Sign in to follow this  
Trotski

Insufficient Observers

Ok, there is a definite problem here somewhere,  I have started 2 new careers, one German, and one French, and as always I do training first before reporting to my Squadron/Staffel. On both these 2 new pilots, at completion of their training, they trot off merrily rejoicing to join their doughty comrades in arms to fight the good fight, and on both of them now, I have reached the squadron....and like magic, I cannot fly at all due to the fact there are no observers. In disgust I deleted the German pilot last night, after fruitlessly advancing the date, and even going on leave, all to no avail. I have just finished training my Frenchie, and guess what ?....yup....no bloody observers....again......This is rather annoying , as doing the 16 plus hours of training first, then going to a squadron that has been suggested by the sim, I find myself unable to fly.......Bit of an issue really, and it needs looking into please, as I am getting a bit ............Anxious !!!  

Trotski,  can you send your pilots, and logs, to support email address please.  Also which squads you joined.

After that, for now just skip training and use Direct Deployment to Front (No training) to create a pilot - or just create a new pilot manually (Manual Squad Deployment button bottom right) and chose a date, squad, etc.

Edited by Polovski

Hmmmm......not going to do an un trained pilot, I just cannot do that, so I shall await your fix for this ......also I only have the one pilot now, as I deleted the German pilot in disgust last night. This issue has only occurred since the last patch, so maybe that is having something to do with it ? Which brings me to another point, surely when we train a pilot, such as the training is, they should be awarded wings, or whatever the nation has for their trained aviators !!! 

Sorry I do not understand why can you not create another pilot trotski - with same name, same squadron just pretend he's the same person and the training is done (as it was) and pilot is now at that squadron?

If you can send your pilots that didn't work, squad name and date,  and files from \LOGS folder please and we can hopefully look to see what the problem is.

Last 2 pages of the FAQ tell you how to find send the files to us thanks.

https://www.overflandersfields.com/index_html_files/FAQ_WOFF_BH&HII.pdf

Sure with enough support we can try to add more and more to WOFF, just everything takes time.

Edited by Polovski

Because that defeats the object of having the pilot do training in the first place, sorry if it seems I am being awkward, but after spending a fair few hours training 2 , apparently, un usable pilots, the idea of having a "pretend trained" pilot is going to mess with my OCD hahahahaha. I shall send the info ASAP, am a little tied up with something else at the moment, so bear with me, and I will get it to you, as it is a definite issue, or a weird coincidence at the very least !!! 

I am looking forward to more content as and when you guys can get it sorted, there are a fair few glaring omissions from the Sim as it stands, and any DLC you release can only improve what is ( barring the obvious glitches such as this one ) a superb simulation of WWI ..........I have many suggestions if you want them lol....ok...shutting up now lol lol lol

Trotski00;

Maybe the observers don't have enough confidence in your pilot to take a chance flying with him!! :lol:

Sorry,....I couldn't resist :biggrin:

• Haha 2

hahahaha.....I had thought this, must be the damned French and German chaps deciding that maybe having an idiot flying them around wasn't in their best interests !! 

OK I just completed training here - finally got assigned to RNAS 4  a Sopwith Strutter A2 - 2 seater squadron, and we have observers fine.  So perhaps it's just particular squadron (s) with a problem or something else.
So as I say  we'd need much more info, which squadron/ date etc and the files (to support email address,  do not post here) when you can get there.

No promises of course on if, or when, it could be fixed if there is indeed a problem.

Edited by Polovski
  • Like 1

Roger that, I am going to try something first before I send any files to you, as you say it may just be those particular escadrille/staffels........I shall send you the logs if is re occurs. so fingers crossed.

Well, touch wood, after a full uninstall, and a good scout around, I did find a few bits and bobs from my previous WOFF PE that hadn't been removed when I switched over to BH&H . so I am unsure as to whether that may have had some bearing on the problems I had yesterday. So, as I said I deleted everything I could find that was OBD related, including WOTR ( just in case) and re installed a fresh version , on my SSD this time as well, not on my HDD . of course that meant the pilots I had issues with yesterday were of course deleted. Anyhow, to get to the point, I re rolled a new pilot, and he has completed training, and has been posted to 1 RNAS , which although it is a fighter mob, as I am playing from 1915, they are of course flying BE's and Parasols, so they need observers, and much to my delight, the Squadron has a full complement of pilots and obervers !! .......Well at least they did, until after my very first mission 3 of the buggers piled in all on top of each other on the airfield whilst landing.....Hmmmmm....is this a problem ? dunno......anyhow all is working as it should compliment wise at least. I also think the Froggy pilot I had issues with yesterday had been posted to a squadron, where the correct aircraft are STILL not available YET this is a thing that you guys at OBD need to get on top of, I know it is a lot of work, and that you are a small team etc. However, these are aircraft that were "NOT AVAILABLE YET" in WOFF UE/PE so maybe it may just be an idea to develop these important and glaringly obvious by their absence aircraft ( The French trained in Farmans, the first allied ace flew a Morane Bullet, in fact he was the man behind the propellor deflector was he not ? ) . Just a little constructive critique there, I am not getting on your backs about it, however............

