Sign in to follow this  
Geary

Series 1 in Windows 7 64-bit

Hi all,

This topic has probably been asked and answerd many times here but I can't seem to find a difinitive answer.

Will the Series 1 Strike Fighter games run in Windows 7 64-bit? Is yes, how?

I know Series 1 runs in Window 7 32-bit. That's what I used to have, but got a new rig and it's 64-bit. The games start, then cdt when I try to fly a mission.

Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

Geary

Not sure. It runs fine for me under Win 7 64 bit. Are you running a stock install? Where do you have it installed?

There are only three problems you should have running the series 1 games on Win 7 64:

1) Folder permissions to write, which can be avoided by installing the game in C:\Thirdwire\ rather than the default program files folder.

2) DirectX9 not up to date: go online and visit Microsoft to update DirectX9.

3) CTD on game exit. This is caused by the water shaders. Patching the game up to the Oct 2008 patch fixes this, or if you need to run an older revision, then you have to go into the terrain ini and disable the animated water shaders.

Anything else is due to problems not directly related to Win 7 64, such as a corrupt install or bad video driver, etc.

Also, make sure the screen resolution selected in the graphics options in the game setup menu is one supported by your monitor. When that gets set to an illegal value for your video card and/or monitor, that can cause a CTD when you try to fly a mission.

Edited by streakeagle

Also:

don't install to any of the C:/Program Files folders

for Win7 (and probably Vista too), install ONLY to the root of C:

ie:

C:\Wings Over Europe

this eliminates the permissions issues, and has no effect on the game

Edited by Wrench

I have all the strike fighter series installed in the programs(x86) folder. Never had a problem. No crashes either. Using win 7 64bit ultimate.

I have all the strike fighter series installed in the programs(x86) folder. Never had a problem.

Until you try to mod it, that is. Unless of, course, you defeat Windows UAC (not recommended).

Until you try to mod it, that is. Unless of, course, you defeat Windows UAC (not recommended).

I have mods installed too. Still never had a problem of any sort. Strange. :idea:

Also:

don't install to any of the C:/Program Files folders

for Win7 (and probably Vista too), install ONLY to the root of C:

ie:

C:\Wings Over Europe

this eliminates the permissions issues, and has no effect on the game

+1

Just verified my installations. Installed to where it wanted to (c:\programmes(x86)\thirdwire\blah blah etc). I have UAC set at it's lowest. My build is a Windows 7 64bit ultimate edition. I have fully modded versions of Wings over Vietnam (prefer gen1 for the air and ground expansion pack with no graphic anomalies), Wings over Korea (SFP1 Mod), Wings over Europe, Wings over Israel. I also have Wings Over Vietnam and Wings over Israel SF2 versions complete with mods. These are all installed where the programme installer put them, ie in the same place as mentioned above. Perhaps I am lucky, but I have absolutely no problems running any of them.

Today I have mostly been installing USAF (Janes) to a spare Win98 hard drive that I have bootable. Just need to get USAF Super Pro 9.4 from somewhere now. :salute::drinks::good: Happy New year.