Jump to content

Recommended Posts


My FE2 runs fine on Windows 10 64-bit.

My FE1 also runs on Windows 10 64-bit with a few additional apps.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is an answer to a different question, but varied reports seem to indicate that, unsurprisingly, Windows 10 is not as welcoming to certain older flight sims as Windows 7. BoBII and EAW are prime examples.

On the other hand, it is more likely to be conducive to newer ones.

The TK ones seem to be in the neutral camp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about IL-2 1946 does this run on Windows 10 ????

I may need to move to Windows 10 in the next year or so when I decide to upgrade my rig with new hardware, and I am thinking  it might  be a good thing to do it all in one go. 

Heard so many different stories about IL-2 1946 not working on Windows 10, yet some say it runs okay. 

Can anybody clarify this issue. !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rusty, I don't have Win 10, but I have heard of few people having difficulty with it and IL-2 1946. Other older games seem to have various incompatibilities.

Perhaps you should look through 33Lima's recent reviews of BoBII. Not only are they very entertaining in themselves, but he describes how he installed a seperate Win 7 boot into his Win 10 pc at very little cost, enabling him to have the best of both worlds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just moved to Windows 10 and I have some older games (old friends) installed and running OK CFS2 and Crimson Skies the first game I had on a PC AND il2 with HFX runs OK may I add I do not run these game much but do like to know they are there. 

When I get time I will try Janes WW2 (in my opinion one of the best WW2 of all time given when it was made).

Windows 10 just great after running Windows 7 for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I put it off for so long and took the plung only had it for some two weeks it works so much better than W7.

The plus side is it is for the future, you will think it is just a revamped Windows 7. 

One thing I would say is DO back up your W7 stuff, Windows 10 will install and leave your Windows 7 and call if Windows 7 old.

I could go on for ever in a nutshell I do not regret going to Windows 10. One last thing if I can live with it and work it ok and I am in my mid 70s any one can.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, don246 said:

Well FE2 will not run on my Windows 10 64bit tried all I know, so good night to FE2 it was nice to have known you.

Runs fine in my 64bit Win10 install - I'm running the Oct. 2018 update of Win10. I recommend placing the dx9 driver (from the ENB website, generic version 0.0076, directly inside the FE2 game folder...has done wonders for the frame rates on my FE2 install on the Windows side, and also in WineSkin on the Mac side)....the driver is available in my FM update pack but can also be downloaded from the ENB website...link to the generic dx9 driver follows below:

http://enbdev.com/download_mod_generic.htm

Hope you're able to get FE2 running again.

Von S :flyer:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, don246 said:

Have FE2 running seems ok now just have the STD no mods yet thank VonS. 

That's good news - if some instability remains, the old advice always works well - re-install FE2 to get it to stock settings, and if all goes well on a stock re-install, run FE2 at least once and it should automatically make a folder under the appropriate mod directory (in Windows it's Saved Games, on the Mac side it's generated in the Documents folder). If no mod folder is created, just move over your previously modded one but make sure to follow the appropriate names and folder hierarchy structures.

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Fixed typos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VonS said:

That's good news - if some instability remains, the old advice always works well - re-install FE2 to get it to stock settings, and if all goes well on a stock re-install, run FE2 at least once and it should automatically make a folder under the appropriate mod directory (in Windows it's Saved Games, on the Mac side it's generated in the Documents folder). If no mod folder is created, just move over your previously modded one but make sure to follow the appropriate names and folder hierarchy structures.

Von S :smile:

I have moved over the save games fe2 from my old install that I saved while running Windows 7 in the Windows 10 save games /FE2 folder and works just great, thank you again for your help.

For anyone reading this and are contemplating moving to Windows 10 in my opinion it is better than my old Windows 7 and I never thought I would say that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/02/2019 at 5:13 AM, VonS said:

Runs fine in my 64bit Win10 install - I'm running the Oct. 2018 update of Win10. I recommend placing the dx9 driver (from the ENB website, generic version 0.0076, directly inside the FE2 game folder...has done wonders for the frame rates on my FE2 install on the Windows side, and also in WineSkin on the Mac side)....the driver is available in my FM update pack but can also be downloaded from the ENB website...link to the generic dx9 driver follows below:

http://enbdev.com/download_mod_generic.htm

Hope you're able to get FE2 running again.

Von S :flyer:

You sir is God, Before finding this FE2 ran like at 1fps now it runs really smoothly, many thanks 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnLewis141997 said:

...FE2 ran like at 1fps now it runs really smoothly, many thanks 

Glad the info. was helpful, a similar procedure is good to apply, if necessary, to SF2 too - although it might not be necessary for SF2. Also, if having other trouble with FE2 on Win10, I recommend running it (and SF2) in Win7 compatibility mode.

Happy flying,

Von S :buba:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VonS said:

Glad the info. was helpful, a similar procedure is good to apply, if necessary, to SF2 too - although it might not be necessary for SF2. Also, if having other trouble with FE2 on Win10, I recommend running it (and SF2) in Win7 compatibility mode.

Happy flying,

Von S :buba:

Strike Fighters 2 runs smoothly on it's own, just don't Force DX9. Too bad Windows 7 is going to be dead soon. I'm running on Win 10 but I preferred Win 7. With this driver does it work with any other games I've tried it on SF Project as a try but doesn't work. First Eagles 2 is so much fun now that can play it I don't how can thank you enough

.

Edited by JohnLewis141997
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-10-27 at 11:54 AM, JohnLewis141997 said:

Strike Fighters 2 runs smoothly on it's own, just don't Force DX9. Too bad Windows 7 is going to be dead soon. I'm running on Win 10 but I preferred Win 7. With this driver does it work with any other games I've tried it on SF Project as a try but doesn't work. First Eagles 2 is so much fun now that can play it I don't how can thank you any more.

Yes Win7 is probably the high point of Windows, I'm keeping a copy of Win7 Ultimate Edition around if I really need it. Install updates slowly in Win10 and it shouldn't break too many things with games and sims. Haven't tested the ENB dx9 extension with other sims but I will try it out with Wings Over Flanders Fields - will be interesting to see if it improves frame rates there too. Might also test it with Rise of Flight - since that sim uses dx9 too.

EDIT: ENB dx9 extension does not work well with WOFFue, gives corrupt landscape textures and lowers framerates - best is to use the standard dx9 dll that comes with WOFFue. Didn't bother testing with ROFue since it probably wouldn't be of any benefit.

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reinstalled FE and expansion pack,added the last patch...game runs black screen and music...last time it ran ok on my win 10 Pro 64...any ideas ?...TIA

Disregard...just redownloaded FE2 and now works...forgot I had FE2 lolz...   <NOOOOOB

also...seems unlimited effects is fine on nvidia latest drivers in FE2  ..........super

Edited by russouk2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2019 at 11:06 PM, VonS said:

Yes Win7 is probably the high point of Windows, I'm keeping a copy of Win7 Ultimate Edition around if I really need it. Install updates slowly in Win10 and it shouldn't break too many things with games and sims. Haven't tested the ENB dx9 extension with other sims but I will try it out with Wings Over Flanders Fields - will be interesting to see if it improves frame rates there too. Might also test it with Rise of Flight - since that sim uses dx9 too.

EDIT: ENB dx9 extension does not work well with WOFFue, gives corrupt landscape textures and lowers framerates - best is to use the standard dx9 dll that comes with WOFFue. Didn't bother testing with ROFue since it probably wouldn't be of any benefit.

Von S :smile:

I got Windows 7 Home Premium, I've installed FE and SFP 1 they run well on 7 without the ENB Generic, so I might stay on 7 but being cautious doing so. Windows 10 is just a mess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 2:44 PM, JohnLewis141997 said:

I got Windows 7 Home Premium, I've installed FE and SFP 1 they run well on 7 without the ENB Generic, so I might stay on 7 but being cautious doing so. Windows 10 is just a mess 

Yes, even though I'm a Mac guy, I have a soft spot for Win7 (Ultimate ed. in my case) - smooth-sailing system and very tweakable too - as I mentioned in my previous posts, I think Win7 is/was the high point of Windows operating systems. I now run FE2/SF2/WOFF/WOTR/ROF/IL2-1946 (vp modpack) on Windows 10 Pro (ver. 1809) on the BootCamp side of my Mac Pro - so far it's been a good system since I've tried to lock down/avoid excessive updates...chose to postpone big updates by 365 days and security updates by one month. I don't know if I'll upgrade to ver. 1909 anytime soon, in BootCamp, since my primary use for Win10 is simming and FM tweaking - my work stuff is on the Mac side.

