other supersonic jet I have ever flown in a PC simulator.

That was one of my first flights using the weekend trial, for a flight model I must say that ED really polished this one usually their stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm still not going to purchase just yet though, as I prefer to have A/G and optical sensors working.

I guess my time playing F/A-18 3.0 and Janes F-18E made it pretty easy to hop into and fly, everything seemed pretty familiar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I can't wait for HeatBlur's Turkey, I have absolutely been considering picking up the F/A-18; I'm just not ready to drop $70 on a Beta.  I'm hoping it goes gold sometime soon.  Certainly looks fun - that alpha towards the end...:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hornet is bad ass to fly. I will get really into it when they are done with it and I get my new rig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I bought the Hornet.  Pretty easy to jump into just to fly, I'll say that!  Doing the slow-speed Blue Angles pass (~50 units AOA, ~70 knots IAS) was pretty awesome.  On the other hand, to actually fight in it, holy geez I need to do a lot of control mapping!  Fortunately, Sidewinder/GUN/Shoot are easy enough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..