Dassault Aviation Mirage IIICX - 3 Staffel, Austrian Air Force, 1999

By the late 1970's it was clear that Austria's small force of sub-sonic Saab 105's were completely inadequate to defend Austrian airspace with reports suggesting that the Saab 105's even struggled to intercept stray business jets. In 1980 the Austrian Air Force announced a formal requirement for 30 modern fighter aircraft to replace the Saab 105's in the interception role from about 1985 onwards and allow the Saab 105's to remain in service as advanced training aircraft with a secondary surveillance role. 

In response, British Aerospace offered ex-Saudi Air Force Lightning F.Mk53's but the Austrian Air Force immediately rejected this offer due to the poor condition of the airframes and the Lightning's notoriously high maintenance costs. Saab offered Austria reconditioned J 35D Draken fighters and this appeared to be the front runner during 1981 but to everyone's surprise the contract for Austria's new fighter aircraft was awarded to Dassault Aviation for 30 refurbished ex-Armée de l'Air Mirage IIIC aircraft as the Mirage IIICX powered by the uprated SNECMA Atar 09K-50 engine developing 15,900lbs thrust in reheat. Entering service with 3 Staffel in April 1986 the Mirage IIICX's served the Austrian Air Force well and were eventually replaced by ex-Armée de l'Air Mirage 2000's during 2006-2008.

AAF MIRAGE 3CX.01

AAF MIRAGE 3CX.02

AAF MIRAGE 3CX.03

AAF MIRAGE 3CX.04

AAF MIRAGE 3CX.05

AAF MIRAGE 3CX.06

Skin Credit: Sundowner

• Like 15

41 minutes ago, Sheriff001 said:

Shouldn't it be Mirage IIIÖ?

I deliberately did NOT choose that designation as it's too similar to the Oz versions!

• Like 2

Since Austria is named L'Autriche in french i think the designation should be Mirage IIICLA or Mirage IIILA.

I like it! Good work Spinners!

• Thanks 1

Looks good!

Nice skins for the Mirage! I like it.