I recently downloaded a couple of the Helicopters from the SF 1 downloads section. I am well pleased with most of them and they indeed are a credit to the makers. Following installation of the helicopters I noticed a slight issue with the Tail Rotors. Whilst the Main Rotor appears to be moving relatively fast when the Helicopter is moving at speed, the Tail Rotor appears to be idling at a low speed.  Is there any way to alter this problem and get the Tail Rotor moving at a higher speed or consistent with Main Rotor speed. I am not an expert, but I assume that the appearance of both the Main Rotor and the Tail Rotor rotating at speed is generated by TGA files.  If I am wrong please correct me, and if you can offer advice to fix the problem I would be very grateful. It may infact be a glitch with my computer or Graphics Card failing to display the movement of the Tail Rotor correctly ! - don't know as yet.

Thank - you in advance for any help or assistance you can offer. :good:

Further Information

• Am using SF1 only.
  • Game is Wings over Europe
  • Patched to October 2008
  • Alouette V1  -  issue with Tail Rotor only
  • Bo 105  -  issue with Tail Rotor only
  • Graphics card is Radeon RX 580 Series
  • All other Helicopter installations display the Tail Rotor movement correctly

Okay thanks for that Crawford. I think I will have to abandon them. Thanks for the reply anyway, much appreciated. :good: :good: :good:

• Like 1

Recently I realized that in some terrains some helicopters have problems with the tail rotor animation ... you can try a predetermined terrain that happens and then do the same with the SWUS terrain, for example, obviously I think it can be a problem of graphics in complex terrain ... when I have time I will put a video or a photo to show this case ...

Edited by PeacePuma

3 hours ago, PeacePuma said:

Recently I realized that in some terrains some helicopters have problems with the tail rotor animation ... you can try a predetermined terrain that happens and then do the same with the SWUS terrain, for example, obviously I think it can be a problem of graphics in complex terrain ... when I have time I will put a video or a photo to show this case ...

Okay thanks for the information and your reply Peace Puma.   :good:

Will keep a look-out for any noticeable differences when using alternative terrains.

Alas, the problem is not in terrains at all. :no:

As you can see, in the 3D model of your Bo-105 there are no Fast/SlowPropNodes for the Tail Rotor. Therefore, simply editing DATA.INI can't fix anything.

The game engine cannot rotate the prop at high speed if this is not included in the model.  With some caveats, this works well with a wind-driven fuel pumps and generators of aircraft of the WWI (Camel F1, Salmson 2A2, RAF FE8, Martinsyde G100 etc) and WW2, but it is practically unsuitable for the main propellers and rotors.

Bo105-1.thumb.jpg.a7a9f2174c836f96a6f5020ce8d9e46b.jpg

Edited by Crawford

IT IS A CRYING SHAME. Some good helicopters are relatively unusable because of minor issues like this. I wish I knew how to fix them myself then I would have ago at them, but alas I have never been able to master anything like that. Never mind, just have to abandon them....!!!!!

Just a final word to say thanks for your replies guys, I really appreciate any help and advice given by skilled modders and members alike here at Combat Ace.  :good: :good: :good:

Edited by RUSTYMORLEY
  • Like 1

If it's a visual issue, only seen from "outside", staying in the cockpit will eliminate the problem. Just saying...

• Like 1

Thanks guys but I have decided to let those two helicopters go. Shame really,  just a bit more work on the tail rotors and they could have been fine. Cheers anyway. :good: