Sign in to follow this  
avi8tor

How to merge WOI/WOE/WOV etc

After asking around a bit I finally found out how to merge thirdwire sims, thanks to FastCargo. Here is the a quote from his post:

Good questions.

Let me tell you my stepthrough (I used WOI as my 'base' sim):

1) Backed up my WOI Objectdata.cat and renamed it (Objectdata.cat.bak...any name will do so long as you know what it is).

2) Copyed all the Objectdata.cat files from each sim (SFP1/WOV/WOE/WOI), renaming them as I copied them (ObjectdataSFP1.cat, ObjectdataWOV.cat, etc). I would recommend coping all 4 files into one directory (an empty one).

3) Used the old extractor to extract ALL files. Here's the trick. I used the old extractor to extract each one in order of release (SFP1, then WOV, etc). The extractor does not have a 'prevent overwrite' function...and so will happily overwrite previous versions of the files. I extracted in this order so any overwrites would be newer files.

4) Remove the old CAT files out of the directory. All that should remain is the files that you want in the new, custom Objectdata.cat.

5) Copy the cat compiler (I'm not sure the actual file name) into that directory and run it. It will generate the new cat file (I forgot what the name of the new file is).

6) Copy the new cat file into your Objects directory and rename it Objectdata.cat.

7) Run the sim!

So far, I have not noticed any errors or crashes. Now, TK I think mentioned that some aircraft (specifically some of the advesaries) may have region specific tweaks, so if there are duplicates, they will prioritize on the WOI standard. However, any stock aircraft from other sims you 'tweaked' with custom data.ini will be unaffected. The sim still works the same way, only looking in the Objectdata.cat file if it doesn't find the specific file outside of the CAT.

I only did this with stock objects...I mainly just wanted a common reference Objectdata.cat file.

However, there is nothing preventing a totally custom .CAT file. Theoretically, it is possible, though the undertaking would be massive.

FastCargo

In post: Migrating old maps, to FC and wrench

---------------------

So there you go!

Extra Notes:

As FastCargo mentions WOI stock AI planes will take precedence over others.

As a fix I added the skins from the WOE and WOV versions and updated the config files.

-This will allow the proper skins to be used in campaign mode but not in single missions I don't know the fix any suggestions?

The old CAT extractor is in the downloads section here: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...mp;showfile=343

And the CATPack utility can be found here: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...4&hl=gerwin

Thanks to FastCargo and gerwin

Edited by avi8tor

Some suggestions on this

1) it is better to make the final overwrite of the files from the objectdata.cats from WOE (not WOI) as WOE has more weapondata entries then WOI.

2) You can optionally pack everyting in the objects\decals folder to objectdata01.cat. But you have to use the WOI.exe to start the game, only then it reads the decals from that file.

3) The only downside compared to running the games separate is the fact that the random single mission generator gives you adversaries that not really fit the environment. (UK harriers and Egyptian Desert camo MiG's in Vietnam for example). It depends on what ini files you packed in the cat file (WOE/WOV/WOI)

(I have solved this by a small utility I made that lets you easily add/remove planesets, but I am afraid it comes with ini files (xxx_data.ini) that are game content, and not free to share.. or are they?)

Edited by gerwin

Good info to know.

Maybe something to add to the knowledge base?

I plan on going scorched earth on my installs and making one ma-hoosive one with the latest patches.

Does anyone know if this combined directory will fit on one DVD? Just stock stuff, no add-ons. Kind of a Strike Fighters Platinum or summat...

Well... considering, SFP, WOx, have all been updated, to approximately a singular standard, with perhaps the exception of the avionics of WOI, I would expect its a simple shuffling of folders over to the desired flight sim you wish to incorporate. For the sake of an example... the sim you wish to keep playing is WOE, so you'd need to copy over WOI's planes, weapons, merge the weapondata.ini into WOE... copy over the terrain, the missions, and the ground objects, and merge the groundobjects.ini file. Theoretically, it should do the trick.

First, it didn't occur to me about the weapondata.ini and dat files. However, that being said, I'd imagine most people are using weapon packs anyway. The best thing would be to merge all the weapondata.ini across the 4 sims, then make a new weapondata.dat and put both in the custom ObjectData.cat.

Second, you will need to extract the SFP1 campaign files to get the SFP1 campaign to work.

Third, the groundobjects.ini file has LONG since been obsolete. When copying stock aircraft and ground objects, the main thing you have to worry about are the additional textures. Aircraft and ground objects will automatically add those textures into the available list when you start the sim.

Fourth, you MAY be able to delete all the SHD files since the sim now generates shadows on the fly...in fact, you could theoretically delete them before you recompile your custom ObjectData.cat file.

Fifth, the total disk footprint of a SFP1/WOV/WOE/WOI install (including a custom Objectdata.cat file that is almost 1 GB in size) is 4GB...enough to fit on one DVD.

Sixth, there's always been aircraft/object weirdness in computer generated single missions as soon as you step outside the boundries of the original program. Campaigns and custom single missions are usually the way to go to avoid this.

FastCargo

First, it didn't occur to me about the weapondata.ini and dat files. However, that being said, I'd imagine most people are using weapon packs anyway. The best thing would be to merge all the weapondata.ini across the 4 sims, then make a new weapondata.dat and put both in the custom ObjectData.cat.

I compared the weapondata.ini from WOI with the one from WOE. And the WOE ini contains all the entries of WOI and a few more. So no need to merge ini's just take the WOE file.

Here is the utility I made to add/remove the stock planesets to a merged install, HOWEVER: I posted it without the required ini-datafiles, so if you want to use it you have to add them yourself.

Hmm, actually I think the ini-switch tool also functions quite a bit without the data-ini-files, adding these files will give it the functionality to change the nationality of the aircraft.

INIswitch.zip

Edited by gerwin

Making a merged install SFP1+WOV+WOE+WOI

For each folder:

Sounds - Use only the folder from WOE

Controls - Use only the folder from WOE

Campaigns - Combine folder content from all four games (there will be no overwrites)

Effects - Combine folder content from all four games (overwrites in any way are OK)

Flight - Use only the folder from WOE

Menu - Use only the folder from WOE *

Missions - Combine folder content from all four games (overwrites in any way are acceptable) **

NetCache - empty

Objects - Combine folder content from all four games (overwrites in any way are OK) ***

PilotData - Use only the folder from WOE

ScreenShots - empty

System - Use only the folder from WOE

Terrain - Combine folder content from all four games (there will be no overwrites)

Speech - Use only the folder from WOE

ROOT (not in any folder) - use the WOI exe (blue icon), but the other files from WOE

* you might want to add LoadoutMercPad.bmp from SFP1 (mercenary invoice)

** or rename the mission files as you please to prevent overwrites

*** special notes on the objects folder:

the ObjectData.cat's have to be combined this way:

Download CatPack.exe. Take the ObjectData.cat files from WOV+WOE+WOI and extract the contents (drag n drop one after another of these cat files on CatPack to extract). Throw all the extracted files together in a folder, throw in WOE's files last and let them overwrite. When done copy CatPack.exe to this folder and run it, it will make a CatPack.cat file. Rename CatPack.cat to ObjectData.cat, put this in your merged game's objects folder.

Optional - For an extra neat install:

- Some of the extracted files of the ObjectData.cat's are actually decals that are better moved to the objects\decals folder: you will get overwrites, this is OK, this just removes duplicates.

- Pack all files in the objects\decals folder with CatPack (as above) Rename CatPack.cat to ObjectData01.cat, put this in your merged game's objects folder. You can delete the old decals folder

- Download the INIswitch utility to add and remove plane-sets from the game, you can optionally add the proper 'planename'_data.ini files to this utility to make it 100% functional (these ini's are in the original ObjectData.cat's).

- You can optionally remove all multilanguage files: Cat's/Dll's that start with UKenglish, French, German, Italian, Spanish. (but not USenglish..!)

