Sign in to follow this  
Typhoon

Do you use a dedicated simpit?

Do use a dedicated simpit or do you fly from the desk?

I have a homebuilt contraption based on a commercial product that was called the "HOTASS Positioner years ago.

Here is a pic:

th_Hotas1b.jpg

Click on thumbnail to see larger picture.

Plans are available on request.

Tony

Holy Schnicky! I - I think I'll retire! ... :yikes:

Ruggbutt, yours is looking damn well professional for flying a "Warthog".

But Typhoon has to get three points for building it himself.

Great stuff, guys!

Rugg....

Is that a TV or a monitor?

My set up is not quite that good but I do have a dedicated desk and chair for my simming. I know I will need to replace my simming monitor someday and I sure like the look of that one.

Thanks.

Nice!...Mine's just a den of old Pizza boxes!

Nice!...Mine's just a den of old Pizza boxes!

Pizza boxes?.......you were lucky. I dream of having Pizza boxes. My simpit is in a septic tank.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Those that are fans of Monty Python will get the joke.

Seriously, though. I work from home and I have to use my desk for Simming etc. That means I have to get the joystick and TrackIr out whenever I play - can't have them on my desk when my clients see me.

Typhoon, very nice Sir. I'm a fan of the home brew approach, and am mulling over a chair idea for my own current flying room set-up.

Ruggbutt...YIKES! I want to go to there.

... I have to get the joystick and TrackIr out whenever I play - can't have them on my desk when my clients see me.

Well, it would show you're only a human man - but maybe they would all want to try, how long they might last in 1918? :rofl:

Wow! nice job Typhoon. I'm thinking that I could modify that for my setup. What is the device on the left side, all that I have is a joystick and rudder pedals.

Ruggbutt, please more details on your monitor (is it a tv?) I want one! Are those power cables? Do they connect directly to a nuclear reactor :heat: ?

UK I eat loads of pizza more details on your setup please.

I don't recommend doing a google search on Hotass Positioner!

My flying room hasn't changed too much for a while now. I'm still running a second computer for my cockpit map; my Saitek pedals are 'da bomb; and my old school portside throttle lever is still working great.

OFF_Old_School_Throttle_2.jpg

And, my French aviateur's uniform still serves as inspiration when I'm fighting in the virtual OFF skies. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

I would buy one of these if I had the money:

spitcontrol.jpg

It's a 'training' control set, with a replica Spitfire spade grip - and it costs £1600!

There's also this more accurate one:

SS003.jpg

But it costs £6200! - what do you think I am? Crazy? :heat:

As for what I use now - I just have a normal glass desk, but I made sure to get one with a pull out keyboard tray - so that I can pull it out and put my joystick in the middle of it - so that it's at least vaguely in the right place, even if it's not connected to the floor! (Also made sure to get one where the keyboard tray is detachable so I can attach a Yoke to the desk when I fly WW2 Bombers and the like.)

When it came to actually buying a new desk I kept seeing all these fancy workstation things with a raised monitor shelf and a place to put your printer and all sorts of fancy pull out draws and asymetrical design - when all I really wanted was a square desk with 4 legs, a rim to clamp my throttle to, an empty bottom for my rudder pedals and a pull out tray!

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Not being able to afford a dedicated gaming computer, mine must do double-duty. Obviously this means that something like Ruggbutt's set-up (MAJOR drool, btw) is out of the question. It used to be pretty simple to go from this

01non-flying.jpg

to this

02FF2.jpg

But I recently purchased a G940 Flight Control system and putting the stick and the throttle on that keyboard tray was too confining, not to mention that the tray sags a bit when pulled all the way out and my legs constantly rub against it with my feet on the rudder pedals. Clearly something had to be done. But what? It had to provide support and clearance, place the controls at the proper position in relation to my body and be easily installed, removed and stored. Here's my :idea: .

The stick sits on this

07joystickplatebottom.jpg

which clips thusly onto the keyboard tray

08joystickplatemounted.jpg

using the two metal pieces at the top and is kept from sliding around by the wooden piece about halfway down. It's shown pulled out, but for flying the tray is slid all the way in so it has support across its entire width and therefore is held up securely.

The throttle posed a more interesting engineering challenge. It weighs a few pounds, so its support must be strong enough to hold that plus the weight of my arm resting on it. As you can see in the first picture, my left (throttle) side is almost even with the left edge of the desk. Placing it on a box might work (I in fact used a small folding TV dinner tray when the system first arrived) but it would either be way too big, making storage difficult, or very unstable. I needed to make something that would attach to the desk quickly and easily and yet provide strength and stability while basically floating in space.

