i try to get rid of this seam , i try Edit Normals in 3ds max and in max it looks like it works no more seam but as soon as i have the lod in game the seam is back 

any idea what i do wrong ????

in 3ds max is no seam visible

Image2.thumb.jpg.0d756ad62b17694c4e8ca5ff4c7be597.jpg

in game the seam is there

img00001.thumb.jpg.7742bafc0dbc5047b94f34ad014869e5.jpg

• Sad 1

Hello Volker, here's a couple of  suggestions:

Have you checked that you have the same smoothing group on both sides of the seam?

You've probably already checked; but is the seam properly welded?

this are to different objects , the upper part belongs to the Inlet / Fuselage the lower part to the Wing

i remember that someone posted that we can remove this seam by using the " Edit Normals " function in 3ds max and in max it works the seam is cone , but not in game

the red ray´s are the one i fixed , before editing them the ray`s for the Inlet and the ray`S for the wing where showing in different directions now both showing in the same direction and in max the seam is cone

Image2.thumb.jpg.52fee0d9d4e41646b1bf96c6fcfc93dc.jpg

My 5 cents here:

Shouldn't has to do with the skin, and possibly weathering?

image.thumb.png.8e0fb84b247c2e5c7dd6ae6c4896002d.png

image.thumb.png.9b2e1d3d6d5218bd4489752fbcc1cb81.png

I mean from a skinning point of view it doesn't seem to be a skin issue, more or less a modeling issue.

Well, then my useless opinion: I also faced this problem. I have been looking for a solution for a long time, I manually twisted the normal, but I could not defeat the seam after export. The only way out is not to cut the model in this place. I know, this is useless advise, sorry :cool:

• Thanks 1

I had this issue on some models, and in some places, after editing normal it was gone... sometimes it was back after further editing in max and then exporting...

And I know that in one case I was able to export the model and it was good in a game, and on some other models (F-22?) I was not able to fix this.

Perhaps some settings in edit normals?  I usually try to mess with this but have similar effects.

• Thanks 1

This just came to me .. have you tried exporting both "with/without decals" to see If it helps because I suspect that without decals option doesn't tesselate polygons (which may impact the exporter's management of normals.

6 hours ago, sophocles said:

This just came to me .. have you tried exporting both "with/without decals" to see If it helps because I suspect that without decals option doesn't tesselate polygons (which may impact the exporter's management of normals.

i exported it with decals and i try a lot with this Edit Normals function but no luck so far , may be its time that i give it to an other modder to see if he has more luck , i think i miss something important but no idea what it is

A very long shot, but if you are using bump and spec maps try removing them .....I've no idea if it would cure the problem or not but at least you've remove another variable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1