 

The primary deciding factors will be:

a) if ver. 1909 has fps in the sims as good as, if not better, than in ver. 1809 of Win10 - lower fps will be a no-go

b) if it will be even possible to do a "normal" upgrade in BootCamp from one ver. of Win10 to another

 

I might as well expand this post slightly since it may be of use to Windows users, and those interested in sticking with Windows 7 for the next few (more) years.

If you want to remain on a "fixed" ver. of Win10 or if you want to maintain Win7 on your rigs, not only for ThirdWire sim compatibility but other reasons too, I recommend:

1. use a browser other than IE or Edge (I like Firefox loaded up with AdBlockPlus and PrivacyBadger - also good is the Pale Moon Browser, a fork of the slightly older Firefox before Quantum, with the AdBlockLatitude plugin)

2. for email, use a desktop program that doesn't support html - I like Sylpheed (not Sylpheed Claws but the plain old Sylpheed - works well enough and html emails can easily be opened in your web browser if you click on such emails)

3. on Win7, install MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and set it to work as your malware "wall," instead of the old Windows Defender that comes with Win7, since definitions in the old Defender only go up to about 2012 - on Win10, the baked-in newer ver. of Defender is fine as your malware wall

4. look into downloading "ClamWin" (free, barebones antivirus program - it can be scheduled to run weekly, daily, etc. - has no "real-time" scanning but I like that since it doesn't bog down system resources) - ClamWin is simply a graphical front end to ClamAV and is updated regularly

5. on both Win10 and Win7, go into the "system" settings in the control panels window, and make sure to "enable DEP for all programs" and reboot to take effect (you will have to toggle this to "DEP for essential programs only" if you want to run IL2-1946 however)

6. set up a "standard user" account on Win7 and use that for regular computing, instead of an administrative account (a good tip for Win10 as well, if you are running an unsupported ver. of Win10)

7. for Win7 only, since official support has ended, download and install what's referred to as the "0patch" app - this patches vulnerabilities on the fly, only while you are running vulnerable programs, on Win7, and comes in a free edition - seems legit. from what I've been able to test on my Win7 installs (0patch is available at the following link  https://0patch.com/)

8. download OSArmor for Win7 (and Win10), and enable it using the default settings that are already selected in it - the program blocks various connections to your computer (available here https://www.novirusthanks.org/products/osarmor/)

9. go into your firewall settings and select "block all incoming connections" for all profiles available, including public, home, etc.

10. go into your wireless/ethernet adapter settings (available under the advanced tab in "networking"), and disable, in the properties section of the adapter, "IPv6," if you're not using it and only relying on IPv4 for network connections

Happy flying (and computing),

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VonS said:

Yes, even though I'm a Mac guy, I have a soft spot for Win7 (Ultimate ed. in my case) - smooth-sailing system and very tweakable too - as I mentioned in my previous posts, I think Win7 is/was the high point of Windows operating systems. I now run FE2/SF2/WOFF/WOTR/ROF/IL2-1946 (vp modpack) on Windows 10 Pro (ver. 1809) on the BootCamp side of my Mac Pro - so far it's been a good system since I've tried to lock down/avoid excessive updates...chose to postpone big updates by 365 days and security updates by one month. I don't know if I'll upgrade to ver. 1909 anytime soon, in BootCamp, since my primary use for Win10 is simming and FM tweaking - my work stuff is on the Mac side.

The primary deciding factors will be:

a) if ver. 1909 has fps in the sims as good as, if not better, than in ver. 1809 of Win10 - lower fps will be a no-go

b) if it will be even possible to do a "normal" upgrade in BootCamp from one ver. of Win10 to another

I might as well expand this post slightly since it may be of use to Windows users, and those interested in sticking with Windows 7 for the next few (more) years.