The solution:

06throttleplatemounted.jpg

Removed it looks like this

04throttleplatedisengaged.jpg

The two white pieces are simply inner sections of curtain rod that are held to the central support by the vertical zip-ties. The horizontal zip-tie prevents the rods from sliding as the mount is put in place and removed. The central support is screwed and glued to the top plate for maximum strength and is the same thickness as the side of the desk. The white pieces slide in and out of this

05deskslides.jpg

and another on the inside of the desk. They are outer sections of the same curtain rod used on the mount's central support. The screw on the left prevents them from slipping during mounting and removal. There is a very small amount of wiggle to it right now, but I intend to notch the the front of the mount to fit over the side of the desk by an inch or so (a couple of cm, for our metric cousins :grin: ) which should remedy that situation.

All of the wood used was left over from when I reduced the size of the hutch that originally sat on top of the desk, so it matches perfectly and the metal pieces on the joystick plate are the clips from the curtain rod reshaped to suit my needs. Final result:

03G-940.jpg

for the cost of a large curtain rod, a small bag of screws and a few zip-ties. Build time was about four to five hours, inluding allowing the glue to dry. Installation requires simply moving the keyboard to the top of the desk, sliding the throttle mount in and clipping the joystick plate on. Disassembly is just as easy and as can be seen in the lower left of the first picture it takes up less than 2"x9" (5cm x 23cm) floor space when not in use. I deliberately cut the pieces longer than I felt I would need, just in case, and intend to cut them down to exactly the right size, now that I'm sure of what that is. The Joystick plate is versatile, too, and can be placed at any point on the keyboard tray. That way I can put it between my legs for most planes or move it to the right side for newer fly-by-wire planes like the F-16 should I ever want to venture past 1918 ( :no: ).

And yes, that's a pillow on the chair. I'm old, dammit!! :yes:

Ruggbutt - You were just waiting for the appropriate post to come along to post a pic of that "baby" ! :notworthy:

Seriously...can you post a list of the setup specs for your rig? I'd like to have it for a reference...just in case.

Lou- Please tell me you put that uniform on when you fly..:drinks:

Wow! nice job Typhoon. I'm thinking that I could modify that for my setup. What is the device on the left side, all that I have is a joystick and rudder pedals.

The device on the left side is a CH Products Pro Throttle.

I have a writeup and dimensions for the setup. If anyone wants them, PM me.

I don't recommend doing a google search on Hotass Positioner!

Especially if the significant other is around :fu2: LOL

I've been thinking on this for about a week and I finally have the solution - I'll be in my workshop executing a very simple design utilizing existing materials - photos to come later.

Alright guys...done with the project. I took an IKEA chair I had sitting around and an industrial wood shelf and put them together to make a nice simpit. The shelf was modified a bit to fit snug around the arms of the chair and it slides forward/backward if I want, but fits snug side-to-side. I just remove the shelf when not using as its not attached. It's just wide enough to fit my keyboard and joystick. I know you guys usually use a second computer for a map but I usually fly with the New York Yankees for those long runs without any action. :grin: All your photos and ideas helped me make my simpit so I appreciate it fellas. :salute:

Edited by Shiloh

I suppose, really, that we should all be sitting on a plank of wood or wicker chair and have a fan blowing cold wind in our faces.

I suppose, really, that we should all be sitting on a plank of wood or wicker chair and have a fan blowing cold wind in our faces.

Don't forget about the oil and smoke...ugghhh.

Shiloh,

My desk looks similar to yours :drinks:

gallery_66537_620_461105.jpg

The Bordeauxred Baron: "Bleech!!! An IKEA free swingink chair in ze cockpit of der Crumpet!

Look at zem namby-pamby, fastidious Weicheier pilotz!!!

Vatt do you say, if I shoot ze cotton wool out of your cushionz?!?! Mmuahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!"

ReDDoT, is that a "first aid kit" in the upper left corner? Very well prepared, I say! :grin:

Looking good, your cockpits, guys!

Shiloh,

My desk looks similar to yours :drinks:

Very much indeed ReDDoT. A little imagination and some spare lumber will do the trick every time. I must get a map - that is very cool indeed. I would like to have a nice one though and I'd probably get it framed as my rig is in my living room.

The Bordeauxred Baron: "Bleech!!! An IKEA free swingink chair in ze cockpit of der Crumpet!

Look at zem namby-pamby, fastidious Weicheier pilotz!!!

Vatt do you say, if I shoot ze cotton wool out of your cushionz?!?! Mmuahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!"

It's a common known fact there Olham (in my best Cliff Clavin voice) that the Germans landed their planes in a field in Sweden, invaded a IKEA store, and proceeded to loot all the cushioned chairs as Fokker refused to make comfortable seats in his planes. :blink:

Edited by Shiloh

ReDDoT, is that a "first aid kit" in the upper left corner? Very well prepared, I say! :grin:

Looking good, your cockpits, guys!

Puahaha :rofl:

Spending so much time flying OFF. My wife put it there for me. There will be useful either for me or her :grin:

Shiloh, print out Rabu & Olham`s 4 part OFF Map and glue them together:

Click - OFF Map Rabu & Olham - Parts 1 - 4