CatPack.zip

Data inis are ok share...it's only core files like dlls, exes and LODs that are verboten

Go for it dude!!

Wrench

kevin stein

I didn't merge with WOI. I only did SFP1/WOV and WOE. All planes showed up alright EXCEPT the F-104 when I selected US Silver skin, my wingies are German skinned. This happened in Single Mission. How do I get a work around to this issue?

All excellent information, gentlemen, just one question.

When during the proceedings does one add the, I assume, WoE patch to this tastily under 4 GB install?

All excellent information, gentlemen, just one question.

When during the proceedings does one add the, I assume, WoE patch to this tastily under 4 GB install?

Patch all seperate installs before merging if possible. Currently SFP1 is unpatched which results in a desert terrain without stationary aircraft on the airfields. (That is the only reason I make a backup of my seperate game installs; so they can be patched in the future.)

OK wrench, I'll take your word for it, here is INIswitch with all datafiles. (IFAIK it enables one to have a merged install without any drawbacks compared to seperate installs)

My install is 2,5 GB, and only 665MB as a rar archive. but I did remove some WOV skins that seemed identical (USMC stuff).

@starbucker: wingman skins remain default until selected otherwise by you in the loadout screen.

INIswitch.zip

Edited by gerwin

So far I have WoE/WoV (Combined Installed) and patched to Sep 08 patch. Found most of the aircrafts there except F-104. But I thought why do I need the F-104 from SFP1? I can dwonload a F-104 to save all the hassle of packing and unpacking .CAT files.

So I see very little point of a merged install considering so much work need to me done.

One correction on my earlier summary: in the Flight folder you have to use MissionData.cat and MissionText.cat form WOI, otherwise the WOI campaign won't work.

i found this rather useful and after following it to the letter i can safely say it works brilliantly

but i have one question

where does this method come in with regards to the WOI expansion pack .....when i tried to add it to the install only the WOI stuff showed up in game

hmmm

one wonders if the lods and inis arn't in unicode..

sorta moot, since 98.6% of modders have moved on to SF2

hmmm

one wonders if the lods and inis arn't in unicode..

sorta moot, since 98.6% of modders have moved on to SF2

yeah well so i keep getting told .......everytime i post on a strike fighters one board (im getting a bit sick to death of hearing it tbh) but i do have to say that just because that is the case it dosnt make it moot their are still 2% that still need to know this stuff

so when it comes to me its a case of people having to get over that fact .....because its kinda starting to feel as if im the one who is in the wrong for still doing so

but because im not wishing to come off like an asshole for saying that i will say probably but not having knowledge in these matters i dont know .........all i know is the only things that show up after the merging are the wings over israel stuff whereas before everything did .....the addon just dosnt seem compatible

unless im doing it wrong

and tbh im quite surprised that in all the years this game has been out no one has answered that question yet (or at least i cant find it)

Edited by tonyspike
  • Like 1

after doing some research on how to do this and having checked the files with notepad both on the regular install and the expansion packed install seem to have ANSI selected by default .....does this mean they are both in ANSI?

Edited by tonyspike

If you mean, that only WOI stuff is available, do you speak about planes, groundobjects or terrains? Or all.

I use WOI Operation Kadesh as basic game and i have no problems with modding it and fly different planes and use different terrains. But i dont use a merged installation.

i mean everything plains groundobjects terrains campaigns ....everything not in WOI or its addon as standard dosnt seem to show up in a merged install

i have extracted everything from MissionData02.cat and have converted it to ANSI from unicode and re packed the files into a SFP1 cat file .....im now going to attempt a merge again (yes i have my old files backed up) with this new cat file to see if that was the trouble

i will then try using different exes to see what works best

you see i cant remember if using the original WOI or WOE exe made a difference and im hoping that if i use the original WOI exe it might work .....i think that when i tried to run it with the WOE exe none of the israel stuff showed up .....i cannot be certain though so i will report back my findings

Check the folder structure. Normally it should work, if you have the planes, terrains etc in the correct folder.