Anyhow, I shall try and make a Froggy cloud hopper tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully nothing if todays efforts are anything to go by.

@trotski00 without any knowledge of the specific unit that displays the “aircraft not available yet” message, is it possible (probable) the date of such message is prior to the unit becoming operational? Or possibly on the date of such message that the unit was equipped with an aircraft not included in the sim?

No, they are aircraft that just aren't in sim yet, there is a Farman, F40, the Caudron G3, Morane Bullet, and others as well. those are just the French ones. it is a minor irritation I know, however there are types which should be in sim, which just are not. If we as the end users do not say anything, then nothing will be done/added so a gentle pressure on developers is a good thing, as long as it is respectful, and constructive. For another example....Why no bombsight ? why no pilots wings/badge earned after training ? why no Log editor, these are all things that should be in sim as default, and the work has already been done by 3rd party modders , they just need to be adjusted to fit the new iteration of the sim. I dont want people imagining I am just moaning or whinging, I am not, I am merely pointing out stuff that aint there that should be there. The devs no doubt will get annoyed with me. But sometimes a Devils Advocate is a good thing !!

Glad it's sorted anyway trotski00

Of course as I already said we can add more - it just takes TIME.  Yes we have already intended to add the few aircraft that are not yet available in the squads.  Don't forget WE added the information in the squad to show you that a particular aircraft is not available.  We added the manager code to read the squads and display messages ;) so we know.  One day all being well with enough support to keep us going maybe it will be even bigger than the 10 million items in there.

Most sims do not have even a fraction of the detailed WW1 content as it is.

We have been doing this a long time, and we know what aircraft are not in there,   we  want to add more for BH&H II.

We do not have a visual "pilot" avatar so nowhere to pin wings on.   Do you mean you want to see a screen with a picture of wings ?  Or  message a "Congrats you have be awarded your wings!"
Just because it's essential to you doesn't mean it's essential to everyone of course.

• Like 1

Of course , you are correct, not everyone is as picky as myself lol. The wings though, can they not be awarded in a similar fashion to a medal for instance ? so it shows up in your log book as an award, just throwing ideas around, and I know the wings issue, isn't actually an issue at all, rather it is just an immersion quality of life thing, I am also aware that some peeps do not do the training, so it is obviously not a huge priority. But, it would be nice to see it implemented. Please do not think I am being deliberately annoying, I am merely throwing my hat into the ring so to speak, and, without feedback, you as devs do not get a feel for the thoughts, wishes, and desires of the people who are keen to see this sim develop and grow. As I previously mentioned, I am aware of your limitations of time etc. as you are a small team, and let me say you have thus far done a sterling job on Woff in all its iterations !! It is just some things NEED to be in here, the bombsight for one, they were used, and developed, yes I know early war there wern't any really, however from '16 on, they were a thing. and by that premise, should be there, as not all of us are fighter jocks, and at least having a better chance of laying ones eggs in a generally accurate fashion is rather desirable. Ther was a 3rd party bomb sight developed for the last incarnation of WOFF, so the system is there, it just needs to be tweaked so it works in this version. I know I can be a pain in the arse , but if all of us piped up and made CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions to you guys, you could see what is more pressing and enable you to judge what and when you add new content etc.

Keep up the great work, and please do not take my comments personally, as they are not meant in that manner .

Thanks trotski100 yeah I guess it would be OK if the wings were awarded like a medal and showed up like that.

I think the bombsite mod should still work but I am not sure if anyone tested it yet.

Edited by Polovski

Yes I did test it myself, however it certainly does not work on the Be2, and it sends the f10 and f11 selections into turmoil. it never worked on the Caudron for some reason, but it did used to work well on the BE not sure about on Aviatiks, but I would imagine it is the same as the Be2 where it fails to work and messes up the controls ........So it needs to be tweaked, however, as I said, the facility for a sight should be in game, without the need for a 3rd party mod. and yes, sorry, but that is a criticism. Although a gentle one !! :lol::lol: 

I think RAF_Louvert created the bombsight mod. I imagine he is planning to update the mod for BHaH2, but you might ask him yourself, just to be sure.

.. and the Caudron he deliberately left the nice bomb window view I made, to still be on display ;)

Yes at least on the Caudron you have a nice view, but no means of judging how or when to drop your ordinance. a case of drop 'em and hope for the best, and make sure you dont drop anywhere near friendly forces, as you are just as likely to spoil THIER whole day.

hahahaha yup, its a bitch at times, especially if you are a ground pounder being bombed by your own damn air force.

Seriously though, the guys who flew Caudrons must of had some sort of rule of thumb about how to bomb relatively accurately, all be it with a general level of accuracy at least. would be interesting to find out how it was achieved.  I assume , as you modelled the aircraft, you have modelled the bomb window accurately, so I wonder if they made their own "cheat" lines on the glazing, to aid them.......a very interesting subject.  

Yes that would help indeed. Either that or implement it into the Flight school, as gunnery and bombing was indeed taught early in the war.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VFC_Baxter said:

We need video of bombing. :cool:

I'd be interested in seeing that... it might persuade me to take up a bombing career!  :yikes:

• Like 1