Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Formats for Carriers and Warship with the Mission Editor

after catching up with this, I think it is easier than outlined. I updated one of the old WWII terrains by taking one of the other watermaps.bmp files and simply renaming it. Worked great.

I don't think you need to work a new water map for each terrain - just take one and ensure that the terrain ini is looking for that one, whatever it's named. I'll do some more on this over the weekend.

Also found out that once you do that, you can edit your mission start location to launch and recover from any carrier that you've added via the mission editor. The carrier shows up as one of the choices when editing your mission.

So full at-sea ops on whatever terrain you choose to mod.

pictures over the weekend.

---

confirmed. It doesn't matter what you name the watermap.bmp file - just as long as you reference it the same in the ini file. I used the same file for a bunch of terrains.

And also, you can enter a carrier under the add ground object selection, and then edit the carrier capable mission to launch and recover from that carrier by selecting it as the launch and recovery airport.

post-19383-0-09328900-1322116161.jpg

post-19383-0-13933900-1322116115.jpg

post-19383-0-80875900-1322116130.jpg

post-19383-0-40461500-1322116143.jpg

Edited by Typhoid

so....

you're saying that the game engine dosen't need to know exactly where the water is on any given terrain?

That is just needs to 'look for and at' any _water.bmp?

Interestinging ... as the 4 stock ones all match the outlines of the landmasses depicted.

if this is true...it's a hell of a time/brain/frustration saver!

My guess is it will allow you to place carriers, but using the wrong water map will allow carriers to sail on the land.

I think SkateZilla is right, it will allow to place within given _water map water wet area but that doesn't mean it will be at sea and sea level; I wonder what would happen with carrier placed on a mountain slope :dntknw:

it tips over? :dntknw:

I tested it last night, using the desert_water.bmp placed in the old China (WW2) terrain, and it definately allowed me to see and change the vessals in an anti-shipping missing. Now, I'm thinking that swapping out ships is one thing, especially where a route has been defined in the _movements ini, as opposed to simply adding one to a 'spot in the ocean'.

I'll have to test that; adding a carrier and flying/recovering on it. But, when one looks the planning map, it's not to difficult to see where land and sea seperate :grin:

we'll see how this works out.

My guess is it will allow you to place carriers, but using the wrong water map will allow carriers to sail on the land.

yep. :oops:

I got back from a mission to land back aboard - and had to pursue the carrier through the French countryside. The carrier kept right on going - at sea level. I tried to land anyway and landed a hundred feet up on the pasture.

So I think the short answer is that any watermap will work, but the custom made ones for the terrain will work - correctly.

Carefully planning the mission will take care of this.

Edited by Typhoid

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..