The DCS F/A-18C Hornet has impressed me enough that I have considered ditching my quasi-F-4 home cockpit for a decent Hornet pit suitable for both VR and conventional monitor/TrackIR flying.

that freakin centerline tank was there, it must stall while maneuvering like this

he really hates it

That dirty roll at the start ... went from good to bad to ugly ... but nice recovery. Great video (reminds me of me flying the Huey...freaking transitions)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cosmoseed said:

that freakin centerline tank was there, it must stall while maneuvering like this

he really hates it

I normally fly the F-15 with two gas bags at all times, so use to the eagle's power and Pratt & Whitney getting me out of trouble. I know the hornet can also exceed 1:1 in certain regimes, but I guess I lucked out on that occasion.

9 hours ago, Skyviper said:

That dirty roll at the start ... went from good to bad to ugly ... but nice recovery. Great video (reminds me of me flying the Huey...freaking transitions)

This module's controls are far more responsive than I was expecting, I was trying to avoid pancaking myself on the ground :-D .

• Like 1

This is the first modern fighter jet I have flown that performs better the slower you go. The Hornet has such a low max g limit that you have to get under 300 kias to do well against a the DCS AI MiG-21bis. It is like walking a tightrope... I either have too much energy and have to chop the throttle or have bled too much and have to go afterburner and unload to recover. But when you find that sweet spot with the speed, throttle, and AoA at optimum position, she pitches/turns like no other supersonic jet I have ever flown in a PC simulator.

On 10/1/2018 at 11:05 PM, streakeagle said:

This is the first modern fighter jet I have flown that performs better the slower you go. The Hornet has such a low max g limit that you have to get under 300 kias to do well against a the DCS AI MiG-21bis. It is like walking a tightrope... I either have too much energy and have to chop the throttle or have bled too much and have to go afterburner and unload to recover. But when you find that sweet spot with the speed, throttle, and AoA at optimum position, she pitches/turns like no other supersonic jet I have ever flown in a PC simulator.

That was one of my first flights using the weekend trial, for a flight model I must say that ED really polished this one usually their stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm still not going to purchase just yet though, as I prefer to have A/G and optical sensors working.

I guess my time playing F/A-18 3.0 and Janes F-18E made it pretty easy to hop into and fly, everything seemed pretty familiar.

While I can't wait for HeatBlur's Turkey, I have absolutely been considering picking up the F/A-18; I'm just not ready to drop $70 on a Beta.  I'm hoping it goes gold sometime soon.  Certainly looks fun - that alpha towards the end...:blink:

The Hornet is bad ass to fly. I will get really into it when they are done with it and I get my new rig. 

Well, I bought the Hornet.  Pretty easy to jump into just to fly, I'll say that!  Doing the slow-speed Blue Angles pass (~50 units AOA, ~70 knots IAS) was pretty awesome.  On the other hand, to actually fight in it, holy geez I need to do a lot of control mapping!  Fortunately, Sidewinder/GUN/Shoot are easy enough!