At minimum the terrains should be available.

With some planes it could give problems, because they are not flyable in WOI, the Harrier, the Hunter etc. So you must check which planes are gone and if you have found out which it are, then you must extract the files of this planes from WOE and bring them in the aircraft folder (make sure, that the files are placed at the correct place).

no my problem is very specific

the harrier and hunter work fine in my merged install ....witch works fine with the WOI exe

but no planes work when i add the addon to it ...just the WOI ones ....and if i use the WOE exe only the WOE.WOV ect planes work

its not hard to understand lol

its only when i add the addon i have trouble ...and that depends on the EXE i use

Sounds strange. I use the WOI Op Kadesh as basic for a France vs GB single installation and also for a Korea War single installation and there i face no problems.

like i say mines a manually merged install ....... it uses WOI regular as a base folder as per the instructions in this thread

anyways....... ..you know how i said i would report back my test findings well it seems its ..............(drum roll) ........mission accomplished chaps

it took some fiddleing but i got operation kadesh to merge with the rest of my install

heres how to do it

create the merged install as shown but when merging the cat files remember to add operation kadesh LAST

then use the folders mentioned in this post to build the rest of your game ........this seems like a chore but you will see why you should still do this momentarily

Making a merged install SFP1+WOV+WOE+WOI

For each folder:

Sounds - Use only the folder from WOE

Controls - Use only the folder from WOE

Campaigns - Combine folder content from all four games (there will be no overwrites)

Effects - Combine folder content from all four games (overwrites in any way are OK)

Flight - Use only the folder from WOE

Menu - Use only the folder from WOE *

Missions - Combine folder content from all four games (overwrites in any way are acceptable) **

NetCache - empty

Objects - Combine folder content from all four games (overwrites in any way are OK) ***

PilotData - Use only the folder from WOE

ScreenShots - empty

System - Use only the folder from WOE

Terrain - Combine folder content from all four games (there will be no overwrites)

Speech - Use only the folder from WOE

ROOT (not in any folder) - use the WOI exe (blue icon), but the other files from WOE

* you might want to add LoadoutMercPad.bmp from SFP1 (mercenary invoice)

** or rename the mission files as you please to prevent overwrites

*** special notes on the objects folder:

the ObjectData.cat's have to be combined this way:

Download CatPack.exe. Take the ObjectData.cat files from WOV+WOE+WOI and extract the contents (drag n drop one after another of these cat files on CatPack to extract). Throw all the extracted files together in a folder, throw in WOE's files last and let them overwrite. When done copy CatPack.exe to this folder and run it, it will make a CatPack.cat file. Rename CatPack.cat to ObjectData.cat, put this in your merged game's objects folder.

Optional - For an extra neat install:

- Some of the extracted files of the ObjectData.cat's are actually decals that are better moved to the objects\decals folder: you will get overwrites, this is OK, this just removes duplicates.

- Pack all files in the objects\decals folder with CatPack (as above) Rename CatPack.cat to ObjectData01.cat, put this in your merged game's objects folder. You can delete the old decals folder

- Download the INIswitch utility to add and remove plane-sets from the game, you can optionally add the proper 'planename'_data.ini files to this utility to make it 100% functional (these ini's are in the original ObjectData.cat's).

- You can optionally remove all multilanguage files: Cat's/Dll's that start with UKenglish, French, German, Italian, Spanish. (but not USenglish..!)

delete all the cat files from WOI operation kadesh and then cut and paste everything else (folders, dlls ect......everything) to your newly merged installl ...overwrite EVERYTHING ....the reason you should build it from scratch anyway rather than just strait up using operation kadesh as a base for your merged install is to make sure you miss nothing from the older games that WOI dosnt have

especially the stuff from the system file

and voila ...the hunter works fine as does the harrier ....and so does the mustang

now to see if it would make a good WWII base lol .....the physics should be better than WOE patched to 08