Does the game limit you to the four basic icons for friendly and enemy aircraft and ground units or can a specific unit (e.g. 1st Tank Brigade) have its own icon assigned? I made some icons for Dhimar and Paran with the basic names and included them below. Should you wish to use them just copy them to your mod folder /Menu folder and overwrite if asked.

ENEMYAIRCRAFTICON.bmp

ENEMYGROUNDFORCEICON.BMP

FRIENDLYAIRCRAFTICON.bmp

FRIENDLYGROUNDFORCEICON.BMP

Edited by Righteous26
Added Dhimar and Paran to icon description

From what little I know it's limited to those generic icons. Nobody has modded (AFAIK anyway) the icons so it may or may not be possible.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Nobody has modded (AFAIK anyway) the icons so it may or may not be possible.

It is possible. There are some mods by Capitaine Vengeur introducing national counters on the planning maps, and I've done it as well for all countries portrayed in the ODS 30AE total conversion modification. It involves some .ini editing, and of course lots of patience in creating dozens of different textures. 

It's not possible to have them for specific units (unless you want to use unrelated nations in campaigns to pose as placeholders for units), but for specific nations it's doable. It's basically done in TW's First Eagles 2, what we did in ODS 30AE is just an example of using FE2's features in Strike Fighters.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Righteous26 said:

So are we limited to icons with the four file names as in the original post?

That's not what I said. Please use the search bar available on this site, use "national counters" as key words and you'll find the mods I mentioned made by Capitaine Vengeur. It's not just a matter of having textures in different names, you also need to tweak some .ini files.

Edited by Menrva

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 76.IAP-Blackbird
      Dear Pilots!

In today’s DD we have three new things to show you. First, we have some screenshots of our Normandy Map which is coming together nicely. It’s looking very scenic! Second, we have developed the technology to launch a V-1 “Buzz Bomb” from fixed installations. They will make great targets for mission designers. And finally, we have been working on the technology necessary to portray amphibious landings which is necessary for Normandy.

Normandy Landscape

Below are screens from the new map. As you can see there are some rather large cities and towns as well as a variety of different airfield types. The landscape is also very beautiful. Together it will make a very interesting and fun map to fly over.

V-1 Installations

The dreaded V-1 is operational in our project for the first time. V-1 sites were prized targets by Allied pilots and needed to be silenced. The V-1s raining down on the UK in the summer of 1944 were a real problem and caused so much destruction and casualties. Attacking these sites will make for some excellent missions.

Amphibious Landings

And finally, we can’t have an invasion without landing craft bringing troops and vehicles to the beaches. In the images below we see some testing on one of our non-Normandy maps. We have found a clever way to make infantry objects that appear pretty convincing. These soldiers can advance and shoot at the enemy and of course they can perish. Just don’t ask these little pixel soldiers to make you a sandwich or tea, they aren’t that smart.

Enjoy!

The Sturmovik Team
    • By Avrillav
      Hello. I have just reinstalled the SF2 and put all addons I have already used. It is all working. However, after I downloaded new terrains (Iraq03 and Libya), my SF2 cannot recognize these maps in Mission Map sections. However, other maps I have used before work. What is the solution, please?
    • By Viper63a

View File SF2 Alternate Desktop Icons
      SF2 Desktop Icons

Tired of those ugly green stock icons? Well you can replace them with these...

Forgot to mention, one icon (ODS) is from the ODS Pack...

Enjoy!
      Submitter viper63a Submitted 10/20/2016 Category Other  
    • By Gepard

View File Open Atlantic terrain HFD
      Open AtlanticTerrain HFD v.1.1

This terrain is written for SF2NA

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I. Short description:

The terrain covers the open Atlantic Ocean south of Iceland. It is a mod of the Open Ocean Carrier Battle

Map terrain.
      It is made for slower computers, thatswhy it use no LOD based terrain, but the old HFD.

Changes to previous version:
      - starting positions of the carriers are variable now
      - 2 more recon points
      - changed the sides on the map. Soviets starts west, NATO starts east (to simulate a carrier duell NW of Scottland)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

II. INSTALLATION:

Unzip all files into your Wings StrikeFighters2 /terrain folder.

Thats it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

III. Credits. I want to say thank you to JonathanRL who made the original Open Ocean Carrier Battle

Map

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IV. This Terrain is Freeware. Commercial use is not allowed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

V.

For remarks, comments, bugs, etc please use CombatAce forum or send me a PM.

Hope you enjoy it.

Michael (Gepard)

Made in Germany
      02 June 2014
      Submitter Gepard Submitted 03/23/2014 Category Full Terrains  
    • By chrispdm1

View File WOFF Westen Front Airfield Maps
      This is the second version of my airfield mapping for Wings: Over Flanders Fields. Credit goes to Rabu for his Flanders map that he has allowed me to use to map airfields on. The Paris map was created entirely by myself. The others were public domain and the airfield data came from WOFF itself. Please do not repost or change and distribute without crediting rabu and myself.
      Submitter chrispdm1 Submitted 12/21/2013 Category Maps, Missions, and Campaigns  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..