If you want to remain on a "fixed" ver. of Win10 or if you want to maintain Win7 on your rigs, not only for ThirdWire sim compatibility but other reasons too, I recommend:

1. use a browser other than IE or Edge (I like Firefox loaded up with AdBlockPlus and PrivacyBadger - also good is the Pale Moon Browser with the AdBlockLatitude plugin)

2. for email, use a desktop program that doesn't support html - I like Sylpheed (not Sylpheed Claws but the plain old Sylpheed - works well enough and html emails can easily be opened in your web browser if you click on such emails)

3. on Win7, install MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and set it to work as your malware "wall," instead of the old Windows Defender that comes with Win7, since definitions in the old Defender only go up to about 2012 - on Win10, the baked-in newer ver. of Defender is fine as your malware wall

4. look into downloading "ClamWin" (free, barebones antivirus program - it can be scheduled to run weekly, daily, etc. - has no "real-time" scanning but I like that since it doesn't bog down system resources) - ClamWin is simply a graphical front end to ClamXav and is updated regularly

6. on both Win10 and Win7, go into the "system" settings in the control panels window, and make sure to "enable DEP for all programs" and reboot to take effect (you will have to toggle this to "DEP for essential programs only" if you want to run IL2-1946 however)

7. for Win7 only, since official support has ended, download and install what's referred to as the "0patch" app - this patches vulnerabilities on the fly, only while you are running vulnerable programs, on Win7, and comes in a free edition - seems legit. from what I've been able to test on my Win7 installs (0patch is available at the following link  https://0patch.com/)

Happy flying (and computing),

Von S :smile:

I got Il-2 1946 but it runs quite shit on my current laptop especially when flying over trees, ran smoothly when I had my Toshiba with Intel 3. This one has AMD A9-9420, Silent Hunter 3 runs well, the Anti Aliasing on SH3 with AMD works on 7 not 10 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JohnLewis141997 said:

I got Il-2 1946 but it runs quite shit on my current laptop especially when flying over trees, ran smoothly when I had my Toshiba with Intel 3. This one has AMD A9-9420, Silent Hunter 3 runs well, the Anti Aliasing on SH3 with AMD works on 7 not 10 

I have ave. fps in IL2-1946 of about 100 - graphics are acceptable with the vp modpack installed - but as indicated in one of my other posts here on the FE2 threads, I don't like the padlock views in IL2-1946 as much as in the ThirdWire and OBD sims. ROF padlock views are so-so. In "46" on the other hand, once a locked target is out of your front field of view for a few seconds, padlock automatically disengages - and then it's mouse-view or external aircraft-to-target view before you find the bandit again (cumbersome and sometimes it breaks immersion). Also I find high-density forests strange in "46" - with those spring coil effects, and then a downed aircraft disappears below the "spring-coil" forest ceiling. Maybe I'm just too nit-picky but I prefer how forests are done in the TW and OBD sims (better than in ROF). One thing I'll give to "46" is that there's subtle movement of trees (very subtle but can be spotted, would be nice to introduce such an effect into the TW/OBD sims). Also, feel free to turn off "complex engine management" and "wing flutter" in "46" since they don't seem to be modeled correctly - you'll get more FM realism with those options turned off.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1946's forest is just layers of sheets, I like making massive Battle of Britain dogfights over the channel with 40 aircrafts on each side, fps was playing 

Edited by JohnLewis141997

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 11:19 AM, RUSTYMORLEY said:

What about IL-2 1946 does this run on Windows 10 ????

I may need to move to Windows 10 in the next year or so when I decide to upgrade my rig with new hardware, and I am thinking  it might  be a good thing to do it all in one go. 

Heard so many different stories about IL-2 1946 not working on Windows 10, yet some say it runs okay. 

Can anybody clarify this issue. !!!

IL2-1946 works fine, providing you go into the control panels settings first (for Win10), and, under the "system" settings, make sure to select "DEP enabled for essential programs only" or something to that effect, then reboot, and "46" should fly fine. Also recommended is running the IL2 exe, also the IL2 launcher exe (if you are running one of the modpacks), in Win7 compatibility mode.

Speaking of modding packs, I recommend the "VP Modpack" since it seems to have the best graphics of the various modpacks available - yes, there is "BAT" but that thing is huge, and (in my humble opinion) WW1 flight fans are better off looking into running fully modded FE2, modded ROF, and of course the wonderful WOFF (ultimate and platinum editions).

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

P.S. Disable "complex engine management" and "wing flutter" in the IL2-46 sim menu for more flight physics realism, since those two don't seem to be modeled all that well - and besides, the AI is then less at an "uber" advantage - and more competitive with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..